House Price Crash Forum

Whitchurch, Hants

HOLA441

I just can't understand why Whitchurch in Hants is so expensive. It costs more to live in Whitchurch than it does further up the train line to London. It seems even as expensive as Newbury despite its Vodafone boom, or Winchester despite its heritage. It is a great place but with so little employment, why so expensive?

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA442
I just can't understand why Whitchurch in Hants is so expensive. It costs more to live in Whitchurch than it does further up the train line to London. It seems even as expensive as Newbury despite its Vodafone boom, or Winchester despite its heritage. It is a great place but with so little employment, why so expensive?

Eh! Its a home county's village thats why. Its very pretty and its between the M3 and M4 with access to the A34 for the Midlands. Its near both Winchester and Basingstoke and its full of real old money as well. Anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443
Eh! Its a home county's village thats why. Its very pretty and its between the M3 and M4 with access to the A34 for the Midlands. Its near both Winchester and Basingstoke and its full of real old money as well. Anything else.

All the other villages in the area are also have all those criteria. What differentiates it? What is 'real' old money?

HOLA444

If you know the area you maybe can help me. I've been looking down at the coast, but just seen a house just north of Whitchurch, it's right on the river test. Does the test have flooding problems in this area?

HOLA445

the test starts underground at oakley and appears above ground in overton

the road between the 2 can have water either side

deane is where the problem can get bad

ive seen the whole row of houses in loads of water many times and both roads to it flooded

HOLA446
the test starts underground at oakley and appears above ground in overton

the road between the 2 can have water either side

deane is where the problem can get bad

ive seen the whole row of houses in loads of water many times and both roads to it flooded

Many thanks, it's Longparish where I am looking at the house. It's only a couple of feet above the river level. Do you know this area? The house only looks 20 year old if that, I just wonder if it does flood there why they built it in the first place. Maybe it does not flood right there. Many thanks for you help on this one.

HOLA447
Many thanks, it's Longparish where I am looking at the house. It's only a couple of feet above the river level. Do you know this area? The house only looks 20 year old if that, I just wonder if it does flood there why they built it in the first place. Maybe it does not flood right there. Many thanks for you help on this one.

Try the Enviro Agency flood map at :

See "Are you at risk of flooding? Enter your postcode or placename to find out now..."

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...oods/31656.aspx

HOLA448
Try the Enviro Agency flood map at :

See "Are you at risk of flooding? Enter your postcode or placename to find out now..."

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...oods/31656.aspx

Many thanks, I did try it several times over the weekend and today, but it showed a blank map. It could be I deprived a village of it's idiot, but I hope not. I have just sent the an e-mail requesting the info.

If anyone knows about flooding here I would love to know.

cheers

HOLA449
If anyone knows about flooding here I would love to know.

I have worked in Farming and Forestry in that area on and off since 1987. I rented some land in Longparish until a couple of years ago, and know the village well.

Most of the land is chalk with flints (not the river valleys), so it behaves like a sponge. It can suck up a lot of water, but it sucks it up slowly. What this means if you have a lot of water in a short time it will be falling faster than it can be sucked up and there will be flooding. Whereas if you have a continuous downpour for weeks you'd be fine. The floods in Newbury, Thatcham, and Hungerford last year were a good example of this, with 20 minutes heavy rain causing floods. These were due to rain just the other side of the watershed from the Test, in the Kennet valley. Once the water falls faster than it can be absorbed it just cascades off the hills into the valleys.

My poor friends flooded out said it was just a wall of water that passed through. Unlike riverine flooding or sea flooding though, the water didn't settle, it just washed through very quickly - often down roads and other cuttings, and was absorbed quickly. The damage to houses occurs because the pressure forces sewage back up the system and explodes into peoples houses under pressure. Horrible.

There has been so much extraction of water that flooding off the river seems unlikely. Many other rivers nearby are dry (Lambourn, etc.). A lot of the fords have dried out.

Your risk is more likely to be a sheet of water cascading off the hills and into the rivers. The only protection is to be a bit higher than any adjacent road that the water will travel away from your house. People on hills got hit hard as the water moved with more force than in flat areas.

Anyway, Longparish is the best village in the area, though the southern tip has a bit of road noise. The village had a 'spirited discussion' a couple of years ago about a large social housing estate, though it didn't happen in the end. The community is good, and if I had the money I'd buy one of the houses there. There are two good pubs, and the Eastern expansion of Andover will bring investment.

HOLA4410
I have worked in Farming and Forestry in that area on and off since 1987. I rented some land in Longparish until a couple of years ago, and know the village well.

Most of the land is chalk with flints (not the river valleys), so it behaves like a sponge. It can suck up a lot of water, but it sucks it up slowly. What this means if you have a lot of water in a short time it will be falling faster than it can be sucked up and there will be flooding. Whereas if you have a continuous downpour for weeks you'd be fine. The floods in Newbury, Thatcham, and Hungerford last year were a good example of this, with 20 minutes heavy rain causing floods. These were due to rain just the other side of the watershed from the Test, in the Kennet valley. Once the water falls faster than it can be absorbed it just cascades off the hills into the valleys.

My poor friends flooded out said it was just a wall of water that passed through. Unlike riverine flooding or sea flooding though, the water didn't settle, it just washed through very quickly - often down roads and other cuttings, and was absorbed quickly. The damage to houses occurs because the pressure forces sewage back up the system and explodes into peoples houses under pressure. Horrible.

There has been so much extraction of water that flooding off the river seems unlikely. Many other rivers nearby are dry (Lambourn, etc.). A lot of the fords have dried out.

Your risk is more likely to be a sheet of water cascading off the hills and into the rivers. The only protection is to be a bit higher than any adjacent road that the water will travel away from your house. People on hills got hit hard as the water moved with more force than in flat areas.

Anyway, Longparish is the best village in the area, though the southern tip has a bit of road noise. The village had a 'spirited discussion' a couple of years ago about a large social housing estate, though it didn't happen in the end. The community is good, and if I had the money I'd buy one of the houses there. There are two good pubs, and the Eastern expansion of Andover will bring investment.

What can I say,replies don't get any better than yours, I thank you. So the river is not the problem as such. I'll do a bit more research.

Many thanks again for your effort.