House Price Crash Forum

Around The World In 80 Trades

200p

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

The end actually said he was in dispute regarding the payment for the wood , and since that was worth 11500 , all in all he may have made only £1000 from the entire trip.

I do think he has the right kind of tact though ie going out there and taking the risks..... the olde he who dares mentality and thats probably how many wealthy people (when I say that I mean not people born into wealth an example is that Stellios guy of easy jet who's dad gave him the money to start the airline without this initial investment he'd be a nobody) make their money.

HOLA446

I think the moral of his story is when trying to do a deal,

have a camera crew hanging around.

Seriously, I watched the whole series, no mention of taxes, duties, embargo's, bribes, cartels, mafia,

shipping insurance blah blah.

What would interest me more is a show about the making of this show, looking at all the back office dealings.

Finally if anyone is thinking about exporting a car or wine to Thailand, good luck you will need it.

HOLA447
The end actually said he was in dispute regarding the payment for the wood , and since that was worth 11500 , all in all he may have made only £1000 from the entire trip.

I do think he has the right kind of tact though ie going out there and taking the risks..... the olde he who dares mentality and thats probably how many wealthy people (when I say that I mean not people born into wealth an example is that Stellios guy of easy jet who's dad gave him the money to start the airline without this initial investment he'd be a nobody) make their money.

Yes, the big paydays do often come from luck. ie you've got a property that's the key piece of the jigsaw for a developer's plans.

Although, I think some people on here overstate luck, like when they say Alan Sugar got lucky with personal computers. Yes, if you had a consumer electronics business in the eighties you too might too have got lucky but, if you were sat on your ar5e at home you probably wouldn't have. Got to be in it to win it.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I think the moral of his story is when trying to do a deal,

have a camera crew hanging around.

Seriously, I watched the whole series, no mention of taxes, duties, embargo's, bribes, cartels, mafia,

shipping insurance blah blah.

What would interest me more is a show about the making of this show, looking at all the back office dealings.

Yeah, it was all so easy wasn't it? Just going to ship something here, ship something there, lardy da, no probs. How many people were there behind the scenes sorting stuff out for this guy? I only caught the last episode just now, but I'd be surprised if he dealt with all the paperwork, phone calls, translation and form filling himself. I'm also very doubtful he really made a profit, and even more doubtful that his expenses for 6 months on the road were only 5 grand, that's 27 quid a day for accommodation, transport and food etc. Having been on the road myself many a time I think 5 grand was a remarkably slim budget considering all the air travel involved.

HOLA4411
FWIW, I've just shunned paper to invest in natural gas ETF, down to 60p at the moment, 80% drop since a year ago,

very low downside, massive potential upside. Especially when you consider fossil fuel depletion.

ETF's are still paper, if indeed you're talking about the cash variety. The bank/institution goes down and your ETF goes with it. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that particular basket if I were you, some yeah, but not all. Hedge yourself with some physical gold.

HOLA4412
Yeah, it was all so easy wasn't it? Just going to ship something here, ship something there, lardy da, no probs. How many people were there behind the scenes sorting stuff out for this guy? I only caught the last episode just now, but I'd be surprised if he dealt with all the paperwork, phone calls, translation and form filling himself. I'm also very doubtful he really made a profit, and even more doubtful that his expenses for 6 months on the road were only 5 grand, that's 27 quid a day for accommodation, transport and food etc. Having been on the road myself many a time I think 5 grand was a remarkably slim budget considering all the air travel involved.

After deducting the royalties from C4 for producing this crap.

HOLA4413
that's 27 quid a day for accommodation, transport and food etc. Having been on the road myself many a time I think 5 grand was a remarkably slim budget considering all the air travel involved.

You are wrong , Mondo Enduro in 1995 did a 404 day motorcycle trip from London to Magadan -> Alaska to Chilie -> South Africa to Saudi -> London , they managed it on £15 a day. You might say yeah but that was 14 years ago and it was. This involved a ferry from Italy to Greece, a ferry across the Caspian , a Barge to the North of Lake Baikai , an airlift to Anchorage, a ferry to Columbia , an airlift to South Africa, and also a cargo boat across to Saudi from Ethopia.

Alan Kelly of Poor circulation managed Preston to South Korea -> Los Angeles -> New York on £20 a day and came in under budget this was in 2008 , he rode a VERY thirsty 1050cc triple cylinder bike , and stayed in hotels almost every night and did not cook his own food. This involved shipping a 270 kilo bike across the pacific and the Atlantic. A serious repair amongst other things.

I have a target budget of £20 per day in Europe, dropping to £12.50 a day from Kazakhstan and beyond, I recall a joke my contact in Kazakh told me, that foreigners have to pay a 25% tax on petrol to pay for the upkeep of roads, how much is petrol I asked? , 22p a (US) gallon he told me , circa 2007, its gone up to about 23p a litre these days.

Its a cost of living thing , in that the poverty line circa 2008 in Russia was $134 US a month. Hence even though the £ amounts are small in Siberia its significant. Frugal bikes camping stoves and tents are minimising our costs, we have 97 days of travel and we are expected to spend 3 days in hotels (one is for russian visa registration) the other day in a hotel is in Aralask where the ground is too toxic to sleep on , and the other in Semipalantisnk near the Polygon where USSR tested 449 nuclear bombs again the ground is too toxic to stay on with only the towns being decontaminated.

If you want to stay in the Hilton everynigh of course £5000 isn't enough but there are comfortable alternatives a typical 4* hotel in HK is £85~£235 a night, you can get a small ensuite room in the Mansions for £6 a night.

Edited by kennichi

HOLA4414

He clearly did not live on £27 a day. One episode he was driving around in a brand new discovery, £27 quid wouldn't even cover the fuel, let alone the hire charge.

EDIT: His internet access and his phone calls, would probably cost more than £27 a day too

Edited by spectre

HOLA4415
You are wrong , Mondo Enduro in 1995 did a 404 day motorcycle trip from London to Magadan -> Alaska to Chilie -> South Africa to Saudi -> London , they managed it on £15 a day. You might say yeah but that was 14 years ago and it was. This involved a ferry from Italy to Greece, a ferry across the Caspian , a Barge to the North of Lake Baikai , an airlift to Anchorage, a ferry to Columbia , an airlift to South Africa, and also a cargo boat across to Saudi from Ethopia.

Alan Kelly of Poor circulation managed Preston to South Korea -> Los Angeles -> New York on £20 a day and came in under budget this was in 2008 , he rode a VERY thirsty 1050cc triple cylinder bike , and stayed in hotels almost every night and did not cook his own food. This involved shipping a 270 kilo bike across the pacific and the Atlantic. A serious repair amongst other things.

I have a target budget of £20 per day in Europe, dropping to £12.50 a day from Kazakhstan and beyond, I recall a joke my contact in Kazakh told me, that foreigners have to pay a 25% tax on petrol to pay for the upkeep of roads, how much is petrol I asked? , 22p a (US) gallon he told me , circa 2007, its gone up to about 23p a litre these days.

Its a cost of living thing , in that the poverty line circa 2008 in Russia was $134 US a month. Hence even though the £ amounts are small in Siberia its significant. Frugal bikes camping stoves and tents are minimising our costs, we have 97 days of travel and we are expected to spend 3 days in hotels (one is for russian visa registration) the other day in a hotel is in Aralask where the ground is too toxic to sleep on , and the other in Semipalantisnk near the Polygon where USSR tested 449 nuclear bombs again the ground is too toxic to stay on with only the towns being decontaminated.

If you want to stay in the Hilton everynigh of course £5000 isn't enough but there are comfortable alternatives a typical 4* hotel in HK is £85~£235 a night, you can get a small ensuite room in the Mansions for £6 a night.

I'm not saying 5k is impossible, if you're camping or staying in a $5 dorm bed in a hostel and going about the place on the local bus or train everywhere or riding an economical motorbike then yeah, quite possible.

Now I only saw the last episode, but based on the fact he was flying all over the shop, staying in hotels, probably taking plenty of taxis to meet all his prospective customers etc., I have a tough time believing he did it on that budget. And did he never have a beer? That's a dollar a pop per bottle right there, all adds up.

HOLA4416
He clearly did not live on £27 a day. One episode he was driving around in a brand new discovery, £27 quid wouldn't even cover the fuel, let alone the hire charge.

Thanks Spectre, didn't know that. So there we have it, he's a complete con merchant. Of course he had to claim he made a profit otherwise he'd have looked like a complete d1ck, therefore he fiddled the expenses to get the right result IMO. Total nonsense.

HOLA4417

He is a STR.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/around-...h-conor-woodman

Added to which, selling your property was probably the most financially astute thing you could have done anyway.

Yeah, ironically it was probably the best trade of the whole bunch, selling at the top of the market.................... ...............

I've been negotiating over the rent on my new flat ......