House Price Crash Forum
Guest Ian Chesterton

Government Loses Vote On Gurkhas!

So presumably you will complain about Cameron voting to let so many of these Gurkha economic migrants (who will cost us god knows how much) into the country?

Can't have it both ways. If you don't like immigrants thay all have to count - and so you agree with Brown on the Gurkhas. ;)

Nope, i'm happy to have anyone who has fought for the country allowed to stay in the country.

How is this applicable to the other 'economic migrants'?

The point is, the 'god knows how much' it'll cost us is money they've earnt and deserve. Thats not what you could say about a lot of foreign labour wanting to come into the country.

Shocking though, labour finally gets off their backside to take a stand against unfettered immigration but manage to set upon the one group of people that 99% of the population would welcome with gratitude.

It just shows how out of touch they are. I'd happily see a Gurkha come here and be clothed and housed and have his family fed. It's no less than someone who has offered to sacrifice his life for this stinking cesspit of a country deserves. Why they do it I'll never know.

So presumably you will complain about Cameron voting to let so many of these Gurkha economic migrants (who will cost us god knows how much) into the country?

Can't have it both ways. If you don't like immigrants thay all have to count - and so you agree with Brown on the Gurkhas. ;)

What a lame strawman argument. I've no objection to anyone having the right to remain in this country (regardless of the cost), if they've been prepared to serve, fight and possibly die for said country. I think the Gurkhas fit the bill, don't you?

edit:text gremlins

Edited by bomberbrown

Didn't see the end but did see the chat in the studio afterwards with Andrew Neil IIRC ?

PMQ is repeated tonight on BBC Parliament at 19.30.

Worth a watch for once. Freeview channel 81.

Thanks for the heads up. Will be worth a watch for the laughter directed at Broon, at the start for the question on when he will be repeating his next comedy performance on you tube and at the end for him mincing off after the speaker announced 'statement from the PM' he really is a bumbling buffoon.

Guest anorthosite
Thanks for the heads up. Will be worth a watch for the laughter directed at Broon, at the start for the question on when he will be repeating his next comedy performance on you tube and at the end for him mincing off after the speaker announced 'statement from the PM' he really is a bumbling buffoon.

Watch out for when he doesn't get a big cheer when he sits down after talking about expenses towards the end :lol:

That's a theory too far IMHO. Labour may be facing electoral catastrophe. Not only will they be out of government for a generation but they may soon cease to exist as a political force.

isn't that what all the social housing and gravy train benefits has been about? appeasing an army of support and enabling them to breed a future army support...

Have a watch for the chick to the left of Brown. Think it was Harriet Harman. She looks rather embarrassed the entire time.

Also there is a Labour backbencher who stands up and shouts his support for the opposition.

All in all I got the impression he does not have that much support from his party. The usual cheers of support seemed rather forced.

And people think the Lib-Dems would prop up a Labour government in a hung parliament?.Not a chance.Theyd back the Tories.In return for scrapping ID cards,a possible reform of council tax and green spending.

Clegg has played a very good game.He has taken the Libs where they should be,away from the left to the centre.Even a bit right of centre.I wouldnt be at all surprised if a role for one or two Libs were found in a Tory government.

Cable city reform?.

They both have the same agenda.Wipe out Labour and make the Libs the opposition longer term.That would suit both parties.We could see a huge change in the political landscape post election.

:rolleyes:

Cable for Chancellor

Rubbish!! These are guys that have put their lives on the line for the UK. Not quite the normal economic or political migrant we usually let in with no loyalty or even worse trying to destabilise the UK !!

What a lame strawman argument. I've no objection to anyone having the right to remain in this country (regardless of the cost), if they've been prepared to serve, fight and possibly die for said country. I think the Gurkhas fit the bill, don't you?

edit:text gremlins

I think most of the country agrees with you.

I did a 5,000m+ hike in Uganda. 15 of us with gucci padded, hip-supported 120l berghens. Sherpas took them off us - each bloke took 5 packs, wrapped them in a bit of canvas and and carried them hanging off their foreheads with a bit of old dried-banana-skin rope. Hard to picture, but very impressive.

red-cross-volunteers-2.jpg

Gucci padded Bergens.. :o

5 each on their head. That is pretty impressive.

Thanks god this has happened today.....I was beginning to think that there was something going on (conspiracy) if we managed a full day without something humiliating happening to our beloved PM - it was really quite unsettling for a while :lol:

Here is a list of those Labour MP's who defied Gordon Brown and voted with the Conservatives and LibDems

The Labour rebels:

Dianne Abbott

Ian Cawsey

Harry Cohen

Jeremy Corbyn

Paul Farrelly

Mark Fisher

Neil Gerrard

Kate Hoey

Kelvin Hopkins

Joan Humble

Glenda Jackson

John McDonnell

Shona McIsaac

Andrew Macinlay

Gordon Marsden

Bob Marshall Andrews

Julie Morgan

Nick Palmer

Stephen Pound

Nick Rainsford

Andy Reed

Linda Riordan

Alan Simpson

Andrew Smith

Paul Truswell

Keith Vaz

Robert Wareing

Mike Wood

Thank you

Here is a list of those Labour MP's who defied Gordon Brown and voted with the Conservatives and LibDems

The Labour rebels:

Dianne Abbott

Ian Cawsey

Harry Cohen

Jeremy Corbyn

Paul Farrelly

Mark Fisher

Neil Gerrard

Kate Hoey

Kelvin Hopkins

Joan Humble

Glenda Jackson

John McDonnell

Shona McIsaac

Andrew Macinlay

Gordon Marsden

Bob Marshall Andrews

Julie Morgan

Nick Palmer

Stephen Pound

Nick Rainsford

Andy Reed

Linda Riordan

Alan Simpson

Andrew Smith

Paul Truswell

Keith Vaz

Robert Wareing

Mike Wood

Thank you

Yes thankyou and avoid woods and hill walking for a while! :lol:

You see PMQ today ? Never seen so much disgust and derision - from all sides. Those sitting around Broon looks positively embarrassed.

A few chaps from his own side stood up to give him a bollocking. Actually good stuff for a change. Politicians trying to do the right thing for once. Or maybe they were just appearing to do that. Either way I wasn't disgusted with the MP's in the Commons today. Unusual.

My sentiments exactly. Issue, not party, politics.

I think you miss the point that by selflessly risking their lives for [y]our country, as they have for generations, they earn the right to settle here. Fair's fair.

"Economic immigrants", however, denotes those who come here for selfish reasons because the grass is greener, with no such moral claim to settle in Blighty.

Didn't Brown leave too early and have to come back and pick up his papers and read something else out. Something weird happened towards the end of PMQ's but I wasn't paying too much attention.

The speaker called the PM for a statement but he was up and leaving at that point and when he realised he turned round to go back to the dispatch box. I think some naughty Tory shouted something like, "making another U-turn?" and there was uproar.