House Price Crash Forum

A Place In The Sun

You must be watching a different program to me. I always find the program "a place in the sun, home and away" to be very revealing of the stupid prices here.

Yes you can have a scummy terrace in england for £200k or a villa in spain with swimming pool for £120k :lol:

Yes, but look at this.

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...amp;pid=2261920

I think the programme is the estate agent version of Harry Enfield's "I Saw You Coming" shop.

Edited by Dangerous Woman

Not the prettiest of houses, but you get lots for your money here in sunny South Africa.

The only thing is the £ has really been sliding badly against the SA Rand over the last couple of months. Not long ago it was R15/£ and it is now below R13/£. This means SA houses have gone up by 20% (if buying in £) since Christmas. :ph34r:

Not the prettiest of houses, but you get lots for your money here in sunny South Africa.

The only thing is the £ has really been sliding badly against the SA Rand over the last couple of months. Not long ago it was R15/£ and it is now below R13/£. This means SA houses have gone up by 20% (if buying in £) since Christmas. :ph34r:

Strange, I've never ever heard another English person suggest the idea of moving to south africa. Oz, NZ, Canada or Europe, yes. On the other hand 1000s of Saffers have been fleeing to the UK to start a new life over recent years.

Wonder why :rolleyes:

My experience (from working in SA for short periods over the last 12 years or so has been that the value of the Rand is ..

Massively variable Do I remember as low as 8? or as high as19 (just shy of 20) Against Sterling.

Slightly incomprehensible .. And very open to Sentiment ... Event's that don't directly affect SA in Zimbabwe can push it down .. and a change in sentiment over the fitness of Zuma to run the country can push it up ..

It was terribly high a couple of years ago when various banks were buying up huge swathes of CapeTown. The basis for all this was that the big worry was that in twenty years SA would be like Zimbabwe is now (Highly unlikely in my view). Then the banks started buying property and because THEY had confidence in the country the currency rose .. (I have confidence in South Africa but I wouldn't trust a bankers opinion of it ..)

I have to confess I've seen propertiies in Somerset West that I could change my life for ..

Wow - I like some of those pads in Orlando - handy for the hols and bigger than anything I can get back in the UK.

I think you can stop for six months with a B2 visa with proof of means of support. Other than that its only 90 day per year.

Perhaps live in a sh*thole in the UK most of they year, and get somewhere decent in the States.

At those prices wouldn't be too concerned if they rose in value, dropped to nothing or stayed the same.

Strange, I've never ever heard another English person suggest the idea of moving to south africa. Oz, NZ, Canada or Europe, yes. On the other hand 1000s of Saffers have been fleeing to the UK to start a new life over recent years.

Wonder why :rolleyes:

I hope you are not insulting me by thinking this Scot is English! :P

Yes, there are lots of people bailing out of SA for various reasons: high violent crime rate, AIDS, poor government etc. Some come to the UK, but I think NZ and Oz are more popular destinations for the South Africans. My wife is South African and she came over as a Social Worker (Essex County Council went out there and recruited 30+ Saffas. I reckon about half have already gone back there and several others are still thinking about going back there. It's handy to come to the UK and earn 3 times the salary and build up some savings and then go back and buy a decent sized home rather than a UK rabbit hutch.

My wife and I are thinking about going out to SA ourselves. The high crime rate and poor wages are the negatives, but you get good and bad areas wherever you go. We have bought a 2.5 acre plot of land with a glimpse of the sea in one of the safest parts of South Africa. The plan was to build a big house on the land (a 4 bed 4 bath main wing with a separate wing containing 2 2 bed holiday cottages to let out to tourists). This isn't looking such a great plan now, as cement and materials have risen by 25% over the past 2 years and there is a shortage of skilled builders as they are all working on the 2010 soccer stadia! Meanwhile, the cost of built houses have dropped by 20% over the same period so we might just buy a ready built house and then decide whether to develop or sell the land. The other big worry is the current weakness of the £ against the Rand. It's not really that just the £ has weakened - it is a case that the rand has recently strengthened against the pound, dollar and Euro! :ph34r:

So although SA has problems - they do seem to be weathering the current Global economic conditions better than the UK if exchange rate is anything to go by! :blink:

I hope you are not insulting me by thinking this Scot is English! :P

So although SA has problems - they do seem to be weathering the current Global economic conditions better than the UK if exchange rate is anything to go by! :blink:

There were many reasons for the chicken run of the early 90's but the there are other reasons why SA is not a destination for Brit's emigrating. My passport that expired in 2002 was almost double it's "ordinary thickness", this was because for every trip I had to get a work visa which was complicated and expensive for my employer.

Also before 1994 all you need to enter South Africa as an immigrant was a white skin, They would take ANYONE as long as they were white .. This changed in the 90's and immigration for white people was very very hard .. Even people who married white South Africans had trouble ..

Now its all kinda "Normal" again I can work in SA for up to 30 days by a simple declaration and if you have skills that South Africa requires then it's easy to immigrate regardless of colour.

My experience (from working in SA for short periods over the last 12 years or so has been that the value of the Rand is ..

Massively variable Do I remember as low as 8? or as high as19 (just shy of 20) Against Sterling.

Slightly incomprehensible .. And very open to Sentiment ... Event's that don't directly affect SA in Zimbabwe can push it down .. and a change in sentiment over the fitness of Zuma to run the country can push it up ..

It was terribly high a couple of years ago when various banks were buying up huge swathes of CapeTown. The basis for all this was that the big worry was that in twenty years SA would be like Zimbabwe is now (Highly unlikely in my view). Then the banks started buying property and because THEY had confidence in the country the currency rose .. (I have confidence in South Africa but I wouldn't trust a bankers opinion of it ..)

I have to confess I've seen propertiies in Somerset West that I could change my life for ..

Yes, some of the security estates in Somerset West have amazing views of False Bay. Somerset West is still very popular apparently with Germans and Irish people buying second homes.

We were trying to get a bit closer to the sea, so bought a few km further along the False Bay coast in Gordon's Bay. We bought one of the Gustrouw smallholdings on the edge of town and the plot is only 2km (as the crow flies) from the sea. They have also rezoned the plot from agricultural (2 houses per Ha) to residential (30 houses per hectare). This is a double-edged sword: on one hand the land is now worth a lot more than we bought it 2.5 years ago - we could probably sell it for 3-4 times the original purchase price. On the other hand we bought the land for the convenience - just out of town, but you have plenty of space and it retains a "country" feel to it. It will now end up being a sprawling housing estate of 5000 houses, as over 200Ha has been rezoned residential and shopping (we would have a small new shopping centre built 800m from the land and another larger one 2km away). I have my eye on 2 great properties in GB if we do sell the land. One is a large 6 bed 3 storey house in GB itself (I have found it on Google Earth and it is mountainside and only 300m from the sea). The other is a 1Ha smallholding with a 4 bed detached, a 3 bed detached and a 2 bed cottage already built. We don't know where this is, so we would need to get out there to see how close it is to the new N2 etc). Both of these places could be a "straight swap" for our land if we could sell our land to a developer for 4x the original purchase price.

Another frustrating thing is how slow things happen in SA - they were supposed to be building the new N2 toll road and this was going to come within 900m of our plot. We hoped this would be done before we built, so we could decide if we could put up with the noise. They have been talking about doing this for 10+ years but they still haven't started building it!

Yes you can have a scummy terrace in england for £200k or a villa in spain with swimming pool for £120k :lol:

Can you. Whenever I watch these programs the Spanish villa is 450K (GBP). Yes, it's cheap by the standards of the same thing in the UK, but it's still a bloody expensive second home. Not something that the average Johnny in the street can afford

tim