House Price Crash Forum

Number 10 Epetition Gathering Steam - Gordon Resign

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/please-go/

The epetition that was posted last night calling for Gordon Brown to resign seems to be gathering steam. Over 5000 signatories now.

Edited by mikelivingstone
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a sticky thread on this. Why the other thread about it went off-topic is beyond me.

Agreed.

Also suggest people link to it on facebook and email their friends.

I send mails to 50 people yesterday evening asking them to sign - a lot of them will also pass it on to their contacts as well - many being certified Brown haters.

This thing really does have steam.

Over 100 signatories between 7am and 8pm on a Saturday morning. This will ramp up later today.

I'd suggest people start posting links to it on some of the national newspaper websites, it will then get picked up by the reported/editors who will cover it and then make itself feeding.

Added my name to the list.

Everyone needs to sign this.

Anyone emailed Conservative Central office, Cameron et al should all sign it.

I know someone who works there (a University friend). I have sent it.

I am also now positing the petition in the comment sections of newspaper websites. A few will read it there, but the aim is that the editorial staff get wind of this. Its fine it being in the register, but we need this to hit the mainstream press. If the Telegraph, Mail, Express, Times run this it will go above a million signatures.

Could Gordon become the first electronically deposed Prime Minister/President/Head of State?

I like this idea as I don't support demonstrations, as they turn violent and people get injured including the police and I am a strong supporter of the idea of Democracy and the power of writing to political representatives. This epetition in many ways would be the ultimate democratic expression.

I think the end game is that it will become so overwhelming with Millions of the British Public Signing Up, or Gordon will be forced to pull the plug on the system which itself would snowball and bring about the end of his stay in Downing Street. May be not quite Watergate, but similar effect.

The pen is mightier than the sword.

Or in this case the keyboard is mightier than the sword.

I think it would be nice for Brown to be the first PM in history forced to resign by the people signing a petition asking for him to go.

However he would see not resigning as the "right thing to do" although I think a large petition would cause him all sorts of problems politically.

Currently looks like the petition is in position number 26 out of the total list. Not bad, as it has only been up a shortwhile.

It needs to get to number 1, and personally from an HPC point of view, I'd take satisfaction from it overtaking Martin Lewis' petition (which in itself is worthy) which is in the number 2 slot.

Another 5,000 names passed to MI5 :ph34r:

I don't think so. This is a democratic exercise and the security services are there to protect our democracy and the national interest - not to play poltical games in support of the Prime Minister of the day.

I take comfort in remembering that the Queen is the Head of State not Gordon Brown. Gordon is in effect a tempory manager who can be removed by the people, whereas the Monarch is ultimate expression of the British people and is there to protect us in the constitutional sense from people like Gordon Brown. Losing the role of Kaiser in 1918 is ultimately what let Hitler gain total power in Germany.

Gordon is a nasty interruption in what has otherwise been a successful, stable and tolerant Country for hundreds of years. When Mervyn King went to see the Queen, I really did get my hopes up that Her Majesty might dismiss the Prime Minister and call and election.

Like they care what people think. :rolleyes:

Not the point. If this gets to the top of the list, it will get reported and will gain evenmore momentum.

Chances are with Gordon's temper if he does feel the urge to go and that he doesn't have the support of the party, he won't let the party stay in power, he'll just call and election and then resign.

Like printers, like the Labour Party.

Actually why doesn't he do the same to the printer at the Bank of England - now that I would support.

Not the point. If this gets to the top of the list, it will get reported and will gain evenmore momentum.

Chances are with Gordon's temper if he does feel the urge to go and that he doesn't have the support of the party, he won't let the party stay in power, he'll just call and election and then resign.

Actually why doesn't he do the same to the printer at the Bank of England - now that I would support.

+ 1

It keeps on rolling, over 5400 now.

I'm with you, Mike.

Johnny, can't you see that if this gets big it will help the cause to oust Brown?

I'm telling everyone I know, emailing, texting, the lot.

I'm with you, Mike.

Johnny, can't you see that if this gets big it will help the cause to oust Brown?

I'm telling everyone I know, emailing, texting, the lot.

Deadman, absolutely.

This petition is moving up the list like a rocket. It will pass 6000 in the next hour, and probably 10,000 by the end of today, putting it close to the top of the list.

Then a national paper will pick it up and off we go.