House Price Crash Forum

Media Spin

In the morning as some background noise I put on BBC world. Grim I know :) This morning I was sort of listening and I suddenly reliased that every single story was depressing in some way. Not that the story was depressing just the way they spun it made it so.

For example...

Microsoft didn't make as much profit as they are used too! They still MADE 3.5 billion but apparently they are now in a PLIGHT!!!

To put this in perspective they have paid all their running costs and wages still made 3.5 thousand million dollars and are in a PLIGHT! I WISH I was in a PLIGHT!

Every story they present is spun in this way to the negative. So onto the next little Gem

It appears that musicians are struggling because since the credit crunch started the likes of Paul Mc and Elton et al have seen their wealth drop by 25% to some 450 million each! Does that qualify for PLIGHT? is it even news?

So I would just like to say

mod edit (swearing removed)

rant over :ph34r:

In the last 48 hours they seem to have done a 180 degree about turn on how they spin stories.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what the catalyst was, but until Weds they spun everything in a positive light.

If you've only just noticed the spin, you have obviously been too willing to believe the (ahem) 'good news' they have peddled ad nauseum.

In the morning as some background noise I put on BBC world. Grim I know :) This morning I was sort of listening and I suddenly reliased that every single story was depressing in some way. Not that the story was depressing just the way they spun it made it so.

For example...

Microsoft didn't make as much profit as they are used too! They still MADE 3.5 billion but apparently they are now in a PLIGHT!!!

To put this in perspective they have paid all their running costs and wages still made 3.5 thousand million dollars and are in a PLIGHT! I WISH I was in a PLIGHT!

Every story they present is spun in this way to the negative. So onto the next little Gem

It appears that musicians are struggling because since the credit crunch started the likes of Paul Mc and Elton et al have seen their wealth drop by 25% to some 450 million each! Does that qualify for PLIGHT? is it even news?

I ******ing hate the *****ing ******* ******ing shit scum the cunting bbc are

Excellent swearathon - how did that get through the filter?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

For example...

But, you are supposed to identify with the aspirational icon class and take comfort that you are not alone in your existential woes, they have had to suffer the indignity of falling from "obscenely well off" to "still rather comfortable thanks"

Guest skullingtonjoe

For example...

I think it`s pretty fair to say that anyone of reasonable intellect would feel the same way.

The Beeb does not offer value for money (I only watch BBC news 24 when SKY is showing adverts). Most of the BBC directors do not know what a real plight is because they have a captive audience who have to pay the licence fee whether or not they watch it.

Freedom of choice, eh? <_<:( :angry:

Edited by skullingtonjoe

Whilst the BBC remains the mouthpiece for a corrupt government it is far from alone in the media firmament. The entire global media circus is owned by small number of very rich people (and governments), and they all peddle what they are paid to say.

Now, whilst I am not the BBC's greatest fan it is possibly the least corrupt of any mainstream media outlet. Just watching ITV, SKY, and FOX, makes me realise that in comparison the BBC is a bastion of honesty.

The BBC will eventually fall into total dictatorial governership when the licence is revoked and it becomes just like every other rich person's megaphone. Maybe Dickie Branson will buy it and we will have 24 hour Virgin related media content.

Be careful what you wish for, if you think it is bad now,you ain't seen nothing yet.........

In the last 48 hours they seem to have done a 180 degree about turn on how they spin stories.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what the catalyst was, but until Weds they spun everything in a positive light.

If you've only just noticed the spin, you have obviously been too willing to believe the (ahem) 'good news' they have peddled ad nauseum.

I have it on good authority (i.e. friends working there) that the BBC middle management are fighting for their jobs and desperately self-justifying themselves right now as the credit crunch arrives at the public sector's door.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Talking of BBC spin - anyone catch last night's new Eastenders storyline when Zainab Masood becomes a 'savvy' properdee speculator, chpping in £40k with her failed property 'millionaire' long-lost son

Just wait till the Homes Under the Hammer presenters get a `guest slot` <_<

I assumed they have turned because most of them are on over 150k (the presenters and editors that is).

Oh ffs are some of you for real?

The 1st poster thinks they spin everything in a negative light

The 2nd poster thinks they spin everything in a positive light

The 3rd poster thinks they spun everything in a positive light until Wednesday then started spinning everything in a negative light.

Can't the bears get their facts straight, give up their paranoid fantasies and admit the BBC just report the news.

Edited by bingobob777

Oh ffs are some of you for real?

The 1st poster thinks they spin everything in a negative light

The 2nd poster thinks they spin everything in a positive light

The 3rd poster thinks they spun everything in a positive light until Wednesday then started spinning everything in a negative light.

Can't the bears get their facts straight, give up their paranoid fantasies and admit the BBC just report the news.

FFS is Bob real????

Bob, I am the one who said the mood has changed.

The beeb has long had the ability immediately spot a VI - such as when the AA want to have a pop about fuel tax increases.

But estate agents and mortgage peddlars have always been considered to be housing experts.

Since Wednesday I believe the mood at the beeb has changed. The general tone of reporting seems completely different. Hence I was inclined to agree that the OP may have had a point that todays reporting may have been overly negative.

And there you have it. A link between the 3 statements that you thought were mutually exclusive.

David Cameron was on the Today Programme this morning talking about what they will do WHEN they get elected.

1. Scrap ID card scheme

2. Reform the ridiculous tax credit system

3. Scrap to NHS database if it's not too far down the line (i.e. if Labour haven't fast-tracked it through).

NuLab are toast.

Why doesnt he promise to scrap the license fee, now that has to be a vote winner!

Whilst the BBC remains the mouthpiece for a corrupt government it is far from alone in the media firmament. The entire global media circus is owned by small number of very rich people (and governments), and they all peddle what they are paid to say.

Now, whilst I am not the BBC's greatest fan it is possibly the least corrupt of any mainstream media outlet. Just watching ITV, SKY, and FOX, makes me realise that in comparison the BBC is a bastion of honesty.

The big difference is that we know Fox is right wing biased, that ITV is lightweight and that Sky (like Fox) is part of Murdoch's empire. We can therefore judge the content on those grounds, just like we do with newspapers, blogs, etc.

BUT the BBC is seen by many people as unbiased and therefore the bastion of truth. Hence they peddle the government's spin and people don't question it properly.