House Price Crash Forum

Salisbury Anyone?

babnye

HOLA441

Yet estate agents don't seem to be getting the message - look at this from MacKillop and Gregory which came on -today

320 for a little terrace in a street where property usually goes for around 250 in a market where nothing is selling - it hasn't even got a separate dining room -crazy!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Yet estate agents don't seem to be getting the message - look at this from MacKillop and Gregory which came on -today

320 for a little terrace in a street where property usually goes for around 250 in a market where nothing is selling - it hasn't even got a separate dining room -crazy!

Goodness that is optimistic isn't it. Your really found a gem there. Anyway, where do you park?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I like this house but it is badly overlooked at the back by houses in Hallows Close - a little row of 5 terraces.

Good price for the area and nicely done. What do you reckon? Anyone know the area?

m

It looks really nice, but I don't follow stuff above 220,000, max, so I don't know what else there would be. Quite understand your concern about the stuff at the back, it would put me off, a bit but I am ultra cautious.

Incidentally I sold a house through Mcillop and Gregory once, they seemed ok and certainly didn't overprice. (In fact no agent overpriced any of my properties ever, most underpriced, its a myth that estate agents overprice - they want quick sales. Its probably the people selling).

HOLA446

m

It looks really nice, but I don't follow stuff above 220,000, max, so I don't know what else there would be. Quite understand your concern about the stuff at the back, it would put me off, a bit but I am ultra cautious.

Incidentally I sold a house through Mcillop and Gregory once, they seemed ok and certainly didn't overprice. (In fact no agent overpriced any of my properties ever, most underpriced, its a myth that estate agents overprice - they want quick sales. Its probably the people selling).

I find McKillops properties are often overpriced, although I would expect on this occasion the vendor has inflated their estimate. Looks like a prime example of someone thinking they'll make a profit out of having done work.

To mirror the views expressed recently on this thread I think the market is dead as a dodo at the moment. Very little of any quality coming on. It is worth noting that during the Spring anything that was of really good quality sold at close to 2007 prices. It's the houses with compromises (poor position / layout / area) that are sticking. It doesn't help that most are overpriced to boot.

Anecdotally most people I talk to still can't understand why I've not bought over the last few years. The classic 'renting is dead money' one is heard about once a week at my work. I continue to pedal the line that the interest payments on a mortgage would be roughly comparable to our rent (not taking into account the interest we earn on our deposit). This is met with bemusement and a kind of blank look that says everything about people's inability to understand simple concepts where property is concerned. Still even a 20% correction is looking very optimistic as I sit and write.

HOLA447

That seems like a nice little corner of town, perhaps, if you're retired or can walk to work, and the house is pretty nice. but parking a nightmare, not sure about the rowdiness of the 2 nearby pubs on either side, and parking as others have pointed out is more or less nonexistent. Compares poorly with this one: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37951523.html. Which has similar floor space but better location in many respects and more scope for parking, plus starting asking price 20k less...

This one caught my eye and has been on a while... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34829470.html . Again better value by far

HOLA448

Couldn't work the link on your first one. I agree that area is nice but prices usually are anywhere between 230-270 and the higher end is for properties with a fourth bedroom and views of the cathedral. I can't understand why they've dumped an extra 50k on the price of this one. Even the terraces in Albany/Belle Vue which did go for these type of prices have slid well below the 300k mark.

Perhaps it's got a magic garden?

Not sure what to do about the property I linked to. We have been renting for years and I have tired of it. We've been kicked out of one house already when the landlord decided to cash in his army pension (sods claim money from the army to rent a place while the buy one and rent it out) and it's not good for the kids. I can see it happening again here.

HOLA449

Benzlife - I have heard talk of a 20% correction for ten years but I'm still waiting and my kids are growing up and I am in a large detached house on a new estate that I can't even put a shelf up in ( not so much because the landlords would say no but because nothing stays up on these crappy walls!!) and I can be thrown out at the drop of a hat.

I don't want to waste my hard earned savings on a house but I've tired of this renting business and being treated like crap by landlords.

HOLA4410

Benzlife - I have heard talk of a 20% correction for ten years but I'm still waiting and my kids are growing up and I am in a large detached house on a new estate that I can't even put a shelf up in ( not so much because the landlords would say no but because nothing stays up on these crappy walls!!) and I can be thrown out at the drop of a hat.

I don't want to waste my hard earned savings on a house but I've tired of this renting business and being treated like crap by landlords.

I've had completely the opposite experience of renting. Been in this one for three years. It's owned by a trust and managed properly by WSB. I expect we could stay here as long as we like and the only way we woud be kicked if it was to be sold; in which case we'd jump a the chance to buy it ourselves.

I guess it's the luck of the draw but you could always factor in the landlord's position when you next move to try and get a bit more security?

HOLA4411

Thanks for the tip. But in my experience, private landlords are not likely to tell you their future plans if they want tenants in and, legally, you have very little security whoever your landlord is. We were in the first property for 7 years and had to move very quickly with two months notice. We have been in this for three years. But are kids have been forced to live in two different houses. So quite long-term lets but I don't like living in a property only at someone else's whim. Properties rented by trusts for the very long-term are, I would imagine, pretty rare.

I have to say, ten years on, with our kids now at 9 and 6, we have rented waiting for a 'correction' to no avail. If we'd bought ten years ago, we'd have ten years left on a mortgage now. Instead, we are getting older, and we are face getting a mortgage.

It's not the same for everyone. If you're on your own, or in a couple, so what if you have to move? But, if you have kids, things change.

HOLA4412
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Can anybody hazard a guess as to why Connells would market the same property at 30k more (over 10%) than McKillops?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38114396.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35277340.html?premiumA=true

Connells just dropped by the 30k.. Obviously just slower on RM... But a nice encouraging drop all the same.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I have seen that (price drop) house. Massive garden but on a very steep hill and a tiny third bedroom. Still, a year or so ago, it still would have sold. They must be desperate if they are instructing Connells who are completely dreadful.

The Feversham rd house is a joke.

The market is all over the place. Price drops and reductions, property not selling, yet still some property appears and is massively overpriced.

HOLA4418

I have seen that (price drop) house. Massive garden but on a very steep hill and a tiny third bedroom. Still, a year or so ago, it still would have sold. They must be desperate if they are instructing Connells who are completely dreadful.

The Feversham rd house is a joke.

The market is all over the place. Price drops and reductions, property not selling, yet still some property appears and is massively overpriced.

Opinions on this, anyone?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23481420.html

Seems like a lovely spot, my favourite at this budget at the current time in Salisbury area, although parking is probably a nightmare. Could be a liability in upkeep and flooding risk. Would be tempted though once the "offers over" words are deleted from the ad.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Lovely house - personally, I'd need a garage for storing the kids junk! I'd be worried about the flood risk too. It is beautifully presented.

When did it last flood there? I have a friend who used to live in Riverside (off north street) until a few years back, and once the water came up to just below the back door, but never came in. They moved to higher ground as soon as they could afford to. Those waterside houses in Wilton used to be priced very cheaply just for that reason back in the day (early mid nineties!)

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4422

Well, I've had an offer accepted on my first house after nearly six years of sitting on the fence. Will post more details after everything has gone through (assuming it does!). I will say that I bought for about 6% under asking price for a property that to me represented real value compared to some of the stock being advertised at sky high prices. Still, I have a slight sense of unease that I've missed something that others who viewed the property spotted :-o

HOLA4423

Well, I've had an offer accepted on my first house after nearly six years of sitting on the fence. Will post more details after everything has gone through (assuming it does!). I will say that I bought for about 6% under asking price for a property that to me represented real value compared to some of the stock being advertised at sky high prices. Still, I have a slight sense of unease that I've missed something that others who viewed the property spotted :-o

Congratulations, hope it goes well for you!!

• 3 months later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425