House Price Crash Forum

Thought this would be an interesting poll given all the different opinions about BTLing and property development, right, wrong or indifferent.

If you felt you could afford to buy a property to either fix up and flog or fix up and rent, would you do it after a crash?

If you are a developer already, it would be good to see what you will be doing if there is a big crash and you may lose money this time round.

Are you a property guru? :ph34r:

The thing that makes me think about it is, having just been made redundant, is it possible to build up an adequate pension pot in the traditional way?

I think it would be foolish for anyone not to consider alternatives to the traditional pension, albeit property or going your own way with shares.

We have a moral duty to ensure the we offer FTB'ers the first opportunity to make money in the property market. Its only right that we stand aside and coach them on as they are the chosen ones.

Dream on, its every man for himself the world owes nobody a living.

:)

The world could be a very different place once this one blows.

Getting into property could be a recipe years of disappointment. Anybpdy rushing back into the Japanese market - after they tried something very simila with their finances would have got caned, whether they bought 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or 10 years after the peak.

I'd seriously consider it if the price was right, but I would NOT be one of the arsehole landlord types that I've had to put up with, i.e. the kind who never do any maintenance at all, treat you like a mobile cash machine and not a person, hide behind the letting agency, and who show no consideration to that fact that although it is their house, it is *your* home. I'd like to think I'm better than that and would want to be more professional that the get-rich-quick types I've seen so much of these last few years.

And as OnlyMe says, it could well be a bit iffy for a while. If I were to do it, I'd wait to see at least a bit of stability first.

Edited by JBFTB

Personally I don't have a problem with BTL. I think right now is definatly not the time to get into it but maybe in few years it might be.

The problem with this site is that there seems to be some issues that people treat as blank and white when they are clearly not. There isn't anything wrong with investing in property.

I think the coming crash however will have a big impact on peoples perceptions of property as an investment.

I'll buy a BTL when the yield on that particular investment looks attractive in comparison to other investment products.

I may even buy a few...but when the tv programmes come on with some chav bint made good bragging about how shes a property millionaire etc etc i'll flog to the mugs who see it as a get rich quick plan and chuck it in my retirement fund. Theres nothing wrong with making money out of other peoples greed and stupidity.

We have a moral duty to ensure the we offer FTB'ers the first opportunity to make money in the property market. Its only right that we stand aside and coach them on as they are the chosen ones.

Dream on, its every man for himself the world owes nobody a living.

:)

I wonder if you'll be happy with your it's every man for himself philosophy when there is a mob of blokes with pick handles working their way up your road looting all the houses.

People have very short memories. In this country in the early 1980s there was an outbreak of rioting. Serious stuff in lots of different areas. Overnight shops suddenly had grilles over the front. I was working in London at the time - on a building project in the West End. We used to listen to the radio in the afternoon to hear where the riots were on so we could plan our route home. Weird - but most people have forgotten. London, Bristol, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle - every major city had riots. No-one knew how they started, no-one knew if they were organized. But every night the television would be full of images of shops being looted, people pulled out of cars while the cars were set on fire etc. (Now we have the Freedom of Information Act it would be interesting to find out what happened to stop it - were there ringleaders - did they disappear in the night - what was the role of MI5 etc.)

In the last recession/HPC there were a few outbreaks of rioting. I remember there was an almost tangible sense in the air that the whole thing (society - law and order) was disintegrating. People were losing their jobs with no chance of getting another. Houses were being re-possessed all over the place. As I say there was a very real sense that something was broken and couldn't be fixed. I could easily imagine in that situation the barricades going up around the edges of housing estates - to prevent the roaming mobs from getting in and looting.

Nightmare scenario. Overactive imagination. Maybe. Maybe not. I do know this country is headed for a catastrophe if it carries on as it is. If young people cannot afford houses because they are owned by the generation before them - so they are condemned to a life of renting or a huge mortgage millstone - sooner or later the rioting will begin.

i dont agree with it at all.

more council houses that are not for sale should be built.

public housing is a council job. not for ttrtt type spivs.

the spivs cant deliver anything but boom and bust.

get back in the stock market you pussies.

The selling off of council houses by the first Thatcher Government was simply a vote catch, and a means of unloading a substantial amount of local authority expenditure. The official line was everybody should be able to be an OO even though the property they gave away was not there’s to give, likewise TSB was forced to go public, more giving away of the peoples assets such as utilities. They knew that property, was the great unleveler. We had little lords of the manor springing up, with their Kentucky hardwood doors and old tyres in the garden as an estate. The working class Tories combined with mad Michael Foot ensured the Boomers would keep them in power for over a decade. I unfortunately, don’t foresee a return to public housing not as on the scale of the past. This government seems to want to prop up this farce in housing we have now by schemes to help key workers, for example, into an inflated and unreliable housing market, instead of sensible intervention before this got out of hand

I'd do it if the maths added up. Right now it doesn't, but in a few years (I reckon about 2012) the yields etc. will be better (as the prices decline). Lets be honest, how many of us here wish that we'd got on the "free money" train back in 1997. Back then I was at Uni, and since 1998 (when I started work) my salary increases have pretty much mirrored the HPI. I feel like poor old Tantalus. If I'd been born 5 years ealier I'd have bought as many flats as possible, and rented them out for as much as possible.

There is no justice, just us.

A few years back I was in the perfect position to BTL but, my principles stood in the way, and now I’m left wanting(or is it (wonting)

I should have listened to Nye Beven who retorted “Principles boyo I cant afford them” But anyway I’m happy in my skin Laurejon.

I had a student house bought in 1995, after much hassle trying to manage the students I had an angry father drop by complaining about the conditions of the house.

Water flooding through the living room ceiling due to Students over filling the bath, not once but all the time. Mould on the walls in all rooms as they just dump their wet washing on the rads.

Anyway having spent five minutes with him giving me grief I offererd him the opportunity to buy it. I paid 50K and it turned around 1200pcm I offered it to him for 75K.

Guess what, he said you must be bloody joking..........looking after those muppets.

Its worth today 250K.......bet he is well sick.