House Price Crash Forum

Thinking Of Changing Proffession, I Am Going To Open An Estate Agent

I was looking at rightmove today to see what house prices are like in Derby recently. I was surprised to see 234 newly listed properties in Derby. A Vast majority were from Ashley Adams.

Trust me when I tell you, that figure is huge. Derby never has more than a couple of pages max, about 30-40 properties. So why so many properties by ashley adams. I went onto there website to see what they was offering.

Our services include:

A pre-sales analysis of your home.

(someone asking you what you think your property is worth and pitching it out at that price)Advice on marketing and advertising.

(send advert into local paper and rightmove, i think I can do that)Guidance on how your home should be presented. (tell them to clean up there house)Preparation of sales particulars. (type a price on a paper and describe the property)Colour digital photography. (picture taken with camera on phone)Advertising in the local press, and dedicated website. (rightmove and local paper, not really hard)Extensive database of potential purchasers in a position to 'buy now'. (OK, not got yet, cannot be hard to to build one up on access)

Property details sent via text message, email and post ( I can text email and post)

Regular updates on the progress. (tell the customers on a regular basis no one is intertested in buying)Negotiating offers to achieve the maximum sale price possible. (accept the one and only offer on the table)Co-ordinating the sale through to completion via our Sales Progression Team. (phone the solicitors and ask them how it is going)

Contact us for a free market appraisal / valuation. (look at rightmove and see what other agents are pitching out there properties for market appraisel, as for the valuation, customer will tell you what he wants)

Can someone tell me where the skill set in any of the above. What does estate agents offer that anyone cannot do themselves.

Guest barebear

'' What does estae agents offer that you cant do yourselves ''

Nuffin bruv

They just have the money to advertise in the papers and a high st shop for people to gawk at the houses , other than that anyone can do it.

Put a suit and tie on speak as poshly as you can and learn some EA speak, like ' ball park ' '' bijou'' business is brisk ' and '' dont miss the boat '' and your there.

Edited by barebear

I am in stitches here. Another poster who is contemplating becoming a letting agent/estate agent.

Thought about it myself, seeing as I can walk around my local area and tell people how much every house is going for, what they last sold at and what they should be. :lol:

Ok, maybe I have become a little obsessed with this whole property thing, but why not put it to use?

I'm also a free lance photographer and web developer. The only thing I'd rather not do, is have a shop - but is this really necessary any more?

Last I heard, you don't need any qualifications but you need to join an Ombudsman to show you follow the rules of good practice. I presume, this is what the law requires but please correct me if I am wrong!

Guest barebear
I am in stitches here. Another poster who is contemplating becoming a letting agent/estate agent.

Thought about it myself, seeing as I can walk around my local area and tell people how much every house is going for, what they last sold at and what they should be. :lol:

Ok, maybe I have become a little obsessed with this whole property thing, but why not put it to use?

I'm also a free lance photographer and web developer. The only thing I'd rather not do, is have a shop - but is this really necessary any more?

Last I heard, you don't need any qualifications but you need to join an Ombudsman to show you follow the rules of good practice. I presume, this is what the law requires but please correct me if I am wrong!

How do you 'join' an ombudsman ?

And dont say with ombudsman glue .

'' What does estae agents offer that you cant do yourselves ''

Nuffin bruv

They just have the money to advertise in the papers and a high st shop for people to gawk at the houses , other than that anyone can do it.

Put a suit and tie on speak as poshly as you can and learn some EA speak, like ' ball park ' '' bijou'' business is brisk ' and '' dont miss the boat '' and your there.

Sounds like "Life of Brian"- "Here -what did the EA's ever do for us?"
Can someone tell me where the skill set in any of the above. What does estate agents offer that anyone cannot do themselves.

Nothing. But established estate agents do have a brand which has resulted from many years of operating in the market. If you don't have a reputation than you need to spend disproportionately large amounts to advertise yourself reducing margin. I must admit I thought the internet would kill off a few estate agents but its a people business.

The way I would do it would be to offer a cut price aggregator website and try and launch an EA business off the back of it. Markets would cost a lot to break into though - high barriers to entry. Theres also a lot of shi* shovelling/admin to do it - probably more than you'd think (I don't know this is the case but in my experience there's always more to stuff than meets the eye).

Theres a lot of regional knowledge on this site - I wonder how we could harness it to inject some realistic regional pricing analysis into the wider world??

You have to be a member of an OFT approved redress scheme

http://www.oea.co.uk/new_js.htm

http://oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/EARS/

Direct Members

If you are not a member of the NAEA/NALS/ARLA, RICS or the Guild then you will be joining as a Direct Member. Please return the following:

* A completed application form indicating the type of membership you are applying for

* A cheque for the fees (fees are per office) - see table below

* A copy of your Professional Indemnity (PI) Insurance, see details below

* Either two professional references (from any of the following: accountant, solicitor, bank manager) or two proofs of identity ie copy of your passport or driving licence and a copy of a company utility bill less than three months old

about £220 for lettings and sales, nothing beyond paperwork is invovled.