House Price Crash Forum

Renting A Haunted House

youngfarmer

HOLA441
Just a clutching at straws thought here.

Apparently LL accessed the property in order to market it for sale, had viewings etc during the remainder of the lease, and has not attempted to mitigate by finding a new tenant.

Might there be a prima facea case that LL has accepted termination of the tenancy?

are you asking me here wayne...if the landlord sought to get another tenant after we moved out...and what exactly does LL mean...

i think after we moved out....the landlord put the house up for sale...but was unable to sell the house

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
whats an ASBO award holder? Bob

oh gosh...ur man looks so alike the landlord....i seen the landlord this morning...i laughed so loudly at him....oh hes not a happy camper hahahaha

As tempting as it is dont wind him up, he can use that against you.

get a third party to ask the new tennant if there is anything amiss in the house, try not to do your own detective work another dog walker is ideal. Just dont get in any deeper by being accused of anything illeagal or harasment.

Really, concentrate on your Dad, he probably needs you.

My own story is that a house I purchased with a now ex, we had independantly seen a figure in the front room, the ex unbeknown to me thought it was some one at the window and had gone out to investigate. I had an elderly cat who was a chatterer and used to walk in to find her chattering away to nothing and no one.

The evening we both raised our concerns I went upstairs and found photographs of children scattered on the bed, the photos were nothing to do with either of us.

We later found out that a teenage occupant of the house had murdered his former best friend in a street brawl, when they were growing up the deceased was a regular visitor to the house.

We split and sold the house at a loss, couldnt wait to shift it.Some times you are just better off out and take it on the chin.

There was a couple of malicous unexplained things that happened but I always conceded that the non paying guest was an animal lover.

I was away for a night and my neighbour came to feed the cats and fish, the next day she knocked on the door and refused to come in saying some one was upstairs when she had come round . She had fed the animals and fled, like us she was new to the area and did not know the history of the house.

HOLA443

thanks alot hev ur advice is greatly welcome...

ur right about me winding the landlord up...i will have to stop it, but the dirty rascal is never done driving by our house and generally snooping about...i think i will report him to the coppers and say i feel extremly threatened by him...

your story sounds quite scary as well...yes yes i know what ur saying about using a third party...i will have to get on the ball with it...

as far as i know, the guy living in the house now, moved there with his partner and a small child...but the partner and small child have left, and he is now there on his own...

appartenly the spirit world draw their strength from young children becuase they have so much more engery...and the spirit activity is much greater if youngsters are in the dwelling...

we also had 4 cats when we lived in the haunted house...and they acted very strangely indeed....in fact 2 of them disapperared while we were living there....i managed to find one of them in a field one day...about 10 miles from the haunted house...major major concidence that i found it...

i have a degree in politics...and am quite familiar with quite a few local politicans....i seen one of them in a local bar about a year ago...and got talking to him...i told him that i rented a house on (joe bloggs) road that was haunted...he replied to me....its common knowledge that theres alot of haunted houses on the road lol...

i dont know if he was winding me up or not...i think i might have to contact him again...and tell him the whole story and epsiode...and if he would see about making contact with the current tenant...

thnaks again hev...its good to know we are not the only people this kind of thing has happened too...altho your story is probaly a good deal worse...as you actually purchased the property....done well to get rid anyway

HOLA444
As tempting as it is dont wind him up, he can use that against you.

get a third party to ask the new tennant if there is anything amiss in the house, try not to do your own detective work another dog walker is ideal. Just dont get in any deeper by being accused of anything illeagal or harasment.

Really, concentrate on your Dad, he probably needs you.

My own story is that a house I purchased with a now ex, we had independantly seen a figure in the front room, the ex unbeknown to me thought it was some one at the window and had gone out to investigate. I had an elderly cat who was a chatterer and used to walk in to find her chattering away to nothing and no one.

The evening we both raised our concerns I went upstairs and found photographs of children scattered on the bed, the photos were nothing to do with either of us.

We later found out that a teenage occupant of the house had murdered his former best friend in a street brawl, when they were growing up the deceased was a regular visitor to the house.

We split and sold the house at a loss, couldnt wait to shift it.Some times you are just better off out and take it on the chin.

There was a couple of malicous unexplained things that happened but I always conceded that the non paying guest was an animal lover.

I was away for a night and my neighbour came to feed the cats and fish, the next day she knocked on the door and refused to come in saying some one was upstairs when she had come round . She had fed the animals and fled, like us she was new to the area and did not know the history of the house.

What a cool thread which could be open to ridicule but I know it is genuine concern if you believe in these things however I am incline to take planners view which is that it will NEVER NEVER EVER wash in court.

There is a lot of evidence that human perception of haunting is just a instinctive response to danger signals and is a modern take on simple fight or flight senses.

Have you thought of getting the house exorcised, my mother is a CofE priest and thought my house was haunted (17th C pub) even though I did notice anything, either she exorcised it and declared that she felt it was a better place.

Most priests will do an exorcism for a small fee

HOLA445
hi all...just new here this morning...hailing from Northern Ireland.

Basically my parents and i sold our house in December 2006 at quite a healthly profit, and decided to rent a house 25 miles from our home place. Didnt really know the landlord, but thought they were trustworthy enough.

Turns out the house we rented had alot of spirit (ghosts) activity and we simply could not continue living there anymore. Now im not much of a believer in paranormal activity, but the feeling i got from this particular bedroom was absoutely gut-wrenching frightening. It was just way to scary, im not going to go into all the details of the spirit activity, but we got 3 professional medimums to come out to the rented property to see what they thought about the whole going-ons.

They simply could not believe the amount of activity in one section of the house and particularly one bedroom. Basically there were 3 spirits present, manifesting themselves in a range of ways, most notably "a field of orbs". The 3 medimums tried to get the spirits to go back to the "other side" but one of the spirits (an old lady) would not go and was extremly stubborn. So one of the medimums (one with the most experience-35years) brought one of her close relatives from the "other side" foward to convince her to leave. Eventually they managed to clear the house, but warned that they will probaly come back, because there is such a strong feeling and bond with the property, and the large bedroom in particular.

So a few weeks later lo-and-behold, the spirits manifest themselves again...So we as a family decided to get the hell outa there, quite frankly.

We left the premises with still 6months to go on our tenancy agreement, and the landlords are now taking us to the smalls claims court for the 6months rent of £3000 plus costs.

It really has got ever so nasty. We paid the £3000 into a cliant account, but they have not accepted this, and still want to pursue us for costs. My parents are both very very unwell, and have managed to get the case adjourned on 4 seperate occassions, and the case is re-listed again for the 20th May 2009. My dad has attempted to take his own life over the head of the whole epsiode, and i just dont know what can be done. Hopfully we can get it adjourned again for a year or so.

These people (the landlord and his wife) know full well that this property is haunted. I called up to the house a few weeks ago and there is now a new tenant in it. I just couldnt pluck up the courage to ask him was he experiencing paranormal activity as well.

Just dont know what to do, just such a complicated case, and my brothers wife is the Guarontor, and she has turned really nasty, boardering on evil, because we refuse to pay the landlords costs.

Sorry, if this post seems a bit muddled, but any questions any admins may have, i can answer them, regarding the legal aspects and implications, and any advice or offers of guidance will be most greatly welcome, and if anyone has a similar story, what can be done.

Kind Regards,

YoungFarmer

Go to court, pay up, sell your story to the press. Quids in!

HOLA446

ive sent the story to a couple of newspaper journalists via email....but there was no reply...iv also been talking to a couple of guys who made a bbc1 primetime series...about the most haunted places in Northern Ireland...it was on there a few months back...still in contact with the producer of the show via emails....

i so wish i would have got the catholic church involved....but they are very Sceptical about these kinds of things...as far as im aware...i suppose its still anoption...

no...it is cast iron....paranormal activity does not stand up in court...our solictor has advised us not even to mention it in court (if they ever get us into count)...

we left the premises in june2007....its now coming on in 2 years...and they still aint got us into court....im hoping they will get sick of chasing us...and just take the £3000 we have offered them...that is all they are owed...

they are just trying to stick the hand in...

HOLA447
ive sent the story to a couple of newspaper journalists via email....but there was no reply...iv also been talking to a couple of guys who made a bbc1 primetime series...about the most haunted places in Northern Ireland...it was on there a few months back...still in contact with the producer of the show via emails....

i so wish i would have got the catholic church involved....but they are very Sceptical about these kinds of things...as far as im aware...i suppose its still anoption...

no...it is cast iron....paranormal activity does not stand up in court...our solictor has advised us not even to mention it in court (if they ever get us into count)...

we left the premises in june2007....its now coming on in 2 years...and they still aint got us into court....im hoping they will get sick of chasing us...and just take the £3000 we have offered them...that is all they are owed...

they are just trying to stick the hand in...

If you want to get a journalist to bite, you will have to stand up in court and say you believe the house is haunted. They need something for their headline - just your moaning about it is not enough. The court case makes it news, not just waffling on. I do not recommend approach by e-mail -send letter and photo of house to local paper for a start. If you do contact them, for God's sake read it through and sort out your spelling and grammar - you don't want to sound pissed or illiterate. This isn't snobbery, it's good basic advice.

HOLA448

cheers m8...i think i have a good enough idea of how to write a letter...just getting the wording right i guess...and trying to make it as convincing as possible...again it would be better if two families are singing from the same hymn sheet....thats why its crucial for me to get the new tenant on board...

are you suggesting my spelling and grammer are bad? or just telling me to be careful if i decide to write a letter to the local paper...i thought my spelling and grammer was honky dory enough on here...i dont worry about grammer on the internet too much...as long as i spell most of the words correctly....and peeps get the general idea of what im trying to say...and they realise...that these three dots...are kinda like a new sentence...only i cant be bothered pressing the caps lock button peroidically

i think writting a letter is a really good idea...thanks again man

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
these three dots...are kinda like a new sentence...only i cant be bothered pressing the caps lock button peroidically

If you think that you need to press Caps Lock to get capital letters then I fear for your safety on the internet.

I have visions of you hitting Caps Lock, then pressing the letter you want and then tapping Caps Lock again to turn it off.

We left the premises with still 6months to go on our tenancy agreement, and the landlords are now taking us to the smalls claims court for the 6months rent of £3000 plus costs.

I know you don't understand why they are after more than the £3000, because you think that is all you owe them. But have you overlooked the Government's Gullibility Tax?

Its the 90% extra tax you have to pay when you believe in mediums and ghosts and that sort of rubbish.

Why do you think it costs £1.50 a minute to ring Horoscope hotlines or Professional Con-Artists, sorry, "Professional Mediums"? It's mainly the Gullibility Tax.

Then they take all the tax money and give it to old fairground janitors so that they can buy better costumes and keep the cycle going. ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
... if i decide to write a letter to the local paper ...

Not everyone takes paranormal activity seriously, even here on HPC, but I have absultely no reason to disbelieve you.

Maybe the chink in the landlord's armour is publicity. Very few people want to buy or rent a haunted house - if you were to defend vigorously in court, and make ABSOLUTELY sure in advance that ALL the local and regional press are there to report the event, then your landlord is going to have major problems selling or letting once the media get their teeth into it. The press love a good ghost story, especially with an underdog element to it. Local TV/radio def. possible.

The landlord needs to really believe that you actually will do this, so you need to send him a list of media alerted, together with contact details etc. Whether you're bluffing or not, the believability is in the detail as always, so make it look really good, and bomb-proof checked for mis-spellings/grammar etc..

Also, potential housebuyers sometimes call in to meet their next door neighbour before signing contracts (we always do), so make sure that the neighbours either side of the house are fully aware of your story - they could be more than happy to pass it onto a prospective buyer / tenant.

If you can change his reality into believing that taking you to court will cause him a major major problem, then maybe you can negotiate something more favourable and wrap the whole thing up.

good luck !

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
...am i the only one who has no clue what language you are communicating in...

It's called English, it's quite popular these days, so I hear. Though not so much on teh internetz. :)

The press love a good ghost story

Yeah they love a good ghost story, as it gives everyone the chance to laugh at a superstitious person, who'd walk out on a contract that they owe £3000 on and then cry about it when the landlord requests the money he's owed.

Edited by Bear Necessities

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
What a cool thread which could be open to ridicule but I know it is genuine concern if you believe in these things however I am incline to take planners view which is that it will NEVER NEVER EVER wash in court.

There is a lot of evidence that human perception of haunting is just a instinctive response to danger signals and is a modern take on simple fight or flight senses.

Have you thought of getting the house exorcised, my mother is a CofE priest and thought my house was haunted (17th C pub) even though I did notice anything, either she exorcised it and declared that she felt it was a better place.

Most priests will do an exorcism for a small fee

A decent spiritualist leader will do it for free.

And properly.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm sorry, I'm just not a great fan of the whole ghost thing.

No hard feelings.

I would honestly recommend that you don't mention the ghost thing in court though.

Imagine another case just like yours in which the defence was "spacemen kept flying into the house and making it a bad place to live" and think how mad that would sound to a judge.

I'm not saying you are mad, but thats what the court might think.

Stick to the facts, such as you offering to pay the £3000 and hopefully that will be enough

good luck

(also I have a medi-mum. She's about 5 foot 7!)

;)

Edited by Bear Necessities

HOLA4424

lol...ur good craic....no i understand fully wat ur saying man...i was defintely a non-believer before i lived in this property...so no hard feelings at all...

its just kinda frustrating knowing that the landlord has us by the balls and theres not a big lot we can do...excpet expose his property as being haunted and you are liabile to be labelled as a nuttjob...but sure i am already half a nuttjob anyway...so may as well go for the full hogg... :lol:

we will see how it pans out anyhow...the judge and council defintely know something is up with 4 adjourments and a couple of boxes of medical evvidence...

it dont look too good on the landlord and co...when they were offered the rent a year ago...just before proceddings started...i dont know...hard to gauge...but we've come this far...and just feel so strong about the whole affair...u guys really dont know how bad it is...

i try to understand the landlord...and if i owned a property that i knew was haunted...wud a let a family love into it...and have to endure the unwelcome visitors...i guess if i was a money-grabbing so-and-so with no morals...i probaly would...

but i just believe its wrong...and totally out of order...but theres no way of proving his wrong doing

a bit muddled

HOLA4425
i was defintely a non-believer before i lived in this property...so no hard feelings at all...

Everyone is a non-believer until it happens to them. Yours truly included. Good to see you're taking a bit of ribbing in good spirits (no pun intended).

Don't worry about whatever angle the press takes. Yes, they do go for the sensationalist side of the story, but the whole point here is to scare the landlord into believing his property will become a local legend in one way or another. No couple with young family will knowingly take the place on - even if husband rubbishes the story, the wife might not share his point of view. This is a bluff strategy - if you're going to take your chances in court anyway, then it won't cost you any more even if the landlord doesn't become more pliant. Prepare a press release, or write the article yourself - local media are usually short-staffed and sometimes lazy - I've had 1000 word press releases reproduced verbatim, with just 2 or 3 words amended. Make it really snappy, and be really specific about actual events that happened. Object disappearances / reappearances, noises, smells, manifestations are the sort of things that gain media interest rather than just 'feelings of intense cold' etc. which won't get you very far.

And always get your press release checked before submission - twice, by different people.

;)