House Price Crash Forum

Next Door Available For 43% Less

Van

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

if the cheaper one wasn't an auction, a possible strategy would be to phone up next door's EA pretending to be your neighbour and say something like:

[cough cough] sorry i've got a terrible cold so my voice sounds a bit different... but anyway, about the flat, i've decided to increase the price by a hundred grand... i heard kirsty allsop on london talk radio talking about pent up demand & so on, it seems abundantly clear that only a fool would let it go so cheaply... grateful if you could update the details in your window and online, thanks

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I know one is at Auction. I actually stumbled across it while researching Barnard Marcus's auction lots.

The point is it doesn't help your own house value if another house up the street is at auction for much less.

I am seriously thinking of buying at Auction this year. Here's one that I am keeping an eye on, as it is in our area: http://www.eigroup.co.uk/auctioneers/templ...=1&l=535635

No idea what the interior is like though.

HOLA449
I know one is at Auction. I actually stumbled across it while researching Barnard Marcus's auction lots.

The point is it doesn't help your own house value if another house up the street is at auction for much less.

I am seriously thinking of buying at Auction this year. Here's one that I am keeping an eye on, as it is in our area: http://www.eigroup.co.uk/auctioneers/templ...=1&l=535635

No idea what the interior is like though.

That might be quite tight on the mortgage though - if thats what you are aiming at.

99 years from 85 - so 75 years remaining. Most mortgages expect 25- 50 years remaining after the mortgage period, so even if you did get it mortgaged, when it came to sell in 10 - 30 years time you might find it very difficult to shift.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest UK Debt Slave
What would you do if you were trying to sell this...

... and this was next door?

:lol::lol::lol:

A EA friend of mine related a similar story to me but this one is a classic, in a league of its own

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I just updated a posting in the anecdotal section along the same lines:

Property 1 asking 600K+

Property 2 (neighbour) then does the same thing

Property 1 reduced to 450 then 325 then auctioned. Withdrawn prior, went for around 320K (from memory)

Now this year, property 2 is back on the market for £575K

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...ncludeSSTC%3Don

The properties aren't identical but very similar, I'd guess equal values.

That's what I'd call an optimist, looking for 80% more than your neighbour sold for a few months ago.

VMR.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Just wondered if a crafty seller may bung a neighbour £100 to put his house on the market for a higher price to drum up interest.

that's a really good idea. it wouldn't cost the neighbour anything at all.

possibly a silly question but would an EA accept a listing for a price that was at a stupidly high level?

i know what you're thinking... what i mean is so high that there was no high that, even if the biggest fool ever born happened to stroll up to the EA's window that very morning, there was no prospect of a bid anywhere near asking price ever being made on that particular property?

i know what you're still thinking... i suppose i mean would an EA permit the listing of a property at ludicrous asking price that had been set by someone else rather than the EA himself?

HOLA4419

How do you think drug dealers launder their profits ? Especially in dumps like Beckton. It's the next dry cleaners, takeaway, sauna or taxi firm..... buy a flat through persons or corporate that is relatively untraceable for far too much money - gives you a good excuse for lots of readies around, because you clearly drew it out of the bank and kept it on you, aiiieee.

Then the buyer company claims it's rented for £1,500 a month by some student from abroad whose daddy is paying the rent in cash. And then actually use it to deal from or rent it to Albanian pimps for cash and still claim it's only generating £1,500 a month rent, rather than a percentage of tricks.

Easy money.

HOLA4420

What would you do if trying and failing to sell, at what you see (rightly or wrongly) as a fair price?

Maybe get your friendly neighbour (who doesn't want to sell) to advertise at a much higher price, to make yours look good value ....

[edit] Oh, someone already said that [fx: crawls back under his rock]

Edited by niq

HOLA4421

Go round there and shout at them for lowering the value of the neighbourhood

then, when that doesnt work

Tell anyone who will listen that they arent really selling for that much, it's just a marketing ploy to get people in

Try and persuade them to drop their price a little less, if they do you'll buy them a drink

Have the drink yourself and cry

then when that doesnt work

Give up and lower your price.

Have I missed any stages out ;) ?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

i've found a 44% - both are three bed, neither are auctions or whatever. the more expensive place has nice decor but we're talking about nearly a quarter of a million pounds' difference for a pretty small place - i can't imagine it costing much more than £50k to get the cheaper one looking really good.

LINK

i chanced upon this having previously nominated the more or expensive of the two on an 'overpriced sh1tholes' thread.

Edited by the flying pig

HOLA4424

I see your London & raise you a Birmingham. It may be difficult to sell this for the asking price;

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...s%26index%3D350

When an apartment in the same development and to the same spec sold (at auction) at the end of 2008 for 54.44% less;

http://www.nowinnofeesolicitorsuk.co.uk/hp...1570&lid=67