House Price Crash Forum

"ireland's Deam Is Over"

Van

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
...The U-turn was prompted by publication of catastrophic exchequer figures revealing a black hole opening up in the public finances.

Tax revenue was down by €1.8 billion (£1.6 billion) for the first two months of the year, compared with a deficit of €124 million for the same period in 2008. It means that there will have to be radical - even savage - cuts in public spending and tax rises.

At least the Irish Government are dealing with the issue, rather than increasing spending as we seem to be doing here! :blink:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

yes,i knew something was not quite right with the new Ireland.........because when i was younger all the Irishmen i met wore scruffy clothes , drank 15 pints of beer a night and dug holes in London's roads and all of a sudden all the ones i met were slick-suited dudes who looked like David O'Leary or the other O'Leary from Ryanair...............

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Its a good thing so many irish people tend to be pragmatic but things are terrible there. A decent nation sucked in by short term greed and now generations will pay for their debt - outrageous

Ireland are just a bit ahead of us here. The place they find themselves now is the place we will be towards the end of the year.

HOLA4417

All this aside from what I understand from watching Bloomberg yesterday, Ireland are in a far better position to weather the storm than the UK.

The argument was Ireland have a far better living standard than we do in the UK and could even take another 20% drop before they are at the level we’re at.

The other argument was the overall debt the country is in – Nothing like and no where never the whole we’ve dug ourselves in to.

H

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
At least the Irish Government are dealing with the issue, rather than increasing spending as we seem to be doing here! :blink:

I hate to point this out but tax rises and public spending cuts as a total pancea to the problem is going to make the situation a lot worse.

It could still be worse than that if the IMF get involved with domestic policy. Its all over then. Mass migration to the UK mainland would then be inevitable even if the situation here was not what one would call very attractive.

Edited by Abstra

HOLA4420

I met a lovely Irish girl whist travelling in New Zealand. She was in London the other day so I met up with her for a drink.

I asked her about how Ireland is doing with the economy and everything. She said things are bad. She is unemployed and on the dole. BUT she said overall she was happy because everyone in her country had become too greedy and she didn’t like what the ‘New Ireland’ was becoming. If you can think about things in these terms then it all suddenly doesn’t seem so bad.

HOLA4421
All this aside from what I understand from watching Bloomberg yesterday, Ireland are in a far better position to weather the storm than the UK.

The argument was Ireland have a far better living standard than we do in the UK and could even take another 20% drop before they are at the level we’re at.

The other argument was the overall debt the country is in – Nothing like and no where never the whole we’ve dug ourselves in to.

H

yaha things are badTM but not like people are starving or going cold, the ******* are getting 205 euro a week on dole and then there are other handouts such as rent etc, whats a 20% drop for average person here, no shopping trip to new york (yes it was that crazy that people flew across ocean to go shopping!) ? no new BMW or SUV this year? people are actually nicer to you in shops once again! prices for everything is falling...

personally this whole thing is not affecting me as i stayed far away from property, only thing hitting me are increased taxes, but im glad the government is taking steps in cutting public sector and bloated welfare, i would rather that than wake up one morning and find everything i own is worth 30% less (ahem the brittish pound ahem) or that my government is printing enough money to be wiping my ass with in few months :) (ahem quantitive easing ahem)

this recession is what the country needed and will knock sense into people who got their heads so far up their arses

in meantime im gonna sitback and wait for the day i can buy a house to LIVE in

Edited by yelims

HOLA4422
I met a lovely Irish girl whist travelling in New Zealand. She was in London the other day so I met up with her for a drink.

I asked her about how Ireland is doing with the economy and everything. She said things are bad. She is unemployed and on the dole. BUT she said overall she was happy because everyone in her country had become too greedy and she didn’t like what the ‘New Ireland’ was becoming. If you can think about things in these terms then it all suddenly doesn’t seem so bad.

what i like about the irish is that so many thought this was going to happen even when they were in the middle of it. I never felt the Irish really bought into being rich based on debt. If they can get out of the shackles of the franco-german alliance then they will eventually recover