House Price Crash Forum

Have Sellers Given Up?

Their friends are at school and even though they are day pupils they have a bed to stay over if they want. Truthfully where would a fifteen year old girl rather be, with her mates? having a pyama party and ordering in a pizza in a place ten miles from anyones parents and which they consider their space or stuck in their bedroom at home?

Also the five and half days is sport,theatre,clubs etc it just happens to happen on one campus and cuts all the Dad's taxi stuff out.

We parents call it the country club. By the way we are a close family and most nights they are home at 7 pretty similiar to any other kid I guess but this extra dimension they really enjoy.

Home at 7!!!

I don't even get home that late and i'm an adult working in the city centre.

And I didn't realise you were referring to a boarding school. As for sports, I did play a bit of rugby on Saturdays but it was an **** and i was lazy. I preferred going out for bike rides in the woods.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A momentary diversion from schools... as I posted in Oxford thread, seems stuff in nice locations can still sell quickly - I guess that means it was priced right, but have no idea what it might have gone for before!

Lucky them...

And now back to your regular programming... :)

edit for speeling.

Edited by Mondo

I don't know, I nearly burnt the house down being a latch key kid and nearly electrocuted myself at about 13. Not to mention the 2 hours per night on the phone to friends bill that no doubt came as a shock to Dad :blink: Childcare would have been much cheaper.

But burning down the house and electrocuting yourself are all part of growing up.

Home at 7!!!

And I didn't realise you were referring to a boarding school. As for sports, I did play a bit of rugby on Saturdays but it was an **** and i was lazy. I preferred going out for bike rides in the woods.

7 is sort of the norm if you work in London in a professional services job i.e IT/Law/Financial services etc and probably considered early.

Personally I have always hated that 6- 8 slot probably conditioning from being in IT services the majority of my working life. I run my own biz for 18 years so the early long hours have conditioned me (not saying it is right but I do enjoy work)

Even in IBM I worked on the premise that Monday to Thursday was for working and Friday pm onwards to Monday morning was family/me time this sort of balance works for me.

Home at 7!!!

Is it a city or just a town with a big church like St Albans ;)

7 is sort of the norm if you work in London in a professional services job i.e IT/Law/Financial services etc and probably considered early.

Personally I have always hated that 6- 8 slot probably conditioning from being in IT services the majority of my working life. I run my own biz for 18 years so the early long hours have conditioned me (not saying it is right but I do enjoy work)

Even in IBM I worked on the premise that Monday to Thursday was for working and Friday pm onwards to Monday morning was family/me time this sort of balance works for me.

Oh, I thought you meant your kids get home from school at 7.

A momentary diversion from schools... as I posted in Oxford thread, seems stuff in nice locations can still sell quickly - I guess that means it was priced right, but have no idea what it might have gone for before!

Lucky them...

And now back to your regular programming... :)

edit for speeling.

+1 very good about the regular programming!

That's exactly what does happen, so imagine being the 4 year old who can speak English in that classroom.

They will miss at least 1 year maybe 2 of education, now bear in mind they've only been alive for 4 years, 12 months is 25% of everything they know.

My 4 year old could read, spell and do basic maths before she stepped into the classroom. Poor little Johnny Smith with the best parents in the world will be twiddling his thumbs for 25% of his whole life waiting for the other to catch up.

That's why people are under time pressure when they have children and that's why parents should claim everything going from maternity benefit onwards because once you are a parent you're basically held to ransom.

BTW I am teaching mine chinese I think it might be benefical ;)

would that be bad chinese as in beneficial or benefical ?

no wonder teacings going down the pan ;)

Heh. Moving back to Kent/London borders soon as i'm sick of all the skanks that live in Zone 3 and I want to be able to go for a walk in the woods without having to drive there first.

Good on yer I live South Herts same reason, I grew up North London when it was really nice then. I enjoy the centre all areas City/Holborn and the West End.

But the good core seems to be ringed by Zone 3 with the skanks as you say. If they could build millenium bridges from Zone 6 at points East,West, North and South that linked straight to Zone 1 Things would be ideal ;)

Like the woods idea South Herts is like that though always fancied Kent borders.

give it time.

it would be very odd for anyone [well, a downsizer or an 'investor' anyway, obviously anyone moving up the 'ladder' gains from HPC] not to feel queasy at seeing tens or even hundreds of thousands of quid slip away from them, having been within their grasp.

like most on here i believe in HPC pretty fervently, but i don't know it with 100% certainty... the 2006-2007 mini-boom had no basis in logic or affordability, but still happened...

if yuo saw a house in your street sell for £300k in early 2008 [when many prices really hadn't fallen very far at all from the peak], would you really blithely agree to a £200k, or £250k offer? or would you wait for just a little bit longer, all it would take for you to get the £300k would be one single person who, for whatever reason, was willing and able to cough up the £300k....

we may have to wait another couple of years. i can't imagine someone in 2011 or 2012 forming a view of what their house is 'worth' with reference to 2007 or 2008 prices.

Good on yer I live South Herts same reason, I grew up North London when it was really nice then. I enjoy the centre all areas City/Holborn and the West End.

But the good core seems to be ringed by Zone 3 with the skanks as you say. If they could build millenium bridges from Zone 6 at points East,West, North and South that linked straight to Zone 1 Things would be ideal ;)

Like the woods idea South Herts is like that though always fancied Kent borders.

I have a dream of a cycle skyway for London.

Basically, you build two roads in the sky with a slight down gradient going in (kind of like slides), and the same for out of the city centre. Then just install some large lifts at either end for people to get their bikes and voila. No crowded, noisy and dirty commuter trains. No ridiculous public transport costs. Just me whizzing through the air with the wind in my hair (or more appropriately, on my scalp).

I have a dream of a cycle skyway for London.

Basically, you build two roads in the sky with a slight down gradient going in (kind of like slides), and the same for out of the city centre. Then just install some large lifts at either end for people to get their bikes and voila. No crowded, noisy and dirty commuter trains. No ridiculous public transport costs. Just me whizzing through the air with the wind in my hair (or more appropriately, on my scalp).

Scary! Firstly I have scalp and just got a bike on the ride a bike tax free scheme (Gordon must of missed this no tax no VAT?)

I went on holiday with the family to a ski resort in the summer and we went up the mountain on normal lifts then cycled all the way down great fun!

But same principle I like it, lift fairly easy straight up and down only one stop and wouldn't have to be that high would it? Have to be armoured over Skank land Zone 3 though wouldn't it :P

Scary! Firstly I have scalp and just got a bike on the ride a bike tax free scheme (Gordon must of missed this no tax no VAT?)

I went on holiday with the family to a ski resort in the summer and we went up the mountain on normal lifts then cycled all the way down great fun!

But same principle I like it, lift fairly easy straight up and down only one stop and wouldn't have to be that high would it? Have to be armoured over Skank land Zone 3 though wouldn't it :P

Just put a bulletproof glass dome over it between Bromley and London Bridge and it'll be fine :)

Unfortunately that is not true.

Go private Dukey then you don't have to play the catchment area game, around here that would pay for primary education alone.

At 20K a year for 2 kids in my area I'm not sure that many can afford private school in the current climate. I would say you are looking at earning 70K+ a year to even consider it.

As someone who has experienced the private education I'd be suprised if many on here would consider private education as it tends to produce most of the tossers that many on here despise.

I've had the debate with my wife about private school when it came down to it we could never afford it and in the end fought for our eldest to get into a decent state school in the area.

What I would say is private schools push the kids more as I get the impression that as long as you get your 5 A-C's the state schools are happy. You also have little chance of your kids mixing with the local yobs. On the other hand if you make the state school aware that you expect more than the average grade and make sure your kid works hard then theres no reason why a kid cannot do well at a reasonable state school.

As for the OP's point. I'm in a similar position with my younger 2, We will have to move at sometime soon and in seems since the new year little has come on the market and what has seems to be going under offer quickly.

I get the impression that low interest rates are meaning that many would be forced sellers have been given breathing space and fewer of these types of sellers are coming to the market.

Edited by blakey74

Why sell when many are paying peanuts mortgage and raking in the rents - not nice but looks like thems the facts!

BECAUSE the man from the bank says no ....the cash machine has no more cash and the cards are maxed out.....debt is a big mover.. :lol: