House Price Crash Forum

Have Sellers Given Up?

We are still in the "denial" phase. Nobody wants to admit to selling their house for less than what it was worth two or three years ago. People will hang on to their precious little abode until we see capitulation - i.e. a general consensus and acceptance amongst the populace that house prices have plummeted and we're all in the same boat.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this increase in rental supply will presage the next phase of the HPC I reckon. Recent buyers are happy to accept low rental income as they presumably got a decent discount and interest rates very low. These landlards will undercut the rest, many of which are struggling after buying at the top and who still have highish mortgage payments due to negative/minimal equity, they will become forced sellers before long.....

I've never really understood the school thing. A bright kid will do well wherever they are IMO.

As a very crude rule of thumb, I think that bright kids do 5% better in a private school than a state school. Average kids probably do 10% better in a private school and less than average kids do 20% better in a private school.

Primary schools my friend - primary schools. We have very cheap rent and a great landlord, but have to move :-(

I tend to agree (I'm state school gone to Oxbridge - both parents not particularly educated BUT interested and encouraging of all my efforts). I've since discovered from reading the OFSTED reports that my secondary is now (and probably was then) outstanding in all respects.

However, it's a cliche - but it's true - you tend to want to do the best for your children, if only so that you don't regret it later.

I don't want to go private - am uneasy about it ethically and believe that it's basically not value for money.

Nobody said it was the child/ren's fault but equally are you prepared to sacrifice your child at the alter of fairness ?

It's very difficult and you can do everything right, buy the house, go to church, attend the fete's and if there happened to be a baby boom in the year your child was born then you are scuppered.

I'd rather pay and know the rug can't be pulled from under me if I was concerned about catchment areas.

We probably will go for private for senior and with the credit crunch I am negotiating 3 for the price of 2 deals.

good local primaries are a bit easier to find and we found that it was the ideal mix i.e saved a few bob (can never quite understand doing it the other way round)

There are other benefits my 19 year old son has just stepped off the plane in Antigua flown there business class with his girlfriends family - had a good laugh with Mrs Bowman about that last night little fecker damm right I am jealous!

We are taking her easyjet to Italy in August! the thing I have loved about the system (maybe we are lucky) is all that middle class ******** is minimised his friends have been of all classes, wealth and nationality and have all been great company.

I like the quote:

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants" Sir Issac Newton. I like to think his POW grandad and his left school at 16 Dad, and my mum and my wife are those giants.

My only wish of my children is that they tell me every so often what they see and do whilst standing on these shoulders.

And for all of you who keep dissing the UK, I for one are grateful for the opportunities it has given me and my family over three generations.

Edited by Greg Bowman

But what about Grammars? Or faith schools?

Grammars and faith schools behave like private schools without the fees rather than the average state school.

Clearly the best value for money although competition / religious barriers to entry makes them hard to get into.

My idea of entertainment these days is to setup a Rightmove alert and have the daily giggles delivered to my Blackberry. Total denial in E14 and a lot ex LA dumps coming on the market which if you were a council tenant would probably be filing a transfer request out, but some deluded foo.. err owners seem to think are still a snip at £180k +

Nobody said it was the child/ren's fault but equally are you prepared to sacrifice your child at the alter of fairness ?

It's very difficult and you can do everything right, buy the house, go to church, attend the fete's and if there happened to be a baby boom in the year your child was born then you are scuppered.

I'd rather pay and know the rug can't be pulled from under me if I was concerned about catchment areas.

We probably will go for private for senior and with the credit crunch I am negotiating 3 for the price of 2 deals.

like i said. dedicate a non english speaking childs education firstly to speaking english, then start the maths and stuff.

no english - no learnie. they can start at special 'english language school first and move from there. if they never graduate from the english school at least employers would know that this child is too ill educated to be a viable employee. then they would go on benefits.

its no good being a whizz at maths if its totally only in punjabi.

it may as well be chinese or double dutch. or silence.

Grammars and faith schools behave like private schools without the fees rather than the average state school.

Clearly the best value for money although competition / religious barriers to entry makes them hard to get into.

I just get the impression my school got high results because of its pupils rather than any exceptional teaching quality. We were all bright, so we all got good grades. They had some great teachers, but also plenty of bad ones too, much the same mix as i'd expect in a state school.

Asking prices for houses seem ridiculously high still. Nothing's selling!

It must be hard for readers here because they have had the same message for 5 years or so yet these massive drops still haven't happened. I think you can see them actually if you are looking for new built flats. If that's your dream house then you are sorted.

An anecdotal tale I heard yesterday from a family friend, arguably typical of my parents friends - they had their place on for 450k, and their best offer was 350k. So that's what its worth blah blah. Well they just thought "why sell". They were looking to downsize and buy something smaller but if they can't get a good price then they are just going to say "fair enough we'll stick with our big garden and the space to have our kids and grand children over at Christmas". So now the house is off the market. Doesn't bother them. They bought the place in the 80's for virtually nothing and their mortgage is long paid off. They'll just sit in it until they die.

As someone who is in a "starter" family home looking to move to a "forever" family home I have long suspected that the houses that we all ideally want (detached, driveway, 4 bed, garden - nothing ground breaking) are simply in short supply - they aren't coming up for sale. The global economy is irrelevant if none of these people are selling. If the banks start giving money out again we'll just be back to square one, a handful of people who are prepared to take the risk will chase the small number of properties available.

Meantime our lives have passed by :(.

On the plus side, it's Friday and I have a £4.99 bottle of wine in the fridge waiting for me :blink:

Edited by Orbital

like i said. dedicate a non english speaking childs education firstly to speaking english, then start the maths and stuff.

no english - no learnie. they can start at special 'english language school first and move from there. if they never graduate from the english school at least employers would know that this child is too ill educated to be a viable employee. then they would go on benefits.

its no good being a whizz at maths if its totally only in punjabi.

it may as well be chinese or double dutch. or silence.

That's exactly what does happen, so imagine being the 4 year old who can speak English in that classroom.

They will miss at least 1 year maybe 2 of education, now bear in mind they've only been alive for 4 years, 12 months is 25% of everything they know.

My 4 year old could read, spell and do basic maths before she stepped into the classroom. Poor little Johnny Smith with the best parents in the world will be twiddling his thumbs for 25% of his whole life waiting for the other to catch up.

That's why people are under time pressure when they have children and that's why parents should claim everything going from maternity benefit onwards because once you are a parent you're basically held to ransom.

BTW I am teaching mine chinese I think it might be benefical ;)

Back to house prices Orbital that is exactly what I am seeing, until the old buggers need a nursing home they are staying put, we could stretch to £350k tops but that still won't buy me the extra room downstairs and a decent garden so what's the point ?

We will wait until the MIL pops her clogs and reasess the situation then.

Edited by Girly girl

Sorry would like to agree but not in my experience and can be very one up on the Jones, also tend to operate school hours. Not the five and half day typical of fee paying schools at the upper end.

Also catholic ones (I am a left footer) can be all Hail Mary extra classes but not science - true situation at a local school

Sorry would like to agree but not in my experience and can be very one up on the Jones, also tend to operate school hours. Not the five and half day typical of fee paying schools at the upper end.

Also catholic ones (I am a left footer) can be all Hail Mary extra classes but not science - true situation at a local school

Why would you want your kids at school for five and a half days? Surely 5 is enough as it is? They need to get a break to go out and have fun with their friends.

So true I have never known snobbery like our local C of E school, not exactly Christian in their thinking at all.

And so many parents pay £200 a week in after school childcare they'd be better of putting them into private school anyway.

It must be hard for readers here because they have had the same message for 5 years or so yet these massive drops still haven't happened. I think you can see them actually if you are looking for new built flats. If that's your dream house then you are sorted.

An anecdotal tale I heard yesterday from a family friend, arguably typical of my parents friends - they had their place on for 450k, and their best offer was 350k. So that's what its worth blah blah. Well they just thought "why sell". They were looking to downsize and buy something smaller but if they can't get a good price then they are just going to say "fair enough we'll stick with our big garden and the space to have our kids and grand children over at Christmas". So now the house is off the market. Doesn't bother them. They bought the place in the 80's for virtually nothing and their mortgage is long paid off. They'll just sit in it until they die.

As someone who is in a "starter" family home looking to move to a "forever" family home I have long suspected that the houses that we all ideally want (detached, driveway, 4 bed, garden - nothing ground breaking) are simply in short supply - they aren't coming up for sale. The global economy is irrelevant if none of these people are selling. If the banks start giving money out again we'll just be back to square one, a handful of people who are prepared to take the risk will chase the small number of properties available.

Meantime our lives have passed by :(.

On the plus side, it's Friday and I have a £4.99 bottle of wine in the fridge waiting for me :blink:

don't worry plenty of divorces in that age group to get things moving there are loads around my way

So true I have never known snobbery like our local C of E school, not exactly Christian in their thinking at all.

And so many parents pay £200 a week in after school childcare they'd be better of putting them into private school anyway.

Surely you don't need childcare for secondary school kids.

Edited by Financial Hack

As a very crude rule of thumb, I think that bright kids do 5% better in a private school than a state school. Average kids probably do 10% better in a private school and less than average kids do 20% better in a private school.

SATs. A bright kid will endure endless 'literary hours' in Years Five and Six just to bring the less able kids up to average grades at age eleven, thus improving league tables.

A child who is already at that level in Year Four will learn the square root of f*** all in their last two years of primary school.

Why would you want your kids at school for five and a half days? Surely 5 is enough as it is? They need to get a break to go out and have fun with their friends.

Their friends are at school and even though they are day pupils they have a bed to stay over if they want. Truthfully where would a fifteen year old girl rather be, with her mates? having a pyama party and ordering in a pizza in a place ten miles from anyones parents and which they consider their space or stuck in their bedroom at home?

Also the five and half days is sport,theatre,clubs etc it just happens to happen on one campus and cuts all the Dad's taxi stuff out.

We parents call it the country club. By the way we are a close family and most nights they are home at 7 pretty similiar to any other kid I guess but this extra dimension they really enjoy.

They are coming up for rent though, interestingly, and for far far cheaper than sale prices would lead you to believe.

I guess I'll just have to rent a 4-bed victorian house rather than buy a 2 bed conversion! Woe is me!

Surely you don't need childcare for secondary school kids.

I don't know, I nearly burnt the house down being a latch key kid and nearly electrocuted myself at about 13. Not to mention the 2 hours per night on the phone to friends bill that no doubt came as a shock to Dad :blink: Childcare would have been much cheaper.

Posting day! My experience is the difference is greater but inverse really bright kids don't always thrive at private school emphasis on sport/arts and being an all rounder can be detrimental. Middle band kids especially boys excel I reckon my boy was up at least 35% not always bgecause of the teaching but lack of negative peer group influence.

Less average can move 20% but can also dissappear without trace or get expelled or not admitted to 6th form. So much more tricky.