House Price Crash Forum

Ch 4 News - We Are Going To The Imf...

ccc

HOLA441

Anyone watching Mandelson on Channel 4 news will know what I am talking about.

"We won't be at the top of the queue"

Snow pushes him - "You didn't say we won't be in the queue"

"I don't think we will be in the queue"

Honestly he didn't want to say that last bit. He was more or less forced to. Very sheepish and quiet whan he said it.

All this after Mandelson spent a good minute talking about how the stigma of going to the IMF was being reduced and it wouldn't be embarressing to go to them now. He even used examples of other countries, Mexico, that were considering using the special drawdown facility. We are being primed. Pure and simple. Just as we were for low interest rates and QE.

So what does it mean for us ? Good or bad ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443

Honestly he didn't want to say that last bit. He was more or less forced to. Very sheepish and quiet whan he said it.

All this after Mandelson spent a good minute talking about how the stigma of going to the IMF was being reduced and it wouldn't be embarressing to go to them now. He even used examples of other countries, Mexico, that were considering using the special drawdown facility. We are being primed. Pure and simple. Just as we were for low interest rates and QE.

The overdraft facility would mean that we would go to them and no one would know or need to know .. the first you'll hear of it is after the elections that we had availed of funds from the IMF ..

HOLA444
it will be GOOD for us in the long term. the IMF will force Brown to cut huge amounts of public spending, something he has refused to do for years

Did you not notice .. the emphasis this time was to agree that 'unreasonable' conditions would not be imposed on 'poor nations' .. it wont take long to classify the UK as poor ..

HOLA445

If you are a public sector worker, probably bad. If you have a variable rate mortgage, potentially bad in the medium term.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
The overdraft facility would mean that we would go to them and no one would know or need to know .. the first you'll hear of it is after the elections that we had availed of funds from the IMF ..

Really ? It would be done in secret just like the new rules we adopted here. You got a link to this please ?

If so then how does this fit in with a new 'fair' and 'open' 'family like' World financial system. :o

Honestly we are all just being played for fools.

HOLA449
I just saw this. What a coup for Jon Snow!

Well worth watching on Ch4+1 at about 8:15-ish. The chat with the ex-IMF guy was a real eye-opener, and I think Mandy saw a chance to soften up our eventual IMF walk of shame, by claiming these new rules would "destigmatise it". (Read: Gordon will try and hang on even after he has to go to the IMF.)

They really are throwing the kitchen sink at this one.

Thanks.. I will get the popcorn ready in advance (whatever happened with that eating popcorn emoticon?!?)

HOLA4410

Yes, interesting. We just got told point blank, as a nation, that we are in dire financial shape and need some of this new IMF money...

And...

Mandy says that there is no shame in going to the IMF.

Hmmm.

And...

Gordon wants the G20 to have more financial regulation....more? Gordon wants regulation? More regulation? What?

WTF!

I yelled at my tele. Fvck me.

How does that fvcking lying ba$tard Brown get any sleep. He is a psychopath.

HOLA4411

Well worth watching on Ch4+1 at about 8:15-ish. The chat with the ex-IMF guy was a real eye-opener, and I think Mandy saw a chance to soften up our eventual IMF walk of shame, by claiming these new rules would "destigmatise it". (Read: Gordon will try and hang on even after he has to go to the IMF.)

They really are throwing the kitchen sink at this one.

That was very good. He tried very hard not to mention the UK until Snow pushed him. Then a serious smirk came over his face as he admitted the truth. He looked like he knew a lot more than he was saying. I reckon we have already had discussions - and one of this guys buddies still in the IMF has told him.

HOLA4412
Guest Daddy Bear
Thanks.. I will get the popcorn ready in advance (whatever happened with that eating popcorn emoticon?!?)

Do you all remember the last time we went to the IMF ?? ...Now tell me what was INFLATION running at a few years later.....errrrr....25% therabouts .......

That was a fart in the wind compared to this shit storm ..........

Massive Inflation coming in the not to distant future.....

Get yourself sorted

HOLA4413
Really ? It would be done in secret just like the new rules we adopted here. You got a link to this please ?

If so then how does this fit in with a new 'fair' and 'open' 'family like' World financial system. :o

Honestly we are all just being played for fools.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7979484.stm

This would give countries essentially free money, which they could use as they wish without having to negotiate deals with the IMF, and would do much to boost confidence among poorer countries. Many of them have been critical of the harsh conditions imposed by the IMF before they are given help.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Do you all remember the last time we went to the IMF ?? ...Now tell me what was INFLATION running at a few years later.....errrrr....25% therabouts .......

Get yourself sorted

I dont see borrowing a tenner from the IMF in your sig.

HOLA4417
"IMF much greater resources to help Eastern Europe...

...but also some Eurozone members....Greece, Irelnd, Spain....

....and the UK."

Mandelson "What we have done today is to de-stigmatise going to the IMF"

Make of that what you will.

Correlation...Labour Government/IMF bailout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is an extra trillion even close enough to bail out the UK....and anyway, why do we need a bailout when all our debt issuance is a sure fire winner. :blink:

all we need is banks to lend to hard working families and nail bars, and it's go straight ahead at the junction without stopping at IMF. MFI maybe but not IMF.

HOLA4418
it will be GOOD for us in the long term. the IMF will force Brown to cut huge amounts of public spending, something he has refused to do for years

agreed

Yes, interesting. We just got told point blank, as a nation, that we are in dire financial shape and need some of this new IMF money...

And...

Mandy says that there is no shame in going to the IMF.

Exactly what I picked up, they are now making out "It's no big deal, the IMF is just a source of funding, hey it's cool, it's not like bankruptcy is a thing to be ashamed of no more...innit."

The IMF - "Ocean Finance for governments"

LOL

HOLA4419

Get yourself sorted

I think it peaked at approx 25% a couple of years before we went to the IMF

then it dropped a bit before rising again right at the start of the 80s, IIRC

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This would give countries essentially free money, which they could use as they wish without having to negotiate deals with the IMF, and would do much to boost confidence among poorer countries. Many of them have been critical of the harsh conditions imposed by the IMF before they are given help.

Excellent.

An end to stupid conditions like good governance.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

what is free money - I mean, where does it come from?