House Price Crash Forum

Detached House Prices Up 4.9%

HAMISH_MCTAVISH

HOLA441
The cost of an average detached house rose by 4.9 per cent between December 2008 and January 2009, pushing up average prices by 0.2 per cent for the month, the figures from the Department for Communities and Local Government show. The national average house price fell by 11.5 per cent in the year to January 2009.

Estate agents said the increase in detached property prices was a result of short supply, and demand from buyers with access to ready cash or plenty of equity from the sale of a former home. The data are unlikely to help buyers at the bottom end of the market, who must battle tough mortgage restrictions and high interest rates to secure their first or second purchase.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/pro...icle5927591.ece

Interesting stuff. There is clearly a supply imbalance between housing types, even if you don't buy the total shortgage theory.

It's entirely possible that STR folks, who are mostly at the top end of the market which typically doesn't need big mortgages, could get their fingers burned big time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a two tier housing market develop for the next few years as the finance issues (also discussed in the full article) impact and stagnate the bottom end of the market but have less impact on the top end. We could begin to see a cycle develop between downsizers and mid market upsizers, playing on existing equity and without the need for big mortgage multiples. Of course the bottom of the market could get shafted and be unable to move up, but law of unintended consequences and all that..... ;)

Although in all fairness, it's still far too early to call any direction yet, as it's entirely possible this is just a temporary blip.

But I'm fairly sure any tinkering will have some unintended consequences of some kind, and it'll be interesting to see what they are.

HOLA442

Hamish. IIRC that report shows every single other 'class' of house falling during the same period. I read a bit of it yesterday. So why pick out the single 'class' that appears to be rising ? :rolleyes:

Interesting though what you say about the STR's. I think they may do pretty decently out of all this. Plenty of old people out there with big houses they don't need. Many will want to sell to release cash. Many will die and the house will be left to relatives.

I don't think we can be far from people simply saying "Just sell it for whatever you can".

For those with a detached house, lots of equity, and who want a larger detached house ? A fall in prices is good for them, I know someone in that exact situation who would love prices to fall by 50%. So there house would be worth less, but they could finally get the larger house they have wanted for years.

Time will tell. I dare say it - but lower house prices may even be beneficial for yourself Hamish.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I just remembered - I am sure Hamish told us he stayed in a detached house ? So there we have it again !! The amazing Hamish is a winner whilst everyone else is a loser !!!

What a guy.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Yeah, cause anecdotal stories beats actual sold price statistics every time... :rolleyes:
anecdotal stories. is that what actually walking down union street looking at the ea's prices and seeing a white sticker with a reduced fixed price over a previous fixed price is yeh?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Any news on price rises is not good, this sort of news can create confidence again. :angry:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages/hou...57&ito=1723

I think that article is going to do anything but create confidence !!

Hoenstly that thread on the main forum last week was great. Someone had taken headlines through the last crash from all the major papers. Very interesting to see what happens through the cycle of a crash. Constant claims of recovery, followed by a year of 'doom and gloom'. And lots more !!

Very interesting thread. Shows us what we can expect to hear for the next few years.

Personally 'confidence' returning to the market is something I don't expect to see for a long time.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414