House Price Crash Forum

Newsnight Pundits Claim Recession Is Nearing End!

Newsnight tonight: Please watch tonight's recorded iPlayer version if you didn't get to see it. Newsnight seriously questioned several madmen in its report then a few more in the studio who actually claimed that, barely a couple of months after the meltdown starts, it's already recovering. Never mind what planet do these people live on, what on earth is the BBC doing inviting these halfwits on? Well, I know the answer but even by BBC standards this is extraordinary.

Of course, as usual, the BBC constantly invites on to its business discussions ONLY the very people who collectively either caused the meltdown in the first place, or, unlike several hundred people here, failed to see it coming.

VP

NEWSFLASH

This may or may not be the green shoots of recovery.

Personally, I doubt it, I think we are a year too early for that.

BUT....

I can absolutely guarantee you that when the real green shoots appear, the posters on here will be the LAST people to realise it happened.

Blah blah, bull trap, blah blah, great depression, blah blah, 1930's, blah blah, still too expensive, blah blah, 90% discounts coming soon, blah blah, Ponzi, blah blah, Mc Broon & ZaNu Labour, blah blah, but I live in London and still can't buy a house for two krugerands and a packet of crisps, blah blah...... well, you get the idea....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

NEWSFLASH

I can absolutely guarantee you that when the real green shoots appear, the posters on here will be the LAST people to realise it happened.

Yes that's quite true. I think most people are naturally either bullish or bearish and by definition this site is mostly full of bears. We may well have been ahead of the game when it came to forecasting the downturn, but we'll be behind the game when it comes to realising things are levelling off/improving. Just to prove my point I can't see that coming any time soon!

Yes that's quite true. I think most people are naturally either bullish or bearish and by definition this site is mostly full of bears. We may well have been ahead of the game when it came to forecasting the downturn, but we'll be behind the game when it comes to realising things are levelling off/improving. Just to prove my point I can't see that coming any time soon!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

NEWSFLASH

BUT....

Blah blah, bull trap, blah blah, great depression, blah blah, 1930's, blah blah, still too expensive, blah blah, 90% discounts coming soon, blah blah, Ponzi, blah blah, Mc Broon & ZaNu Labour, blah blah, but I live in London and still can't buy a house for two krugerands and a packet of crisps, blah blah...... well, you get the idea....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Two words for you Hamish - MORTGAGE CAP - :lol::lol::lol::P

I think you generalized it incorrectly.

People on here want to stop getting ripped off.

People on here want some of that good life and security that the boomer generation enjoyed.

And others on here want a pound of flesh. You know who you are...

I can't see this being true. This site is tracking a lot of data and is frequented by some pretty sophisitcated individuals offering their interpretations, while the general public have zero interest in following this stuff in any detail, relying instead on the simplified (and often manipulated) mainstream media.

To suggest that a disinterested and financialy illiterate individual will be more likely to call the recovery than an individual who frequents this site is pushing it in my opinion.

More likely, in the same way they cling to the boom well past it's sell by date, the general public are likley to project similar immortality onto the bust, once they fully accept it's existance.

I can't see this being true. This site is tracking a lot of data and is frequented by some pretty sophisitcated individuals offering their interpretations, while the general public have zero interest in following this stuff in any detail, relying instead on the simplified (and often manipulated) mainstream media.

To suggest that a disinterested and financialy illiterate individual will be more likely to call the recovery than an individual who frequents this site is pushing it in my opinion.

More likely, in the same way they cling to the boom well past it's sell by date, the general public are likley to project similar immortality onto the bust, once they fully accept it's existance.

Agreed, this site is years ahead of the curve, it just annoys Hamish that he didn`t find it early enough to STR :P:P:lol::lol::lol:

Guest Steve Cook

My guess is that Bernanke has had hois arm twisted by Obama's new administration given that the gloss is wearing off Obama's election rhetoric as the US public is beginning to wake up to the fact that he is not going to be able come in like some shining knight and save the day with immediate effect.

Guest sillybear2

How wonderful... did they also give tomorrows results for the 4:30 at Cheltenham?

Of course banks will recover, they haven't been allowed to fail and taxpayers have kindly assumed responsbility for all their toxic shit! Even if the economy sinks into deep depression and loan losses go through the roof, the banks still won't fail, it'll be like AIG, they will keep coming back for more government money time and time again.

It's like having a betting account bank rolled by the government, if you roll the dice and win you get to keep the chips, if you lose the tax payer is left to carry the can... the banks will play this game all day long for good reason!

Edited by sillybear2

NEWSFLASH

BUT....

idea....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

maybe, but the point is an end to the recession doesn't equal a return to business as usual. the more time goes by, the more japanese the whole thing looks. They too had periods of positive growth, which would technically end a recession based on the dictionary definition of one, but they were false dawns for the idea that the return to the previous levels of growth and boom were around the corner.

I predict this to be the same, the recession could be comparatively brief and not as severe as say the 30's, but like the 30's there will be after effects for several years afterward. There will be no sense of "phew, that's over, business as usual, now how much would you like to borrow, sir ?" or the sense that, "phew, that's over, now we can get a million of these 3.2 million unemployed building bridges to nowhere"

Everyone can see things are getting better.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/89589/...t-top-of-market

Work picking up and so will the housing market. Get ready to be gazumped soon. :lol:

I bet you're all sitting there with tombstones in your eyes reading these good news reports. :lol:

Sorry Sibbers but I'm afraid my signature is full this month.

Could you come back in a fortnight's time with the next Sibleyesque corker?

Edited by Harry Monk

Work picking up and so will the housing market. Get ready to be gazumped soon. :lol:

I bet you're all sitting there with tombstones in your eyes reading these good news reports. :lol:

I am glad you get some reassurance from that Sibley, but...

The NMEA are down to spotting one house selling every now and then. "Oh look, a big one has sold, write it down, lad!" Their figures mean nothing.

oooh this must be quite true la la la.

I think that some people who come trolling think that this is some ordinary board. I.E full of stupid people.

What I like about this place is that the majority of people have an informed opinion on a lot of subjects. Which is why we are blessed with the skills to see through this kind of crapola.

'................but we'll be behind the game when it comes to realising things are levelling off/improving.......' Why? because when I wake up one morning I will find that 1,000,000 homes have been sold and have increased by 60% overnight and then I will think..........'damn missed the boat'. Get real small d1ck.

Read it earlier.

Its fantastic news go and read the article very carefully. We are in spring usually the bullish part of the year for property and this is the best they can come up with :lol: