House Price Crash Forum

Govt To Introduce £2000 Trade In On Used Cars...

Typical Labour con trick.

VAT on a new £11,500 car is £2012.50

Labour are losing billions in VAT revenues due to the collapsed car market.

So, they "give" you £2000 of YOUR OWN MONEY which you use to buy a new car, which goes back to the govt. in VAT which makes their deficit look less bad, financed by a bank/car company loan which pumps up bank lending, putting people FURTHER into debt.

They blew up the housing market, now they're trying the same scam on the next most expensive purchase, the car market. It's about one thing and one thing only MORE DEBT.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the whole point, the banks make a fortune on the loan and the main dealer makes a fortune

on his price hike. It seems the only loser is the one buying the car. Still nothing new there.

what loan? I thought the whole reason for the car crash, was the lack of loans!

even with 2000 voucher, the buyers will still need the loans

Ha,ha they all have a 3% fee, yeah lets all pay 3% more for our new cars, then after 18 months the interest

rate are at 16%. I bet you are loaded. lol.

3% over 18 months is 2% over 12 months.

2% APR unsecured credit. A good deal. Pay it off before the end.

Guest eight
Because you are polluting the planet with harmfull emission which in turn is causing the sea level to rise and the rains to fall in the wrong areas. Polar Bears are now finding it difficult to find mates in the Noth Pole as the ice is melting leaving them marooned and floating around the world on iceburgs all on their lonesome without even a friendly seal for company.

Sorry, of course. Won't somebody think of the polar bears!

As an aside, if it's true that people are 9/10th's water, that means that every man, woman and child on earth is a mobile store of water. So overpopulation should cause sea levels to fall, as the water is all locked up inside people?

Also my Hyundai has unusually large washer bottles for such a small car; so long as I keep them topped up am I also stopping the sea level from rising?

eight

That's the whole point, the banks make a fortune on the loan and the main dealer makes a fortune

on his price hike. It seems the only loser is the one buying the car. Still nothing new there.

I think the car purchaser is about even on the deal and the losers are the ones paying the tax that funds this 2k voucher.

what loan? I thought the whole reason for the car crash, was the lack of loans!

even with 2000 voucher, the buyers will still need the loans

Well it may have something to do with me being totally minted, with a squeaky clean credit

rating, but I'm getting loans offered through the post on a fortnightly basis at rates at around

8-9%.

I guess it's only the thick numpties this is aimed at and their credit ratings normally suck, so

you could be right. Maybe it won't work after all.

Point taken.

But then the bait has dropped off of the hook no? Nobody will be taken in will they?

Once Martin Lewis has told everyone it'll take them 12 years of driving around in a bean can to get their money back on saved fuel and when they see in 2months time, the car they were about to buy now, is the same price after the "discount".

Not everyone is as thick as Brown hopes/thinks they are.

Meanwhile everyone trying to get on with their lives and buy/sell a car now, has another Gordon Factor to deal with.

We'll all need permanent admin assistants soon to cope with this mania.

This man is a blight on our lives.

The first question that come to my mind is when is a car not a car. Show up with a lawn mower and claim it is a car. Will the recyclers have discretion to say what a car is?

Of course the car dealership is going to redeem this coupon for government tax money, so he doesn't care. The problem is that if everyone is to be given a gift of tax money, then everyone's tax must increase by the same amount. The government cannot give except what it takes. There will however be losses incurred through administration. Nothing has actually changed, cars always ended up at the scrap heap anyhow.

The big losers are going to be non car drivers. They will pay the tax but gain no benefits. So it is an anti green tax. Those that use bicycles or trains lose. If they pay for it by only taxing motorists they are effectively adding £2000 to a car in order to give it back.

Overall its a silly idea. Its doesn't help the UK, who has no car companies. What it does is set up a new level of beurocracy and taxation, and that's the idea. Bigger departments and more jobs for civil servants.

Unbelievable. I drive a 97 Mazda 323F, 2.0 V6. Bought a year and a half ago for £1200, done 30k miles in it with next to no maintenance (Front disks & pads, tyres, oil - Say £400 in all). Now book price on it is around £700. Even with the £2k voucher on offer, I wouldn't buy a new car, the depreciation is too much and the price too high.

As others have mentioned, those driving a 9 year old car won't be able to afford this offer, and those that can afford this offer won't be driving a 9 year old car!

Now if they extended the voucher to 3 or 4 years, and to independent dealers as well as main dealers, I think I'd actually be interested. That's pretty much halving the price of a Celica or RX8 of that age, and I'd be happy with either :lol:

youve just made the case for ID cards

lol

Indeed, I thnk this is a great idea, although to reduce risk of this system being a abused I think there should be an National Scrappage Authority to monitor this scheme, working alongside the Ministry for ID cards keeping the Government Modernisation and Efficiency Unit fully up to date to make sure that iner-department synergies are fully exploited and waste is kept to a minimum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...-car-sales.html

well it's booted car sales in the short term, BUT it's pissing away tax payers money on cars that people don't need.

The government is going to piss the money away anyway, usually with no benefit to anyone except themselves and their fatcat friends. At least this will only cost £10s of millions instead of billions.

• During the boom the majority of people were buying brand new cars with all the lovely credit they were offered. So the majority of cars on the road now are under 5 years old.

• A large number of people also choose to buy a new car every 3 years or 5 years. A number of them will leave the market due to rising prices and lower px values, preferring to hang on till car is 9 before they trade in.

• As someone else mentioned, those who drive a 9 year old car do so because 1) they can’t afford a new one or 2) don’t care about their image and don’t see any point in buying new.

(One may also ask how many of those who were involved in coming up with this new scheme actually drive 9-year old cars :rolleyes: these people are completely divorced from reality.)

• If anything, this will have a further negative effect on the sales of new cars.

• Scrap dealers will start charging people again to take their old bangers (as was the case a couple of years ago when every man & his dog was scrapping old cars & buying new) but will be able to charge more now (some will surreptitiously & illegally start selling them on with fake papers).

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

Point 1: Prior to 1992 (I think) there was something called 'special car tax' which was a 10% charge on all new cars. So if you bought a 10k car you paid 15% VAT plus 10% special car tax ie 25%.

The Government abolished this SCT and immediately Ford increased their prices by 10%. It was done within days.

Point 2: This policy will be a subsidy for foreign workers - As a rule Brititons, particularly private buyers, prefer to buy buy foreign cars. FACT. We manufacture fewer cars (I think) than we buy but many of our manufactured cars (and components) are for export so this policy will not truly help British manufacturing.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle5904540.ece

Lord Mandelson is preparing to put a £2,000 bounty on used cars in an attempt to stimulate the motor industry.

Senior government sources said that talks were at an advanced stage and a deal could be announced in the Budget on April 22.

Under the proposed stimulus package, drivers would be able to turn in their car, which must be at least nine years old, and get a £2,000 discount on the purchase of any new or one-year-old car bought at a dealership in Britain.

The motorists would have to deliver their old vehicles to one of a number of car recycling plants and receive a confirmation certificate. They would present this to a car dealer and get the government-funded £2,000 discount. Motorists would be able to purchase any brand of car.

Well, you still need to be able to afford a new car in the first place. That means spending your own cash - which not many people seem to want to do right now, or getting finance - which many people don't seem to be able to get right now.

so much for green policies

totally.

this and prince charles giving the poor a lecture on being green while being driven around in a 6mpg bentley.

the government thinking of fining people for over filling their bins, while they build a thrid runway against all opposition.

now 2k to get rid of a workable car so they can open up massive factory production to boom speed.

what will they do with all the 2k cars ?

dump them.

theres no green and theres no global warming caused by man. id like them to explain the last ice age ?

what, was it cavement leaving their cave thermostats on ? traffic jams on the african plains ?

theres no green ideology - its just a way of taking your personal money off you.

to give to india, pakistan, banks, shysters and corrupt government officials etc.

Well I have a 9 year old VW 'banger' and according to autotrader it is still worth £ 2K

the people who will benefit are those who bought cars that depreciate fast i.e. badly built junk that falls apart

so much for green policies

funny, but not many BMW and merc bangers around...maybe its these you are refering to... :P