House Price Crash Forum

The Priory Group In Trouble

I have learnt from a reliable source (well, an employee actually) that, following an emergency meeting this afternoon, a large number of staff (including clinical staff) across the Priory Group of Hospitals have been given three options 1) voluntary redundancy 2) a significant cut in working hours or 3) face the sack. My understanding is that the company, which RBS has a massive stake in, is currently having difficulties rolling over its colossal debt. Most private mental health units are run at minimal staffing levels at the best of times so the thought of the Priory shedding clinical jobs is plain scary.

It seems like no sector would be spared in this recession/depression...

Sounds crazy to me :P

I would have thought now was the best time to be in the mental health business, with all the stress that's coming down the pipe- maybe they could have a 'march madness' sale- two personalities for the price of one.

(The voices in my head made me write this in a flippant and disrespectful way- they are naughty like that)

Sounds crazy to me :P

I would have thought now was the best time to be in the mental health business, with all the stress that's coming down the pipe- maybe they could have a 'march madness' sale- two personalities for the price of one.

(The voices in my head made me write this in a flippant and disrespectful way- they are naughty like that)

It should be 'the best time', but most of the stressed, crazed and addicted are potless - and that's no good to The Priory.

It should be 'the best time', but most of the stressed, crazed and addicted are potless - and that's no good to The Priory.

Good point- I guess the Priory's main client base were amongst the trophy wife class, who can now no longer afford to service their neuroses.

Private healthcare is in the same league as Range Rover Sports and Prada Shoes. Basically for people with money to burn and not essential spending.

Many of these private healthcare groups (including the previously much respected Nuffield Group) got sucked in to "lifestyle healthcare" and now see their market evaporating. Nuffield Healthcare are asking their consultants to take a pay cut and have sacked many of the people they took on in the last couple of years.

Good point- I guess the Priory's main client base were amongst the trophy wife class, who can now no longer afford to service their neuroses.

.and rich kids too. I visited someone there some years back in the observation ward (where someone is put on first admission) and the place was crawling with kids kicked out of public school for drug taking. I was shocked that none of us visitors were searched or even asked what we were carrying. I saw continued drug taking there and very little supervision. Thought it sad that parents were bankrupting themselves for nothing. Saw a lot of other poor goings on there that I'd better not write as I can imagine the Priory would be litigious. Once the credit card of the person I was visiting hit limit, they had to be transferred to a state unit - a truly terrifying place to visit. Mental health care is truly in a terrible, terrible way.

Priory advertise a lot on my local radio station, Inside Track used to advertise a lot there, take from that what you will...

Not entirely true..The priory does have a large private clientele but a lot of their inpatients are NHS funded forensic/ acutely ill patients who are too unwell or dangerous to be managed on NHS units- the going rate for such admissions is around 5-6k per bed/week(average duration of admission around 6-8 weeks), which I guess is far more than what they make from private clients..

Edited by thirdwave
.and rich kids too. I visited someone there some years back in the observation ward (where someone is put on first admission) and the place was crawling with kids kicked out of public school for drug taking. I was shocked that none of us visitors were searched or even asked what we were carrying. I saw continued drug taking there and very little supervision. Thought it sad that parents were bankrupting themselves for nothing. Saw a lot of other poor goings on there that I'd better not write as I can imagine the Priory would be litigious. Once the credit card of the person I was visiting hit limit, they had to be transferred to a state unit - a truly terrifying place to visit. Mental health care is truly in a terrible, terrible way.

Priory advertise a lot on my local radio station, Inside Track used to advertise a lot there, take from that what you will...

I can confirm that is the usual practice- the kick you out the very day your money/insurance runs out...

i've visited several people at the priory over the years and for mental health problems it is the best available, for lots of things the nhs is actually better then private, except waiting times. but not mental health.

i've also visited a nhs mental hospital for a relative and i've never been so frightened in my life..

Recession proof in America, not so much over here I thought.

I would have thought the opposite to be the case, given the fact that healthcare in this country is primarily state run. I work for the NHS and there has been a lot of talk recently of 'efficiency savings' (read job cuts) in the organisation I work for- Some of the cuts (mainly through job freezes)are expected to be announced in the new financial year.

WRT the Priory, I have always been disgusted at the amount of money that is routinely wasted on putting NHS patients in these hospitals-once admitted, hospitals like the Priory charge for a lot of 'extras' and costs of 200-250k per patient/ admission are not uncommon. The government has come to view these hospitals as quasi PFI projects and has in many instances (especially in the forensic sector) not chosen to develop NHS inpatient services, allowing private players such as the Priory to fill the void instead.

The fact that the Priory has run into difficulties must mean that there is some serious belt tightening going on in the NHS

Guest happy?
I have learnt from a reliable source (well, an employee actually) that, following an emergency meeting this afternoon, a large number of staff (including clinical staff) across the Priory Group of Hospitals have been given three options 1) voluntary redundancy 2) a significant cut in working hours or 3) face the sack. My understanding is that the company, which RBS has a massive stake in, is currently having difficulties rolling over its colossal debt. Most private mental health units are run at minimal staffing levels at the best of times so the thought of the Priory shedding clinical jobs is plain scary.

Priory Group in trouble - I'll drink to that.

Guest LongBlackKilt

One attempted detox too far.

The fact that the Priory has run into difficulties must mean that there is some serious belt tightening going on in the NHS

They are all racing to get foundation trust status, part of which is hitting financial targets

If they make foundation trust status then they get more control e.g. they can opt out of accepting (and paying for) the new national IT system npfit which has been 'in development' since 2002

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...line/article.do

FWIW priory don't just provide mental health and rehab care. They also have a fair sized network of residential special schools as a direct result of education policy of 'inclusion' which actually excludes those with greatest need from the state system in many cases. The placements are nearly always funded by LEAs because many no longer have any special schools and parents have to fight for the private sector alternative-if they go bust many vulnerable children will be left without a much needed 24 hr therapeutic curriculum. Not good news for this section of their client base who will struggle to find suitable alternatives.