House Price Crash Forum

Why The Bounce On The Dow?

HOLA441
HOLA442
What's causing such a big bounce on the Dow this week?

Is Obama the messiah again?

Nope-the Citi announcement Monday. Pankrit whatshisname said something like "looks like we made a profit in the first two months of 09 providing we can value all the shit on our balance sheet in our own dumb-ass way". I paraphrase as he said the same sort of crap in Q4 08. Don't know why people believe him but there you go.

HOLA443
Nope-the Citi announcement Monday. Pankrit whatshisname said something like "looks like we made a profit in the first two months of 09 providing we can value all the shit on our balance sheet in our own dumb-ass way". I paraphrase as he said the same sort of crap in Q4 08. Don't know why people believe him but there you go.

BofA promising to turn a profit for 2009, GE downgrade less than expected, better than expected sales and on the technical side a few people expecting a bear rally, could all be factors,

HOLA444
HOLA445

Cash in the bank is going to go down in value because of inflation so its being spent quickly.

Gold was up and the stock market was up !!!!! Whats that all about then?

It's on Daddy Bear's list / timeline of events but I think he's got it in the wrong order OR he needs to add another

"Rush to assets"

I believe this rally is the real deal for quite sometime unless the bond market collapses. They ARE going to reinflate the bubble, they have no other policies. I went into the market monday big time but I truely believe it's going up but I also truely believe all of the bearish views on here.

HOLA446

i was going to cash in my Nat West ISA last week which has performed abysmally over the last year and a half. spoke to the 'advisor' who said well all the markets are down so its to be expected (don't they short stuff?)

anyway - i remember reading an article in Money Week who have been a lone voice of sense in the last year or so and read an article that said share prices were going to shoot up around Thursday this week (i'm sure i'm not imagining it!) and on that basis I though 'stuff it - i'll hold on and maybe give it a week or two before I cash out.

i've not checked the price of the ISA (possibly its this week that the muppet fund manager learned how to short) but it bodes well.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
What's causing such a big bounce on the Dow this week?

Is Obama the messiah again?

The market has fallen so much recently, that we were due a bounce.

Pretty incredible that the markets respons to a lack of bad information by soaring.

Dead cat bounce all the way.

My guess that they DOW will get down to mid 5k before eventually stabilising into the medium term.

Could be wrong though.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
It must be easier for large stockholders to sell significant chunks of shares undetected when the market is going up? Pump and dump?

How about this.

FTSE 100.Most financial companies down to minimal market caps.Downside wont affect the index itself much from here.

Big oil,pharma,telco and commods who all gain from falling sterling trading at muti year/decade lows.

Interest rates at 0.5%.Massive fiscal loosening in all economies.

Some companies increasing profits ie Morrissons today.Inflation is in the system,deflation doesnt exist apart from in asset prices ie housing.

Huge mega-mergers ie Merck.I work in the industry,the big players know these are bargain times to move.Expect more.

FTSE compared to other world markets is much more defensive.Pharma,tobacco,oil,utilities make up a large part of the index.

The stock market has nothing to do with the housing market.

Yield 5.3% all share.Rock solid part of that around 4.2% (GSK,BP,VOD,BAT,BG,TESCO,ASTRAZENECA,UTILITIES,etc) will all raise dividends through this downturn and out the other side.All inflation and currency hedges.

15 years of malinvestment of capital in housing coming to an end.

My opinion regards stock markets and i accept it will be shot down.I think the next 20 years will see a sustained and huge bull market in stocks.I think the UK economy will lag by a long long way,but the UK economy isnt what drives the UK stock market,and certainly not Asian stock markets.

Could we see a decade long bear market in stocks going forward.Yes.Could the markets half again.Yes.

You pays your money and you takes your chance.

HOLA4424
well you seem to be in agreement

:D

slooooooooooooooooooooooow motion.

Pounds devalues, yes that is inevitable but I cant relate that to say the DOW going up or gold which is internationally traded.

I can understand why people may want to buy gold and stocks instead of having cash going down in value in the banks.

Please explain more :(

Edited by Mr Grumpy

HOLA4425