House Price Crash Forum

Lets All Stand For Parliament

People on here, intelligent, know so much more economics than the average Sun-reader. Why is no-one standing?

Costs money to stand for parliament. Local govt is free though. BUt you need to register a party or find one you like and become active in it.

They need a better website, for a start.

If you want to break the current two-party system, there's the Lib Dems.

I think that the problem is the party system (and i think that is what they are saying?) .

The party chooses the candidates available to be elected , and when elected the whip

system makes the MPs vote for the party line.

The famous Blair babes were afaics a good indication of the corruption of the party system -

total yes women . At least some of the old labourites had honesty frex Tony Benn .

The current lot of labour MPs are sheep .

The Tories are all out for themselves and their friends in the city , and so dont need a party anyway.

The libdems are as corrupt as the rest ... where were they on the promised referendum on the

lisbon treaty? abstained .

they backed the refusal to allow the dutch politician entry . The whole lot are a bunch of self

serving tossers .... I think what we need is a new non party party :blink:

http://www.juryteam.org/

Does anyone know anything about this lot? I'm worried they may be UKIP in disguise.

Twelve proposals. One of those concerns the EU, and it makes sense - at least so long as it's not abused in a "we must" manner in the (probably rare) occasions where it would stand in the way of doing the right thing.

Looks interesting indeed. But the selection criteria - direct democracy - is going to mean you need a high profile. A miniature Obama vs Clinton battle to get selected, and who can afford that? So that'll leave selection to people with an existing following, so we can have candidates ranging from footballers to (at best) headmasters of popular schools.

At least, on a very brief first look ...

Shame Sreaming Lord Sutch topped himself a few years back. At least he tried to give an alternative. I believe there was a councillor elected in 1991 in Torquay for the Monster Raving Loony Party, by the name of Basil Fawlty. Seems he is now a Tory councillor for Sidmouth Rural, however :(

Guest UK Debt Slave
They need a better website, for a start.

If you want to break the current two-party system, there's the Lib Dems.

A vote for Tony Clegg is as much use as a chocolate teapot

Costs money to stand for parliament. Local govt is free though. BUt you need to register a party or find one you like and become active in it.

Or stand as an Independent. The Independents were the big winners in the all-out local elections for Welsh councils last year. And there are two in Parliament.

I would agree, but what if you live in a safe Labour seat, like Doncaster or Rhondda?

In Rhondda my Dad always sais they would vote for a donkey if it wore a red rosette. On second thoughts, I think a donkey would probably done quite a good job and would not have stayed in his sisters spare stable while claiming second home allowance.

Archived