House Price Crash Forum

Whens The Optimum Time For Cash Buyers To Buy ?

HOLA441
It's a bit too early to look for "bargains" ultimate or otherwise, though some reductions of 20% or more may occasionally be had. At the moment prices are still ludicrously high but falling. Why buy now when waiting just another 12 months (or possibly less) could save you a bomb? Still, if some people want to chuck their money away then that's their business.

Just seemed important to say that in actual fact a house being sold at a sensible price isn't a BARGAIN. Just a few short years ago a house worth £250000 was said to be worthy "a quarter of a million" it was considered EXPENSIVE. 10 years ago you could get a family sized 3 bed property for £90000 or less. I think it is important to consider things from this perspective, bargains say we SHOULD SNAP THEM UP, sensible house prices, when they finally start to happen will be something that will eventually be here to stay

HOLA442
HOLA443
You have a fixed amount of time to live, getting a screaming bargain on your next house won't make it any longer.

True, but the price you pay for your house will have a huge influence on the quality of that life.

Buy with a big mortgage: Commit to 25 years of wage slavery.

Buy with a small mortgage: More flexibility. Can switch to a lower-paying job if it appeals, or reduce hours. Live better.

Buy with no mortgage: "Freedom"!

HOLA444

despite what this board's resident 'mystic meg's will have you believe [and there are several on here] no-one will ever, other than by pure chance, correctly call the bottom. even if you could, your chances of benefiting from this insight would be sketchy at best... it can easily take quite a few months to agree a price and seal a deal with a vendor, and if, at the very end of that process, there are signs that prices are moving upwards, any half-sensible vendor will gazump you anyway, putting you back to square one.

i personally am waiting for real falls of around 30-40% from peak. this will be the point at which i would consider houses to represent half-decent value given the level of wages.

if this doesn't ever look like happening i will give serious thought to emigrating. i'm not interested in bringing my children up in an environment where you have to earn double the average wage to be able to afford to live in a house that is no better than the one that their average or below-average earning grandparents lived in. i thought that living standards were supposed to be getting better over time?

Edited by the flying pig

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
True, but the price you pay for your house will have a huge influence on the quality of that life.

Buy with a big mortgage: Commit to 25 years of wage slavery.

Buy with a small mortgage: More flexibility. Can switch to a lower-paying job if it appeals, or reduce hours. Live better.

Buy with no mortgage: "Freedom"!

Pay attention at the back! We are talking about cash buyers here, I have already made the proviso that anyone who needs a mortgage should wait for the bottom to minimise the debt burden.

HOLA448
Pay attention at the back! We are talking about cash buyers here, I have already made the proviso that anyone who needs a mortgage should wait for the bottom to minimise the debt burden.

What if the when we arrive at the bottom interest rates are 16% ? whereas today they are the lowest since the Bronze Age ?

Calling the bottom is not hard, its pretty much plain to see, but calling a low house price coupled with cheap finance, thats the call.

HOLA449
What if the when we arrive at the bottom interest rates are 16% ? whereas today they are the lowest since the Bronze Age ?

Calling the bottom is not hard, its pretty much plain to see, but calling a low house price coupled with cheap finance, thats the call.

If IRs get to 16% the bottom will be a very low, floor-scraping bottom.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
When they have the cash, and they see something they really want to live in at a price which seems reasonable.

I'd also add to buy before the banks collapse (and you lose your cash), or hyperinflation caused by the printing of money kicks in (and your savings become worthless). Look to buy a house in an area that is unlikely to have groups of yobs kicking your door in, and where you can still find work in times of extreme depression.

HOLA4416
I'd also add to buy before the banks collapse (and you lose your cash), or hyperinflation caused by the printing of money kicks in (and your savings become worthless). Look to buy a house in an area that is unlikely to have groups of yobs kicking your door in, and where you can still find work in times of extreme depression.

Is property cheap in Monte Carlo now ? ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
It's pretty reasonable now... I saw a central 5 bed flat for £32million the other day, so there are some absolute bargains to be had if you move quickly.

I think I will wait a while, when it drops to 25m I will make a move. I am guessing laminate flooring is popular in Monte Carlo, and with inflation heading our way soon I reckon it might turn a few Euro's being let out to Students.