House Price Crash Forum

Sleepwalking Into A Police State - This Is Unbelievable

Methinkshe

My son has just phoned and told me that he just went to Morrisons and as is his custom allowed his 2 year old son to hand his debit card to the cashier. Customarily, the kid also presses the "enter" button after my son has entered his pin.

She said she could not accept the debit card from him as he is a minor and they were buying restricted products - i.e. a bottle of wine for Sunday lunch! He had to take the debit card from his son's hand and give it to the checkout girl himself!

Is it sheer ignorance or what? This is worse than jobsworth it is either total ignorance (forget lack of discernment, that went by the board long ago) or a wilful desire to be controlled. One way or another we are walking ourselves into a police state - not only are we not protesting, we are actively aiding and abetting.

It seems to me that ignorance is leading the way...........

Perhaps that is why Labour has destroyed our education system - while pretending to improve it. Ignorance makes for a very easily controlled populace.

Edited for typo.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps that is why Labour has destroyed our education system - while pretending to improve it. Ignorance makes for a very easily controlled populace.

You have it here. Trouble is, my school never taught me how to think either, it was my Dad who did that (and paid the price in arguments for a solid 8 years until I left home!).

You should probably be careful not to take te wrong lesson from what is one, possibly isolated incident. My view would be that the woman on the checkout, who was probably on minimum wage, was ather unintelligent and unable to understand what discretion means.

It hardly means we are sleepwalking into a police state.

You should probably be careful not to take te wrong lesson from what is one, possibly isolated incident. My view would be that the woman on the checkout, who was probably on minimum wage, was ather unintelligent and unable to understand what discretion means.

I wouldn't take it that way though in that alot of people say its not worth my job to do this and that , in Mc'ds people were told they would be fired if the portions of chips were too big and they were often subject to being weighed...

It could just be a case of self interest ie some manager is spying on her through the cameras...

I've done plenty of things I have thought utterly ridiculous in my time , as an accountant we had to follow strict anti money laundering procedures, we had to acertain the identities of everybody we did work for get a driving licence/passport photo, get a utility bill take a photo , take down their NI number etc and many more hoops to jump through. The partners made us do this because the government made them do this...

We did it to preserve our jobs as nobody took it seriously until a lawyer in Brum who failed to follow such procedures was imprisoned even though there was no money laundering going on.

I think its more a case of covering ones own rear end in that it could be considered by a high paid lawyer type (think Cherie Blair) to twist it so that the child was buying.

And they are just afraid of liability which may arise out of this.

I agree. If I had been serving, I would have done the same thing. It's always better to cover oneself imo, because of Sod's laws, and because of the world we live in. I don't see what the problem is TBH.

I'm not so sure. There was a piece in the Telegraph the other day about a woman who attempted to go through the checkout with a bottle of wine and accompanied by a young daughter. The check-out girl would not allow her to purcahse the wine. So she took her daughter back to the car and then returned - to the same checkout - and opurchased the bottle of wine.

No, there's something much, much worse going on than you appreciate......

My husband had the same thing happen to him, although he was with my 18 yr old son who didn't happen to have proof of ID with him. They were buying 6 cans of beer along with a load of other groceries. He was refused - they would not allow him to make the purchase. My husband decided to shop elsewhere. Had it been me, I think I might have made a scene - like call the manager, call head office etc etc...

You are right, ignorance is leading the way. You are also right that we are sleepwalking to a police state

But this is only evidence of jobsworth's stupidity. Labour does not cause the stupidity, it just exploits it.

I despair of the "cover-my-****" responses.

Do you not undrstand that you are playing with individula freedom here?

Today's "cover-my-****" is tommorow's criminal offence.

Stand up and be counted you lily-livered lot! Sod your arses! Take a beating for once! Isn't that what your grandfathers did in WW1 and WW2 in the interests of liberty? Yet you all cower behind "save-my-****" selfishness. What a worthless bunch!

Stand up and be counted you lily-livered lot! Sod your arses! Take a beating for once! Isn't that what your grandfathers did in WW1 and WW2 in the interests of liberty? Yet you all cower behind "save-my-****" selfishness. What a worthless bunch!

Unity is strength. A single **** doesn't make it through the swear filter but the plural arses do.

p-o-p

I'm not so sure. There was a piece in the Telegraph the other day about a woman who attempted to go through the checkout with a bottle of wine and accompanied by a young daughter. The check-out girl would not allow her to purcahse the wine. So she took her daughter back to the car and then returned - to the same checkout - and opurchased the bottle of wine.

if the checkout girl "SUSPECTS" you are purchasing it for your daughter who cannot show proof of age she has every right to refuse you the sale regardless if she was to be drinking it with your permission or not at all. and she can refuse you the sale even if you are entering the premisis on your own. or at anytime in the future for that matter.

No, there's something much, much worse going on than you appreciate......

My husband had the same thing happen to him, although he was with my 18 yr old son who didn't happen to have proof of ID with him. They were buying 6 cans of beer along with a load of other groceries. He was refused - they would not allow him to make the purchase. My husband decided to shop elsewhere. Had it been me, I think I might have made a scene - like call the manager, call head office etc etc...

thats a very immature attitude for your husband to take though not uncommon.

if you had called the manager down and it had been me i would have done the exact same thing and refused you the sale . why should my cashier WHO IS PERSONALLY LIABLE and myself as a licence holder risk our jobs the reputation of the company we work for and our futures just to take "your word" that your son is 18 or that he wouldnt be drinking it.

think about things from the other side before you mouth off about someone doing their job proffesionally and with due dilligence even if it is ONLY for...... minimum wage as seems to have been belittled in above posts.

edited for spelling

Guest eight
My son has just phoned and told me that he just went to Morrisons and as is his custom allowed his 2 year old son to hand his debit card to the cashier. Customarily, the kid also presses the "enter" button after my son has entered his pin.

She said she could not accept the debit card from him as he is a minor and they were buying restricted products - i.e. a bottle of wine for Sunday lunch! He had to take the debit card from his son's hand and give it to the checkout girl himself!

Is it sheer ignorance or what? This is worse than jobsworth it is either total ignorance (forget lack of discernment, that went by the board long ago) or a wilful desire to be controlled. One way or another we are walking ourselves into a police state - not only are we not protesting, we are actively aiding and abetting.

Edited for typo.

Interesting. My wife was once refused service in Morrisons as she looked under 18, when trying to purchase a bottle of cooking brandy amongst approx. £70 worth of other shopping. Now if it had been just five bottles of white star and a bag of crisps, I might have been more sympathetic. When I then offered to pay I too was refused as I would obviously be "buying it for her".

But worse still, she was trying to pay with a (Morrisons branded) HSBC Credit card (min. application age 18). So they weren't bothered about the potential credit card fraud, just the bottle of cooking brandy.....

eight

+1

if the checkout girl "SUSPECTS" you are purchasing it for your daughter who cannot show proof of age she has every right to refuse you the sale regardless if she was to be drinking it with your permission or not at all. and she can refuse you the sale even if you are entering the premisis on your own. or at anytime in the future for that matter.

thats a very immature attitude for your husband to take though not uncommon.

if you had called the manager down and it had been me i would have done the exact same thing and refused you the sale . why should my cashier WHO IS PERSONALLY LIABLE and myself as a licence holder risk our jobs the reputation of the company we work for and our futures just to take "your word" that your son is 18 or that he wouldnt be drinking it.

think about things from the other side before you mouth off about someone doing their job proffesionally and with due dilligence even if it is ONLY for...... minimum wage as seems to have been belittled in above posts.

edited for spelling

So the logical endpoint is that we all have to leave our kids in the car while we go and buy the weekly groceries :rolleyes: It's people like you causing the problems driving the rest of us nuts mate. And they're not doing their job professionally - they're doing it anally. FFS There is an adult there making the fracking purchase.

Interesting. My wife was once refused service in Morrisons as she looked under 18, when trying to purchase a bottle of cooking brandy amongst approx. £70 worth of other shopping. Now if it had been just five bottles of white star and a bag of crisps, I might have been more sympathetic. When I then offered to pay I too was refused as I would obviously be "buying it for her".

But worse still, she was trying to pay with a (Morrisons branded) HSBC Credit card (min. application age 18). So they weren't bothered about the potential credit card fraud, just the bottle of cooking brandy.....

eight

how would a cashier know if you were commiting fraud with your card. it either goes through or it comes up declined.

you could have stollen the card but conveintly dont have id to proove your card that you need to be 18 to have is actually yours.

the amount of times iv had to come down to the tills to speak to a customer like yourself who believes they are above the rules or allowed exceptions. iv never once overruled a decesion on non sales of age restricted items.

now if we lived in a society where EVERYONE was honnest no-one tried to buy drink for underagers and no one underage ever tried to buy drink or other age restricted products then the BITCHY comments that most people have made in this topic would be valid.

aside from that come work in retail with the threat of just ONE underage sale resulting in your job lost, prison, a fine and a criminal record??? yeh i thought not.

Guest mattsta1964

Things are deteriorating very rapidly

We are accelerating towards a Gramscian fascist state rather like East Germany.

Incredibly, a lot of people out there think the state should have that kind of power over the people. The British are particularly institutionalised compared with other nations.

The UK is the most sophisticated totalitarian state in the world simply by virtue of the fact that the vast majority of people THINK and BELIEVE they are free, unlike countries in the old Soviet bloc nations who knew they were slaves.

Astonishing isn't it!

The fact is, the moment you are issued with a birth certificate, you become chattel of the state and a bonded slave. If you refuse to register a birth, the state will kidnap your child. You do not own your own children. They are the property of the Crown.

You are entered into contract with the state before you can even think beyond crapping you nappy. You are seized as surety against the national debt and the debt based monetary system. Upon reaching reaching working age, you are issued a NI number and you become an employee of the state and the state will allow you to keep just enough of the wealth you create to allow you to eat, keep a roof over your head and enjoy a couple weeks holiday in Chavalorimos. The rest the State steals for itself.

The Crown are the landowners

WE are their cattle

If we become sick or unprofitable, we go to the abbatoir - via war/famine/state terror/disease(AIDS for example)

It's as simple as that really.

Everything you've ever read in a newspaper or seen on TV is a fantasy designed to make you believe you are free.

n retail with the threat of just ONE underage sale resulting in your job lost, prison, a fine and a criminal record??? yeh i thought not.

Deeper repercussions exist than that , in that when applying for citizenships in 'less' doomed countries I was subject to a criminal record check each time.

And if it came up clean and you were wanted , welcome in , if you had a criminal record sorry we don't want your kind in our country.

An example is my cousin who is disowned by everybody , he has 2 convictions for drink driving and all sorts of stuff that came about from it because he drove while banned sans insurance. When he came to apply for citizenship elsewhere they checked up on him and declined him citizenship.

Deeper ones still in that if you already have citizenship some states will revoke if it you are convicted of a crime deemed more than a misdemenour.

So the logical endpoint is that we all have to leave our kids in the car while we go and buy the weekly groceries :rolleyes: It's people like you causing the problems driving the rest of us nuts mate. And they're not doing their job professionally - they're doing it anally. FFS There is an adult there making the fracking purchase.
if the checkout girl "SUSPECTS" you are purchasing it for your daughter who cannot show proof of age she has every right to refuse you the sale

if they do not suspect it and can proove/argue (argue is not the word im looking for however) that in the event that person did consume alcohal bought from said till she was working on she did not knowingly allow that situation to occur. It then becomes the purchesse ie the mother's responsibilty and fine.

Sleepwalking into a Police state because a toddler couldn't press enter on a debit machine?! I've come across exaggeration in my time but this takes the biscuit.

Get over yourself

Silly man! Not that a toddler COULDN'T but that he was prevented from so doing.

Since when did we in Great britain have unwritten rules that prevented a toddler from a learning process?

You, dear man, wake up!

Sleepwalking into a Police state because a toddler couldn't press enter on a debit machine?! I've come across exaggeration in my time but this takes the biscuit.

Get over yourself

id like to point out my posts are of no relation to this event. if someone or an employee cannot use their comon sense in this matter i would not want them working for me. nor would i probably trust in their ability to tie thier own shoes in the morning. :rolleyes:

Archived