House Price Crash Forum

I posted about Moscow flat prices a while ago.

Here is a news link (in Russian) featuring flats market in St.Petersburg, Russia

RosBusinessConsulting

Short summary:

demand down 39% YOY, prices for existing flats DOWN 15-30% YOY. VIs cry for government help/guarantees. Some blocks of newbuild flats have up to 40% empty units.

P.S. President Putin is from St.Petersburg.

I lived in Berlin in 2000/2001, just before it became capital of the reunified Germany once again. I had a beautiful 200 sq m (2000 sq ft approx) flat just off the Ku'damm (equivalent to Oxford Street) in Charlottenburg (an area of Berlin twinned with Lewisham which I always found laughable). Cost around 1900 DM a month or say £650, with no local taxes. Prices there had accelerated sharply on a renunification boom in 1990/91 but as far as I know have have been going down ever since, even after I left (which I was mad to do).

Berliners would not see investing in property as sensible thing to do, despite the massive hype that surrounded the place in the 1990s (gateway to the east, capital of a resurgent Germany etc).

It's only a few quid to get there the train to Stansted will probably cost you more.

And the excellent beer was only DM4 a pint!

I lived in Berlin in 2000/2001, just before it became capital of the reunified Germany once again. I had a beautiful 200 sq m (2000 sq ft approx) flat just off the Ku'damm (equivalent to Oxford Street) in Charlottenburg (an area of Berlin twinned with Lewisham which I always found laughable). Cost around 1900 DM a month or say £650, with no local taxes. Prices there had accelerated sharply on a renunification boom in 1990/91 but as far as I know have have been going down ever since, even after I left (which I was mad to do).

Berliners would not see investing in property as sensible thing to do, despite the massive hype that surrounded the place in the 1990s (gateway to the east, capital of a resurgent Germany etc).

It's only a few quid to get there the train to Stansted will probably cost you more.

And the excellent beer was only DM4 a pint!

I was in Berlin recently - loved the place.

Huge boulevards, spread out, excellent transport.

Fabulous city and the Berliners were cool as you like.

East Berlin is a haven for young arty types from all over Europe.

A good buzz - recommend it.