Here's the breakdown http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/houseprice...&image2.y=4

Comparing July 2007, the peak in many areas, with now:

Detached £312,672 - now £263,117

Semi-det £185,560 - now £156,151

Terraced £153,172 - now £128,896

Mais/Flat £136,378 - now £114,764

Overall:

£195,498 down to £164,515

I don't think vendors are reading these figures! It's all about what you want to believe.....

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
As well. Hence mostly stalemate, for the moment.

The vendors want to believe their houses are worth 10X local incomes, the buyers can't pay that anymore.

Well in that case the vendors are not motivated to sell - a motivated vendor will sell- it's a case of waiting until something triggers that motivation....

...when you think of previous recessions this one hasnt hardly started yet in my opinion. Things will get very bad in the next 12-18 months.... I don't think anyone that I know has been effected by any credit crunch or recession related financial problems yet but I do expect that to change as the huge rises in unemployment are starting right now and as it continues it will gradual drag a lot of us into the same trap of the possibilty of long term unemployment.

...unless Gordon Brown's MASSIVE bailout to save his election next year works - although i am not confident of that at all , well we are on bailout number 5 or 6 already...it's a shame that david Cameron has been useless and has no sensible solutinos to the problems....maybe Vince Cable has some decent ideas but then no one listens to him...

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
People are missing the point - what's being quoted here by ScaredEitherWay are government Land Registry prices not 'what people may or may not pay' but actual.

We know that the Land Registry figures are actual , it's a pity the dreamers still trying to sell at 2007 prices won't accept the actual Land Registry figures or even better if they looked at the actual Nationwide or Halifax SOLD figures .

Edited by grey shark

HOLA448
...when you think of previous recessions this one hasnt hardly started yet in my opinion. Things will get very bad in the next 12-18 months.... I don't think anyone that I know has been effected by any credit crunch or recession related financial problems yet but I do expect that to change as the huge rises in unemployment are starting right now and as it continues it will gradual drag a lot of us into the same trap of the possibilty of long term unemployment.

Yep. When you think of how bad things were in the early to mid 80s, and everything is a lot worse now (the whole system is in a complete mess, people have very expensive mortgages and massive personal debt) then as you say, it's going to get worse. I just can't see any reason why it won't be awful but yet there are people who are saying that prices have reached bottom and they won't drop much more. I would like them to explain why they think this, and the logic behind it.

HOLA449
Yep. When you think of how bad things were in the early to mid 80s, and everything is a lot worse now (the whole system is in a complete mess, people have very expensive mortgages and massive personal debt) then as you say, it's going to get worse. I just can't see any reason why it won't be awful but yet there are people who are saying that prices have reached bottom and they won't drop much more. I would like them to explain why they think this, and the logic behind it.

Unfortunately people still seem to have this expectation that they deserve all th trappings of material wealth - they need to get real and soon!

HOLA4410
Here's the breakdown http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/houseprice...&image2.y=4

Comparing July 2007, the peak in many areas, with now:

Detached £312,672 - now £263,117

Semi-det £185,560 - now £156,151

Terraced £153,172 - now £128,896

Mais/Flat £136,378 - now £114,764

Overall:

£195,498 down to £164,515

watched this afternoon BBC "escape to the country" Young couple wanted to move to Battle region, they had a flat in Richmond, EA came around to value the flat (October 2008) value £360,000, couple said "thats great we bought the flat 2 years ago for £275,00.

I fell almost of the chair, EA are still in LaLa land :o