House Price Crash Forum

The Country Cannot Recover From This, Let Alone The Economy

You say that. But it has been exactly these people that have benefited the most over the last 10 years, and continue to do so.

Give you another dear old mum example. She is actually a midwife. She visits all new mums, most are jobless and don't have a husband. These days a lot of the young mums she visits have been given new build flats, that the stable couples have got into massive debt next door can't have kids, they must both work to pay the mortgage.

Who is better off. The girl that works at number 4B, or the girl at 4C who has never done a days work in her life, and just got knocked up?

it is an absolute disgrace, and for my own self-worth I don't want to contribute to it

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This country has been through:

The Black Death

War of the Roses

Civil War

South Sea Bubble

Napoleonic Wars

World War I

Great Depression

World War II

Get a grip folks.

nevertheless the timescale for recovery may be the best years of my life - I enjoyed watching Open All Hours, and the sacrifices that generation made to make a more productive world have been p*ssed away, and now I'm going to be a member of the cast myself.

Edited by Si1
nevertheless the tiumescale for revovery may be the best years of my life - I enjoyed watching Open All Hours, and the sacrifices that generation made to make a more productive world have been p*ssed away, and now I'm going to be a member of the cast myself.

It's Friday ffs cheer up, things aren't and won't be that bad.

You forgat to say 'In your pathetic non informed worthless opinion'

Tw@t

How constructive.

'non informed worthless opinion', you know nothing about how my opinion is constructed or what it is based on.

I would suggest from your agression you have something to hide, maybe you are in the 1/3rd doing nothing in the public sector? Sssssssssshhhhhhhhh the secret may get out.

The Black Death

War of the Roses

Civil War

South Sea Bubble

Napoleonic Wars

World War I

Great Depression

World War II

Get a grip folks.

Reading about such events has been interesting, doesn't mean that I want to live through one though.

The country will survive, in a fashion, but I don't think that I will like or recognise it. Did your granparents and parents not tell you stories of how things used to be? Imagine being able to tell our granchildren about the times when it was relatively rare to be stabbed in the street for nothing and you only got burgled every couple of years.

It's Friday ffs cheer up, things aren't and won't be that bad.

I mean this in all genuineness - we have such a different philosophy - evcn tho it's not of my making, I will still take responsibility for my future, and this is how it will be fixed. Your attitude will do the opposite imho.

The Black Death

War of the Roses

Civil War

South Sea Bubble

Napoleonic Wars

World War I

Great Depression

World War II

Get a grip folks.

"The country" getting through the black death wasn't much use to the people who's entire family was wiped out, bombed by the luftwaffe, killed themselves when they want pop in the GD1, died of dysentry fighting nappy and so on.

I mean this in all genuineness - we have such a different philosophy - evcn tho it's not of my making, I will still take responsibility for my future, and this is how it will be fixed. Your attitude will do the opposite imho.

I work, my wife works. We have 2 children and a house we can afford. I take full responsibilty for my future, FULL responsibility. I don't spend my day moaning about how a decision someone else makes has effected me. I just get on with it, but at the same time I manage to have an optimistic outlook on life, now to some on HPC it's that last one that's all wrong. I should be stocking up on tinned food, buying a gun and gold apparently.

I work, my wife works. We have 2 children and a house we can afford. I take full responsibilty for my future, FULL responsibility. I don't spend my day moaning about how a decision someone else makes has effected me. I just get on with it, but at the same time I manage to have an optimistic outlook on life, now to some on HPC it's that last one that's all wrong. I should be stocking up on tinned food, buying a gun and gold apparently.

I do not buy tinned food, gold or guns. I do want to be able to save up enough money after taxes and rent to be able to buy a home though.

"The country" getting through the black death wasn't much use to the people who's entire family was wiped out, bombed by the luftwaffe, killed themselves when they want pop in the GD1, died of dysentry fighting nappy and so on.

I'm not wanting to trivialise the past. On the contrary, I look at the terrible times we've gone through as a country in order to give current events some context. I think we are in danger of overstating how bad things are at the moment.

You can never afford kids, if you wait until you can then you'll never have any.

If you want them just have them, you'll find a way to cope. Children need love not money.

Wow, we could have saved a fortune if only we'd known that when designing the welfare state -- no need for most of that 90 billion of expenditure after all ;)

Seriously ... doubts about the ability to house and care for children are bound to deter couples from procreating (either altogether, or through limiting their family size). Confidence that all will be provided will have the opposite effect. The eventual demographic effects of this are obvious.

I certainly don't believe that the demographic changes we're seeing are because welfare/dependent mothers have more love to offer their children, than working mothers do. In my view, making the sacrifices of time and labour necessary to support a child is an expression of love in itself.

get a better paid job then, take responsibility. Don't whine about it.

What a daft statement.

I did have an excellent job. Although, now I'm working with a few guys to set up our own firm. I still have a good income by national standards, its still a lot more than most people my age make. However, my business is in central London, if I spent 2 hours on the train each day I could have bought a nice house in October 2007 if I wanted to. As for your comment about responsibility I think that's a joke. I don't know anything about you (nor you me) but I can tell you I have had a great deal of responsibility in my life.

But anyway, its not about me. If you bothered to read the thread you would discover I'm talking about the nation. The collective sum of us. A nation where now you are punished for work, punished for saving, punished for being a contributor. Your also rewarded for thrift, fecklessness, and short termism. and the effect this is having on the nations demographic.

But then if as I suspect your a Labour supporter your be pleased with this shift towards greater state dependency.

Wow, we could have saved a fortune if only we'd known that when designing the welfare state -- no need for most of that 90 billion of expenditure after all ;)

Seriously ... doubts about the ability to house and care for children are bound to deter couples from procreating (either altogether, or through limiting their family size). Confidence that all will be provided will have the opposite effect. The eventual demographic effects of this are obvious.

I certainly don't believe that the demographic changes we're seeing are because welfare/dependent mothers have more love to offer their children, than working mothers do. In my view, making the sacrifices of time and labour necessary to support a child is an expression of love in itself.

Thank you. That is a better way of saying what I have been trying to say.

I don't believe I did, I said if you want to do something then do it and live with the consequences.

oh you did the way I heard you, the fact that you don't believe you did just shows we define responsibilty very differently.

More nonsense.

To OP - You were an equity fund manager and couldn't "afford" kids? Do me a favour. You mean you chose not to have kids. As for buying a home, why didn't you buy one when you were in your early twenties when they were reasonable value?

Tories will end up slashing £100bn off the welfare budget. Houses are falling fast - perfect for you and your peer group to get sprogged up.

Where's the problem? :unsure:

It's mainly the young, aspirational people that like to call themselves "middle class" that are putting off having kids. Everyone else is doing what nature intended ;)

Unemployed, single parents, true middle classes and the nobs are fine. Still having kids.

Having both partners in a relationship working full-time, 12hrs a day and commuting is not conducive to having children.

And it's not a new phenomenon. In the 90s, I was the first of a group to get married and have a kid whilst still in my 20s. Everybody else planned to wait until their mid-30s. We struggled a little at the start (1 bed rented flat) but it was nothing that couldn't be overcome.

The only reasons for not having kids is that you want your time and money to yourself. Nothing else. :rolleyes: