House Price Crash Forum

Media articles NORTHERN IRELAND Hpc Related

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8520338.stm

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has given a clean bill of health to estate agents in a year-long report into standards in the industry.

OFT report a waste of time :angry:

However it does give us a classic quote

However, Trevor Kent - a former president of the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) - said that the OFT should have introduced minimum standards of competence for those running an estate agency business.

"A poodle clipper today can be an estate agent tomorrow," he said.

:lol::lol:

Do any of you remember the match between Ireland and France - staring Willy Anderson and Jon Pierre Condon?

Jon Pierre Condon stood at 6 foot 5 inches and Willy Anderson stood at 6 foot 6 inches.

The Irish supporters had a banner saying, "Our Willy is bigger than your Condon!"

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm lowering the tone again, sorry :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8538732.stm

A Dungannon couple have been jailed after admitting a tax fraud of more than £4.5m over a 17 year period.

And as with all such cases recently

The Smalls, who at one stage alleged their earnings amounted to less than £30,000 and claimed family tax credits to get by, used their gains to build 20 new homes, including their own 12,000 sq ft mansion.

At one stage their property portfolio, including the houses, unbuilt housing and building land was worth nearly £7m, although it was accepted "these assets are now somewhat less" given the "severe economic downturn".

:lol::lol:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/uk-ireland/glut-of-homes-built-during-bubble-14708905.html

Developers built about 170,000 more homes than were needed during the property bubble, academics have claimed.

The latest study on empty housing has found a total of 345,000 homes - 17% of all housing - are lying vacant.

Figures for the South , anyone know if the same sort of percentages apply in Northern Ireland ?

I'm getting very worried about the BT , think it's time they got Helen back for a bit of price ramping ;)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/uk-ireland/glut-of-homes-built-during-bubble-14708905.html

Figures for the South , anyone know if the same sort of percentages apply in Northern Ireland ?

I'm getting very worried about the BT , think it's time they got Helen back for a bit of price ramping ;)

In ROI they were building 80,000 to 100,000 pa for a population of around 4m Ratio 1 house for every 50 people.

In NI we were building around 12,000 new houses for a pop of around 1.7 m Ratio 1 house for aprox every 150 people.

In the UK they were building 150,000 new houses pa for aprox 60m pop. Ratio = 1 house for every 400 people.

It is always stated that the UK has a severe under supply of new housing. And 12,000 was probably too much for us. We were at 8,000 and I believe we will return to that. As for the ROI its just madness.

The irish govenment made a conscious decision in the early noughties to base its economy on the construction industry and offered a lot of incentives for builders and investors to produce and consume. It seems to have been an incredibly foolish economic policy and I wonder, at the time, what their advisors told them might happen.

Nice headline

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8556942.stm

Ni house prices still falling

I wonder if the BBC or UTV will have this during their 6 o'clock news? :rolleyes: I dobut it!

The NI BBC website reported yesterday (as you already know) that the NI "economy" is a right mess. However no mention of this story on 6 o'clock Newsline.

I still cant understand why people are expecting to get boom year prices for their house. In my area the asking prices are beyond a joke. No wonder the houses are still up for sale.

Whta will it take for these people to realise?

I wonder if the BBC or UTV will have this during their 6 o'clock news? :rolleyes: I dobut it!

The NI BBC website reported yesterday (as you already know) that the NI "economy" is a right mess. However no mention of this story on 6 o'clock Newsline.

I still cant understand why people are expecting to get boom year prices for their house. In my area the asking prices are beyond a joke. No wonder the houses are still up for sale.

Whta will it take for these people to realise?

The sad thing is most people believe what they read, for example driving through Lisburn yesterday I saw a poster on a building site stating that "house prices are on the up" . Now I obviously laughed out loud but some fool may actually buy one of the houses on this site based on this cheery poster.

The sad thing is most people believe what they read, for example driving through Lisburn yesterday I saw a poster on a building site stating that "house prices are on the up" . Now I obviously laughed out loud but some fool may actually buy one of the houses on this site based on this cheery poster.

I have been thinking about this recently. Positive stories from the media seems to have helped persuade more people to put their houses on the market. Over the last 2 weeks there have been many properties added to BT9, some may be due to the time of year, with very little going sale agreed.

Hopefully the next step down will be facilitated by a larger supply, helped by positive media stories.

Edited by mrcrabs

You are correct. As long as the new houses coming on the market are reasonably priced then the ones who have been holding on will have to lower their prices to compete. However if agents price the new houses up to match existing stock then we are at a standstill again.

I have also noticed 3 more re-possessions this week past on Propertypal in different areas.

So can it be said that "positive"/ramping media stories are actually helpful for those wishing to buy.

Nice headline

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8556942.stm

Ni house prices still falling

Intresting headline when the figures inside state:

"In terms of prices, 60% reported that they have remained the same over the past three months, with 5% saying they had risen and 36% reporting a downturn."

The majority saying they are staying the same. In saying that I expected the prices to fall over the winter months.

yeah I suppose it seems fair enough but she didn't even mention the 30th month mark yet she mentioned RICS in her report. It's a major thing now to inform people of what's happening and she didn't mention it...

Did anyone see Jamie Delarkys report on UTV Live on tuesday?

It concerned the housing market and in it they asked a FTB what they thought of the market. "I think its reached the bottom because the recession is over"

Either she is thick as two short planks or it was staged :rolleyes:

Jamie never once said prices were still falling. Niether did the two EA he interviewed. Although you could see the pain on the EA faces.

What is it with the media and their reluctance to amdit prices are falling? Why do they see high prices as a good thing?

What is it with the media and their reluctance to amdit prices are falling? Why do they see high prices as a good thing?

I have the impression they believe most of their viewers belong to the property-owning class, and they tailor their reports towards them - the blue rinse brigade tuning in to hear the latest about the wealth accumulator they live in and to hear a joke from Frank 'isn't he lovely' Mitchell. Can't beat the high standards of regional television. And we all remember the breathless joy with which they reported the disgusting 2007 price orgy - I believe that was the official Northern Ireland Year of the Pig.

Probably also looking towards their own portfolios - let's face it; anyone who has been working within the NI broadcast media for the past 20 years has been on a pig's back when it comes to wages, pensions etc, and I'm sure they're well-represented in the property market.