House Price Crash Forum

Online Banking- Computer Says No!

Ron Forthehills

HOLA441

I have had a number of online accounts with ING, and have operated them with no difficulty over three years.

Today, motivated by low returns ( letter in post today) I decided to move some funds around, and attempted to log in. Three times it

rejected my login details, and then locked up the account, saying phone the call-centre. After much waiting and holding (0845-more money for them) I finally spoke

to an operative, who has allegedly arranged for a new PIN to be mailed to me. She also gave a promotional pitch for other slightly better offers, to try to keep me on board.

Suspicious, maybe paranoid, I have to wonder if they are putting obstacles in the way to prevent a further exodus of funds

''The uSwitch survey shows that 4.3 million savers are planning on withdrawing money from their accounts, losing the advantage of the tax-free status. The research suggests that, with the average cash ISA saver having a balance of £2,200, savers are set to withdraw £9.5 billion over the next year'' Telegraph.co.uk

Depending on circumstances, many savers might need/want to get funds in a hurry, and it might be worth checking that all systems are working as they should.

HOLA442

I've just gone into my ING account to check it out and got in no problem at all. I will have to say though that of all my internet accounts (I have a lot for my STR fund) ING is the hardest to get into and the easiest to make mistakes when logging on. Don't get too paranoid just yet...... :ph34r:

Edited: O845 number are now or soon will be "free" if you have inclusive call packages with BT.

Edited by inbetween

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I moved all my cash from ING a couple of days ago without issues. Screw them and their 1.5% (or whatever it is now). I'll shove it in Premium bonds instead.

Funny I have just started putting money in premium bonds too. Partly due to not wanting to tie up money beyond February 2010 and motivated by the low interest rates.

HOLA446
Funny I have just started putting money in premium bonds too. Partly due to not wanting to tie up money beyond February 2010 and motivated by the low interest rates.

I reckon my premium bonds have outperformed my savings accounts. Since it's become apparent that the banking system ran as a big lottery premium bonds seem as good as anything not yellow.