House Price Crash Forum

Even Eas Admit Falls

Frank Hovis

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/homepagene...il/article.html

Seaside towns feel housing pinch

But figures compiled by property research company Hometrack reveal even the most desirable locations in the South West are feeling the chill winds of the recession.

Newquay in Cornwall reported just 20 sales at a total value of £4.2 million – down considerably from the previous year's 98 at £22.7 million.

Property professionals admit that the coastal market "is not immune" from the vagaries of the recession.

Click here!

Prices have dropped by between 10 and 25 per cent from peak to trough, they say

They then go on to desperately try to talk it up, but at least they've moved away from the denial phase. That nonsense that nice places can go up a lot but never down is not being trotted out any more.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/homepagene...il/article.html

Seaside towns feel housing pinch

But figures compiled by property research company Hometrack reveal even the most desirable locations in the South West are feeling the chill winds of the recession.

Newquay in Cornwall reported just 20 sales at a total value of £4.2 million – down considerably from the previous year's 98 at £22.7 million.

Property professionals admit that the coastal market "is not immune" from the vagaries of the recession.

Click here!

Prices have dropped by between 10 and 25 per cent from peak to trough, they say

They then go on to desperately try to talk it up, but at least they've moved away from the denial phase. That nonsense that nice places can go up a lot but never down is not being trotted out any more.

A good find, and good to read.

However, Newquay is nice?

Nice beaches and surrounding coast, yes. As for the rest, it's a matter of taste.

I guess this year the low pound will mean even more stag dos being held there instead of Prague and Riga etc. It'll please the bar owners anyway.

Nice beaches and surrounding coast, yes. As for the rest, it's a matter of taste.

I guess this year the low pound will mean even more stag dos being held there instead of Prague and Riga etc. It'll please the bar owners anyway.

Newquay is nice if you get away from the very small centre of the town where the bars and strip joints are.

IMHO the most over-rated place in Cornwall is Padstow. It used to be really nice but now it just gets swamped all the time by day-trippers and it's not really big enough for that. Also the geography means most people now live miles up a steep hill away from the harbour. Ok in small doses but I wouldn't want to live there.

I thought the town was supposed to be cleaning up its act by shunning these sleazy stag and hen dos?? They are not doing the town any favours IMHO.

Newquay is nice if you get away from the very small centre of the town where the bars and strip joints are.

IMHO the most over-rated place in Cornwall is Padstow. It used to be really nice but now it just gets swamped all the time by day-trippers and it's not really big enough for that. Also the geography means most people now live miles up a steep hill away from the harbour. Ok in small doses but I wouldn't want to live there.

Yes agree about Padstow totally. What on earth has happened to it? Used to be a lovely little fishing village. Not anymore. Just rubbish, fish and chip papers and a vicious gang of seagulls s****g everywhere. The buildings need to a good paint job too. Falmouth has a similar problem.

Went to Newquay last summer - the hotel was grotty and the weather was sh1te... I have been to a worse hotel in Blackpoool ....

The Canaries have better weather :-)

Pero Newquay no tiene una problema con las cacharachas...

I saw a documentary, last year I think, about people paying insane, astronomical figures for properties in Rock, just across from Padstow.

What's the market like there, I wonder?

I reckon Rock is a fashion thing - a bit like Sandbanks. People are suddenly waking up to things. I mean, for £2million, I would want facilities, not just a seaview. Grew up with living on a clifftop. Been there, done that.

Went to Newquay last summer - the hotel was grotty and the weather was sh1te... I have been to a worse hotel in Blackpoool ....

The Canaries have better weather :-)

Pero Newquay no tiene una problema con las cacharachas...

I never recommend it as a holiday destination, nor would I recommend Perranporth or St Agnes.

If you want a sun-heat-beach-beer holiday go to the Med or, as you say, the Canaries. Ditto if you want a second home. Why bother with Cornwall?

If you want somewhere nice to live then Newquay, Perranporth & St Agnes are all great.

Agree that Rock, like Sandbanks, is nothing special. Both have acquired a momentum of their own because of previous ludicrous sums paid for houses at both. They seem to work on the grounds that if it's expensive it must be good. A similar paradigm seems to apply to modern "art".

Both places are fine (well Rock is, and I presume Sandbanks is also) but there are plenty of other equally nice places where you can buy somewhere for a fraction of the price. The biggest bubbles make the loudest pops.

I never recommend it as a holiday destination, nor would I recommend Perranporth or St Agnes.

If you want a sun-heat-beach-beer holiday go to the Med or, as you say, the Canaries. Ditto if you want a second home. Why bother with Cornwall?

If you want somewhere nice to live then Newquay, Perranporth & St Agnes are all great.

Agree that Rock, like Sandbanks, is nothing special. Both have acquired a momentum of their own because of previous ludicrous sums paid for houses at both. They seem to work on the grounds that if it's expensive it must be good. A similar paradigm seems to apply to modern "art".

Both places are fine (well Rock is, and I presume Sandbanks is also) but there are plenty of other equally nice places where you can buy somewhere for a fraction of the price. The biggest bubbles make the loudest pops.

Ever heard of perceived value? It actually does work because people are so naive.