House Price Crash Forum

Shameless Spin By The Bbc

quite unjustly got rid of one highly talented journalist, a director general and several other key staff for no other reason than a capitulation to an entire fraudulent enquiry which whitewashed a very important issue of national significance.

Greg Dyke was actually one of the most popular DGs there were at the BBC - many staff picketed to get him reinstated - would you normally do that for your bosses' boss?

I saw that quite quite blatant. Especially about "buying in perceived falling market" What ********. If this isn't a falling market what is? Also loads of guff about first time buyers. Well I'll tell you what I'm a first time buyer. I'm 35 years old and through a combination of extreme prudence and the unfortunate passing of my father I could buy two ******ing houses. I'm 35 years old and not on the "ladder" because no one could give a ****** as salary averages passed 3 then 4 then 5 then 6 then 7 ......... The Government spouted the line that it was O.K because I could go IO or get a longer term and pay 55% of my take home pay for the pleasure of buying an estate home that had increased 130% in price and probably declined 20% in relative quality. After all I'd be a billionaire when I retired because house prices only ever go up. Furthermore I could buy one house and then use the equity in this house to secure finance on another house thereby ensuring that he ladder was pulled up behind me ho! ho! indeed.

Well I tell you what Gordon Brown and the BBC. ****** you and the horse you rode in on.

Nice one.

I think it'll get interesting when more stories come out about who in the government/media has their own BTL portfolios, like they've just found out about alastair.

I mean it's one thing getting caught in a ponzi scheme, it's another when you find out that your own government got stuck in a few levels above you!

concur - I thought the triumphant tone reflected the likely BTL interests of the BBC spivs.

On R4 Today this morning (in connection with NR lending) I heard a presenter quite clearly ask whoever she was interviewing whether encouraging people to buy now was a good thing since '...there's a good deal of evidence that prices have further to fall.'

Not precise words since I can't remember exactly, but more or less.

Certainly no 'triumphant spiv-ism' there.

Assuming that because Mr Broon says 100% mortgages are bad mkay, that 90% will be the highest offered.

How pessimistic will that 90% be?

90% of where we think it'll fall to?

90% of what it would cost to rebuild?

90% of what we think it's worth right now?

90% of the advertised price?

Or 90% of the price that we were told, and ignoring the 10% cashback offer the developer had :ph34r:

The thing is, a free press is biased, offering multiple viewpoints. We all know what the BBC stands for.

Whats criminal about the BBC is the way its funded and how it masquerades as impartial. Its just the same as Fox's 'fair and balanced' BS.

If your talking about Fox news its a well known centre-right broadcaster. A counter to the liberal bias to CNN, CBS etc.

If we do keep the BBC in this country we should invite Fox over as well, and then you get to choose which bias you pay for with your license.

Having said that, if I came to power I would immediately have the BBC taken off air.

I'd like to make clear that I have never considered that the BBC is particularly biased against one PARTY or another, it is merely sycophantic to whoever is in power and more so since the Kelly affair, after which the BBC threw in the towel and quite unjustly got rid of one highly talented journalist, a director general and several other key staff for no other reason than a capitulation to an entire fraudulent enquiry which whitewashed a very important issue of national significance.

The BBC itself must bear the responsibility for capitulating in such a pathetic manner and since then, and especially in the light of the financial meltdown, I simply do not believe a single word it says about banks, building societies, economists or financial "experts". Indeed the BBC has made a career out of inviting ALL of the people on to its news and current affairs programmes who are, by definition, the very same people who CAUSED the exact conditions which resulted in the current meltdown.

If at least the BBC would have sought other less establishment views, the story might have been different. But I want to emphasise that if the Tories were in power now, I have no doubt that the BBC would also be broadcasting government-friendly spin. To suppose this is a party-political issue is to avoid a more important point: The BBC is scared witless and virtually blackmailed into broadcasting establishment information. For that reason it has utterly failed in its remit for a long time, and is no longer the voice of independent or critical thinking. That is not to say that other broadcasters are not the same, they are. But it is reasonable to expect a subscription broadcaster with the BBC's history to have at least some residue left. Sadly that is not the case.

VP

VP,

BBC is to ZanuLabor what Sinn Fein is to the IRA. You must have heard about the revolving door between the two. Even our Home Secretary stays in her (BBC reporter) sisters spare bedroom.

Chairman Gavin Davies (later Labour adviser)

Chairman Sir Michael Lyons (previously Labour council chief)

Director General John Birt (later Labour adviser)

Director General Greg Dyke (previously Labour donor and candidate)

C.O.O Caroline Thomson (previously Roy Jenkin's aide)

Head of Political Research Bill Bush (later Labour spin doctor)

Deputy Head of ditto Catherine Rimmer (later Labour spin doctor)

Director of Strategy Ed Richards (later Labour spin doctor)

Head of Corporate Planning James Purnell (now Labour Minister)

Head of Northern Ireland News Tom Kelly (later Labour spin doctor)

Scottish News Editor Tim Luckhurst (previously lLabour spin doctor)

Political News Editor Joy Johnson (later Labour spin doctor)

Political Editor Andrew Marr (student Labour organiser)

Home News Editor Celia Barlow (now Labour MP)

Head of European Affairs Chris Bryant (now Labour MP)

Newsnight Producer Phil Woolas (now Labour Minister)

Foreign Correspondent Martin Sixsmith (later Labour spin doctor)

Current Affairs Reporter Ben Bradshaw (now Labour Minister)

Current Affairs Reporter Lance Price (later Labour spin doctor)

"Question Time" Editor Gill Penlington (previously Labour researcher)

Many of them actually worked for the Labour party before, after and even during their BBC employment.

There are hundreds more, all in key editorial positions.

Edited by Shoeshine Boy

If your talking about Fox news its a well known centre-right broadcaster. A counter to the liberal bias to CNN, CBS etc.

If we do keep the BBC in this country we should invite Fox over as well, and then you get to choose which bias you pay for with your license.

Having said that, if I came to power I would immediately have the BBC taken off air.

Sky are far more sceptical about the NR business. Murdoch seems to be far more on the case over all this.

Never thought id be saying that.

VP,

BBC is to ZanuLabor what Sinn Fein is to the IRA. You must have heard about the revolving door between the two. Even our Home Secretary stays in her (BBC reporter) sisters spare bedroom.

Chairman Gavin Davies (later Labour adviser)

Chairman Sir Michael Lyons (previously Labour council chief)

Director General John Birt (later Labour adviser)

Director General Greg Dyke (previously Labour donor and candidate)

C.O.O Caroline Thomson (previously Roy Jenkin's aide)

Head of Political Research Bill Bush (later Labour spin doctor)

Deputy Head of ditto Catherine Rimmer (later Labour spin doctor)

Director of Strategy Ed Richards (later Labour spin doctor)

Head of Corporate Planning James Purnell (now Labour Minister)

Head of Northern Ireland News Tom Kelly (later Labour spin doctor)

Scottish News Editor Tim Luckhurst (previously lLabour spin doctor)

Political News Editor Joy Johnson (later Labour spin doctor)

Political Editor Andrew Marr (student Labour organiser)

Home News Editor Celia Barlow (now Labour MP)

Head of European Affairs Chris Bryant (now Labour MP)

Newsnight Producer Phil Woolas (now Labour Minister)

Foreign Correspondent Martin Sixsmith (later Labour spin doctor)

Current Affairs Reporter Ben Bradshaw (now Labour Minister)

Current Affairs Reporter Lance Price (later Labour spin doctor)

"Question Time" Editor Gill Penlington (previously Labour researcher)

Many of them actually worked for the Labour party before, after and even during their BBC employment.

Wow. Thats staggering.

Exactly, it should be like the papers. Viewpoints from the Guardian to the Sun. Everyone knows theyre biased, and theres no problem.

There are quite a few more I can think of, I will post them later.

I take your point but don't you think it's true that left wing people go into journalism anyway, so it's kinda natural for the BBC to be staffed by left wingers? Much that in the same way right wingers go into business.

It's a bit like standing outside a bookies and asking people if they have ever bet.

Anyway, the political leanings should not prevent impartial reporting. I think what we have seen over the last two years has not been impartial myself, but I think that's more to do with the Government putting pressure on the BBC rather than the number of left wingers in the BBC.

On R4 Today this morning (in connection with NR lending) I heard a presenter quite clearly ask whoever she was interviewing whether encouraging people to buy now was a good thing since '...there's a good deal of evidence that prices have further to fall.'

Not precise words since I can't remember exactly, but more or less.

Certainly no 'triumphant spiv-ism' there.

I do apoligise for not listening to the entiure output of the BBC and forming a more broad based opinion

I must have been seeing (and hearing) things heh...

I take your point but don't you think it's true that left wing people go into journalism anyway, so it's kinda natural for the BBC to be staffed by left wingers? Much that in the same way right wingers go into business. It's a bit like standing outside a bookies and asking people if they have ever bet. Anyway, the political leanings should not prevent impartial reporting. I think what we have seen over the last two years has not been impartial myself, but I think that's more to do with the Government putting pressure on the BBC rather than the number of left wingers in the BBC.

The BBC is left wing, but it is also full of very clever people. They know to be careful about how they bias.

The main tool for this is selective presentation of facts. You can radically alter an audiences perception of a story by selectively telling him certain things while not putting forward others.

A class example of this is the Europe debate of around 2000. There were plenty of Labour MP’s who are euro skeptic. But these people were never interviewed, ever. This help build the impression that being euro skeptic was a fringe Tory view only.

Also they constantly framed the debate as being either in or out of Europe. The Tories never were calling for withdraw from Europe. But the BBC could selectively interview people who did believe this, like UKIP, and then suggest that was the terms of discussion.

The reason people often don’t see BBC bias is because they are so skillful at hiding it. But I guarantee once your eyes have been opened to BBC bias, you will see it everywhere.

Again, I strong recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Trust-BBC-Robi...0023&sr=8-1

Chairman Gavin Davies (later Labour adviser) /snip/

Wow. Thats staggering.

As they say in France: incroyable!

We appear to have institutionalised bias.

A case whereby shooting the messenger mightn't be a bad thing.

In the words of michael Winner ,calm down its only an advert.

There is no stopping the crash in the housing market now.

I remember a few months ago my Paramedic friend had his property on the market after being a FTB of it in August 2006. :lol: It cost him £170,000 and is a 2 bed end of terrace in a scanky area with a postage stamp garden. He jokingly asked if I wanted to buy it off him.

"Yeah I'll give you £80k for it."

I was poo-poo'd.

I really meant £50k.