House Price Crash Forum

Beginning Of The End For The Euro

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050604/17/fkeq3.html

A drowning euro – how bad is this for us HPC’ers

A cheaper euro means cheaper imports? And therefore less inflation

Not good for us

Or does it just drag us all into recession with the rest of Europe as they stop buying British goods (if anyone can think of something British that they buy)

A lot of the recent fall in the Euro has also been due to Dollar stength as every currency trade is essentially a two way bet.

Given this Sterling has also fallen against the Dollar significantly recently. As every major commodity is priced in Dollars the cost of all of these and imports from Dollar pegged economies such as China have risen in price. Due to this I think inflation pressure is upwards not downwards from recent moves.

Edited by pelican
A lot of the recent fall in the Euro has also been due to Dollar stength as every currency trade is essentially a two way bet.

Given this Sterling has also fallen against the Dollar significantly recently. As every major commodity is priced in Dollars the cost of all of these and imports from Dollar pegged economies such as China have risen in price. Due to this I think inflation pressure is upwards not downwards from recent moves.

generally agree with your assessment but i would say most of the fall has been as a result of the euro referendum stuff - the euro has fallen vs the £ a bit too

Am I right - if Germany reverts to the "Duecttmarch", something like that, and Italy the Lira, then the whole thing will fall apart. If Ireland is forced to revert, will there be chaos - thier interest rate will rocket and they are on borrowings of 10 times income. Sounds like a bloody nightmare!

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050604/17/fkeq3.html

A drowning euro – how bad is this for us HPC’ers

A cheaper euro means cheaper imports? And therefore less inflation

Not good for us

Or does it just drag us all into recession with the rest of Europe as they stop buying British goods (if anyone can think of something British that they buy)

My own feeling is that our underlying economy is already in a severe recession and this has been masked by the spend fest of the last few years. I suspect we will be in a very bad way soon, and the collapse of the Euro will not help (short term anyway). From the HPC perspective however, we could see some very cheap houses soon.

I know of people who took on larger amounts of borrowing than they usually would have during 2003 becasue they assumed that once they came off their low start mortages , which is coincidently about now, they would have the luxury of Britain being in the common currency and benefit personally from a base rate of 2%! Where does this leave their ideas now? :huh:

My own feeling is that our underlying economy is  already in a severe recession and this has been masked by the spend fest of the last few years. I suspect we will be in a very bad way soon, and the collapse of the Euro will not help (short term anyway). From the HPC perspective however, we could see some very cheap houses soon.

Any debt that would be hard to pay should cause a severe recession

So where will 1.1 trillion leave us.

I try not to look on the down side and hope that things will be ok after the HPC – but I am scared that I will be paying a large chunk of the 1.1 trillion pie while every one else waits it out on unemployment benefit (having money in the bank rules that option out)

It takes about 10 years or so for a currency to bed down and become an accepted part of the world currency basket.

Predictions of the death of the Euro are premature and show some lack of understanding of long term trends.

A good weekend to all.

It takes about 10 years or so for a currency to bed down and become  an accepted part of the world currency basket.

Predictions of the death of the Euro are premature and show some lack of understanding of long term trends. A good weekend to all.

Picnic

I'll give 10 out of 10 for smugness but 0 of 10 for intelligent content.

Edited by dog

I personally would have thought that another 10 years would not make any difference- the pound has been around for ages but it’s hard to imagine what it will be worth if we owed more than we made (not just imports / exports)

Surly the euro will always be worth something as the pound – they just might have to start putting gold back in it

Here's something to think about . . . . . . . .

Since "The Bankers" took over the financial side of things (with guaranteed non-interruption) the general economy of Europe has stagnated or gone into decline - Germany especially is unbelievable due to their industrial/technical expertise.

So Seven years of Stagnation has lead to talk of the downfall of the Euro as countries try to extricate themselves from the awful mess.

Isn't it a 'funny' coincidence that . . . .

a. The Bankers '7yr contract' presiding over years of FRAUD (at The European Central Bank) comes to an end this year! (at the same time the Euro is collapsing).

In November 1998, the Court of Auditors reported that upwards of five billion dollars, equivalent to five percent of the EU's 1997 budget, was either misspent, lost to fraud or could not be accounted for. While the EU claims to be keen on stamping out fraud, the reality seems to be rather different. Paul van Buitenen, a commission auditor in the financial control unit, was so disgusted with attempts to cover up fraud that he compiled a dossier which he sent to the Green Group of the European Parliament. The result was his suspension from his job and a sequence of threatening 'phone calls

b. That BRITAIN takes over running of the European Presidency this year!

The 'Planned Economy' and the 'Third Way'

In order to have a social revolution and manipulate an entire people into a new social order, it is necessary to incite them to the point of activism due to heightened perceptions of threatening issues.  Nuclear holocaust, ecology, feminism, gay rights, abortion, housing, euthanasia, drugs and crime are issues that have become headlines during this process of fomenting revolution.

This manipulation is basic to Marx's Dialectical Materialism where opposing forces are pitted against each other relentlessly until the crisis point where, to avert cataclysm, a preconceived but carefully obscured compromise is enacted and the desired "synthesis" has been achieved, in this case, the Planned Economy and different social order.

In 1948 the Rockefeller Foundation made a four year grant to Harvard University Department of Economics to develop a mathematically-based method for a totally predictable Planned Economy through social engineering techniques.

This program was called Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars technology.  It involves intensive control and manipulation of the masses through media, markets, advertising, labour and wages, and public education.

I would add complete manipulation of Europe and the UK!

In manipulating the EU with stupid immigrant rules, financial corruption etc they are discrediting it - all to cause the 'NON' Reaction from the public.

They will then jump in and offer 'The Third Way'

I am quite sure that we will be offered a "Third Way" in the not-too-distant-future so I am pre-empting the manipulators who seek to implement this!

(I have already seen these words mentioned in this weeks Sunday Times whether intentionally or not!)

The trouble with the Euro, and the EU as a whole, is that politicians are keen to blame it for problems that are actually of their own making. Hans Eichel blames the Euro for Germany's problems, rather than mistakes made during reunification, joining the Euro at the wrong exchange rate, and structural problems with the economy.

There are some very good things about the EU (free trade, freedom to live and work in member states, fundamental human rights), and some bad things (decision making by an unelected commission, the CAP). The trouble is that the debate tends to be very polarised, and, in the case of some newspapers, completely hostile.

Graeme

I'm on the fence on the Euro issue.

There is pros and cons.

At the moment there are more cons than pros, so my vote is a no.

But I think we will now see a marked decline in the Euro currency for a while to come. And a rise in EU IRs by next year.

I was just about to buy something from the Netherlands and get it shipped over here. The fall of the Euro has saved me £50 so far this week.

Have I mist something or what !

The euro has a slight wobble due to the no vote and people start talking about it’s end, get real and wake me up when it drops like the US$ has over the past few years and I’ll listen.

Case you forget the US$ was worth more than a euro not long ago and whilst you can point to Italy who fiddle the books so they could enter the euro, it’s not like that all over Europe.

£1=1eu anyone