House Price Crash Forum

Gm: Staggering Beast

contractor

HOLA441
That's unusual. An American car that actually looks good.

BTW I can never work out how Nissan survived after producing the Figaro, which wasn't so much a car, more a crime against humanity.

Why knock it?...a fun little set of wheels...albeit an anachronism.

Look up the Nissan Escargo for giggle.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
In just over an hour GM and Chrysler will submit their business plans to the US Gov. They then have until the end of March (6 weeks) to follow through.

I reckon one of the 6PM releases will be used to announce Ch.11 proceedings either outright or as best case scenario. Worst case GM will announce SAAB and at least one other brand, maybe Hummer as quick sale items. It's not inconceivable that Opel or Vauxhall may be put up for sale.How the markets will react, who knows?

So far they've not shown much confidence in either GM or Chrysler's ability to deliver a credible rescue plan. Then again, why should they?

they will ask for more cash !!! only when they can't get any more cash will they sell.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Is not the solution that, if no one buys any cars, the manufacturers go out of business. :unsure::blink:

WTF is all this 'needing to stay alive' b0ll0x we keep hearing.

The world would be a better place without GM and all the abominations that it has allowed to roam free over the years. :rolleyes: A waste of raw materials on a grand scale indeed.

HOLA448
HOLA449
As already stated.

47,000 jobcuts announced (21,000 US and 26,000 elsewhere)

There's ZERO coverage of this this morning.

This is massive. What the hell is going on?

I saw it on the BBC news this morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...eks-16.6bn.html

Although the figures aren't up on the BBC website.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Hmm. This doesn't look good. On pages 8/9 they say they are aiming for breakeven based on 20% share of US Volumes of 11.5 to 12M. Yet by their own forecast they have the baseline rate of 10.5 (low=9.5, high=12.0) for 09 so aren't they destined to fail?

In effect they want cash until the market picks up again, and they reckon that will be '10

HOLA4415
Think I read recently that the German regional government (lande?) where Opel are headquartered are in late negotiations to buy Opel. I'd expect they'd then close down Vauxhall unfortunately.

Similarly, isn't the Swedish government looking at buying Saab from GM and/or Volvo from Ford?

It said in one of the papers that Saab will go bust in 10 days and the Swedish government has refused to rescue them.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Look up the Nissan Escargo for giggle.

French for 'snail' (OK, missing the t, but it makes no difference to the pronunciation). I bet those'll sell well across the Channel!

I seem to remember that either Renault or Citroen once made a car, specifically designed for export to developing countries, the name of which, when pronounced, meant 'vagina' in Hindi. Can't remember which one, though, sadly.

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri