House Price Crash Forum

For anybody who still believes that employment has never been so good think again. Still more job losses along the South of England. As with Rover in the Midlands these aren't high attrition jobs, for many these have been life long careers, good places to get into if you could.

These are companies that have made it through previous recessions etc starting to bail out. These workers will not find like for like jobs.

Low unemployment?, ...No,just ENRON accounting......!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4605703.stm

Edited by Reductio ad absurdum

I am afraid one hit pulls the whole net out... Manufacturing loses xx,000 jobs. That's not all the story. We forgot to add....

Outside services, outsourced technicians, a/c servicemen, catering, company car fleet, car mechanics, security, cleaners, lawnmowers, office supplies people, drinking water delivery, energy company personnel, local tax guys, hairdressers, corner shop owner, EAs, etc, etc, etc, etc

It is a snowball...

Edited by refusnik
Serves them right for dealing in death

If nobody smoked in this country where would the extra tax come from...youv'e got it... from yourselves!...and before you go quoting all that tosh about cost to the National Health service..it doesn't add up!!...and if smokers didn't die young there would be even less of a pension waiting for you than there is now.

Arguments that say don't give smokers health treatment is crap...whats next don't

give skiers treatment for broken bones because they know the risks before hand? You could keep on going couldn't you.

You probably own a car don't you..doesn't bother you polluting other peoples lungs and the environment though does it? What about people who don't drive, passive driving now theres one that hasn't been taken to the courts yet!

How about the Armed Forces, why don't we just go ahead and lay all them off?..Serve them right...well they deal in death don't they?

Quite frankly I'm not interested in your opinions in smoking or not, sadly your missing the point.....wasn't quite the the response I was planning on but quite frankly after that reply I don't give a damn.

Anyway thank you refusnik for a very intelligent and thought out response at least some one else can see the bigger picture.....

If nobody smoked in this country where would the extra tax come from...youv'e got it... from yourselves!...and before you go quoting all that tosh about cost to the National Health service..it doesn't add up!!...and if smokers didn't die young there would be even less of a pension waiting for you than there is now.

cars too - if any government ever got everyone out of their cars the tax system would be screwed - funny how they keep raising taxes to get people out of their cars but are still so keen to support motor manufacturers - their ideal situation would be for us all to keep buying cars and petrol but never use them and jump on public transport instead

Oh the Irony of the mad modern world is spelt out in this thread !

Highly addictive products that kill us directly or indirectly (as a passive smoker or unlucky cyclist / pedestrian). that we rely on to stop us having massive tax increases.

Its crazy like the movie 'Brazil'.

They keep the population down mind, & getting back on topic losing theirr job will give them more time to smoke & drive for a while on the redundancy cutting our taxes :)

cars too - if any government ever got everyone out of their cars the tax system would be screwed - funny how they keep raising taxes to get people out of their cars but are still so keen to support motor manufacturers - their ideal situation would be for us all to keep buying cars and petrol but never use them and jump on public transport instead

Gordon don't get no more of my money, he had his chance and we voted with our feet.

The worrying thing is it has a knock on effect.

I hadnt seen this story till just now on this threed,

I work for my fathers company, we deal with Export / Imports between the UK and CIS/Baltic States.

One of our biggest clients is BAT :(

I'm sorry for the people losing their jobs, but I'm not sorry that BAT is having trouble keeping all their DEATH factories open.

I'm glad that BAR was found guilty of cheating.

BAT is an evil, evil company, they make Microsoft look like angels.

With policies like going to poor african countries and handing out free cigerattes in order to encourage addiction and give themselves a new marketplace, is more than underhanded capitlistic business practises, its downright evil!

Yep let’s just open the closed asbestos factories again – you think that the money made from selling death is worth it (the woman in court trying to get compensation for her dead husband will be happy to know that to health care was good because of smoking)

There is no place for companies that deal in death in this world but they exist all the same – you yourself probably sell drugs or slaughter seals for a living and therefore think it’s ok to sell something that will kill just because the money’s good

The worrying thing is it has a knock on effect.

I hadnt seen this story till just now on this threed,

I work for my fathers company, we deal with Export / Imports between the UK and CIS/Baltic States.

One of our biggest clients is BAT :(

ExeC:

Sorry to here that ExeC, coupled with today's headlines on service sector jobs it shows the way things are starting to unfold. The recession is no longer due it has already arrived.

Look To The Past:

Get of THe thread! If you want to preach moralistic values go and join the Green Peace forum. But before you do:

No I don't sell drugs nor club seals to death, pretty stupid response realy wasn't it...for any body that wants to club seals to death there is an excursion trip leaves Portsmouth Habour every Monday and Thursday.....as if!

The sad fact of life is that directly or indirectly we are all involved in one shape or form, in the mad way this world is run, Saving for a Spaceship could see this pretty much spot on.

From the use of microsoft technolagy, to the recycled components in your electronic equipment (recycled by hand from radio active junk heaps in third world countries). The brand name clothes on your back from some Chinese sweatshop. The gold, diamonds and jewels you wear on your person from some death mine also in the third world. The food we grow and eat so heavily contaminated in pecticides and additives and newly discovered carcinogenic compounds.

Like it or not we all have blood on our hands, I don't like it but thats the sad fact of life. I for one would love to live in a utopian society but we are human and our very nature will ensure that will never happen. Survival of the fittest has been replaced with survival of the richest.

Before you go on a moralistic crusade first look closer to home. You probably use the supermakets Tesco's/Sainsbury's/Asda Etc..they all sell tabacco, food with additives cheap clothes, are you activly boycoting them?....no I didn't think so.

I'm not a religious man but if I were I would be very tempted to quote:

"Let him with out sin cast the first stone"

Please remember this is supposed to be the HPC forum, intelligble replies in the context of job losses/house prices/recession only please...lets get back on track.

Edited by Reductio ad absurdum
If nobody smoked in this country where would the extra tax come from...youv'e got it... from yourselves!...

If nobody smoked in this country we wouldnt NEED the extra tax for the NHS.

Dames

Declaring interest - Ex-smoker.

Blimey, a few minutes googling BAT:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/bat/article/0,2763,349602,00.html

http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=253163

http://news.tobaccofreekids.org/sa/news/su...,551324,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/864026.stm

And finally, not content with just adults smoking the things, they want the kiddies to smoke too:

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/comm...55E1702,00.html

Just two minutes on Google :(

What a sordid industry...

ExeC:

"Let him with out sin cast the first stone"

If you wanted to keep on track you should not of responded to

“Serves them right for dealing in death”

For someone who wants to talk only about HPC you certainly rant

HPC – more jobs gone – more jobs created elsewhere – nothing unusual about that.

I didn’t hear after the last recession 1100 jobs created – this must mean there is going to be a massive increase in HPI.

I do believe that between jobs loses and the BLT brigade bailing out will bring about this HPC but how many jobs do we need to lose (i.e. what was the unemployed total at the end of the last recession)

I have no idea , but you mentioned it first so why not ask yourself.

Dames  :blink:

Do you know what is realy sad....is many people who claim to use this website for the purpose of talking about the housing market (though not all) are complete hippocrites....

For anybody that has read George Orwells 'Animal Farm' will know what I mean. Many are embittered by the fact that they missed the boat and not about the social implications that over priced housing has had.

I feel all to afraid that too many people will not learn the leasons that have unfolded in the past and that are unfolding at present. In a few years from now these will be the very people who after forcing the farmers out of the farm will do exactly the same and become the 'pigs in charge'...

I have made up my mind that this is going to be my last post, I have suddenly become very dispondent with this forum. Good luck to those who have a genuine point to put forward, to hell with the rest of the hecklers.....reply what you will...I won't be reading..... :angry:

Good I am pleased you have done your last post

It has saved me putting you on ignore (my first one)

I think if you look at your posts you will see that you are the heckler

Although as you are a hippocrite hope you enjoy reading this post

Who here thinks that RECTAL ad absurdum is one of the sacked death stick makers

Edited by look to the past

May be he works for BAT.

On a more serious note, the place in my area. The employees have been on a very good wack and for a long time. The outside world will shock them. Many will have mortgages on the quality houses in the area. I think most are actually unskilled though and will not be able to get similar earning occupations so it will work through to that section of the local housing market.

May be he works for BAT.

On a more serious note, the place in my area.  The employees have been on a very good wack and for a long time.  The outside world will shock them.  Many will have mortgages on the quality houses in the area.  I think most are actually unskilled though and will not be able to get similar earning occupations so it will work through to that section of the local housing market.

Still don’t know if these are major problems, I was looking at the hometrack report to see if the rover collapse was making a dent.

I thought that it would have taken an immediate 10% hit. But I guess if the properties are not selling then we won’t see it.

I did expect to see it in the rightmove report though