House Price Crash Forum

Isn't It Time They Had A Property Auction In North East Scotland?

Democorruptcy

That's a provocative statement. Care to elaborate?

Nothing provocative meant. It is just that having spent a few years in the Met I can't afford to move back home if I go to work for Grampian Police(or Northern Constabulary). I live in a dodgy part of London and our area has seen the bottom fall out of the market. North East esp coastal villages and towns have gone through the roof St Combs,Inverallochy etc.

I dunno whether you are right Hamish or whether your good buddy McGlashan but all I want is for the prices to drop so I can get a nice house. nothing more, nothing less.

Nothing provocative meant. It is just that having spent a few years in the Met I can't afford to move back home if I go to work for Grampian Police(or Northern Constabulary). I live in a dodgy part of London and our area has seen the bottom fall out of the market. North East esp coastal villages and towns have gone through the roof St Combs,Inverallochy etc.

I dunno whether you are right Hamish or whether your good buddy McGlashan but all I want is for the prices to drop so I can get a nice house. nothing more, nothing less.

Fair enough.

Although I'd expect you could still find similarly or better priced houses in at least some of the less affluent areas in the N.E. too......

Fair enough.

Although I'd expect you could still find similarly or better priced houses in at least some of the less affluent areas in the N.E. too......

Possibly. Although I believe that the commuting tendency has gone up significantly so as to result in areas such as Fraserburgh and surrounding villages being treated as possible residences for the oilies. When I grew up no-one from Buchan area worked in offices in Aberdeen (lots of rig workers though) and virtually everyone worked in fishing. The office commuters lived up to Ellon hence prices dropped off once you got past there. Whilst this still happens I think it is a lot less than before.

If I was to get a job in GramPol as PC c 24k mortgage 84k. naturally dependent on what happens on a London property but I dont reckon on getting much in equity.

It is good that the area is getting richer but sad for me that my Homecoming is getting further into the future.

PS where in an area of 1.2% unemployment is less affluent?

PS where in an area of 1.2% unemployment is less affluent?

Well, theres the obvious areas within Aberdeen proper, where there are heaps of either small 1 bed flats in quite decent areas for that price, or bigger 2-3 bed flats in less nice ex-council estates.

But putting that aside, and going for something nicer but a bit further out except to the South instead of North, theres often enough little houses or cottages coming up for that sort of money in quite nice areas like Edzell, Inverbervie, Gourdon, Johnshaven, etc. Yes, it's a 30-45 minute drive from the city centre, but it's a much easier drive than coming from the North due to the dual carriageway. I did it every day for years, with no hassle. As a Police officer, I'd imagine you'd also be working a lot of shifts that would let you avoid the rush hour traffic, which would make the commuting time even shorter. It's also possible you may be based somewhere like Stonehaven, so the drive would be mere minutes.

Here are a couple of examples, but they come up often.

http://www-q.aspc.co.uk/cgi-bin/public/Liv...MAINLLF#picture

As for the North, there are also plenty of wee 1/2 bed houses up there in nice enough towns for around the same money......

Of course, it you're willing to live in a flat, then very nice 2 and 3 bed flats, often with gardens, are plentiful for between 70K to 90K in both the southern commuter towns and the northern commuter towns. With 1 beds starting at 50K.

And if you're in a long term relationship/married, with an OH that works, or have built up some amount of equity in a starter property, then your budget increases greatly, which opens up loads of 3 bed semi's and even a few 4 bed detached.....

I get what you're saying about a low income, and that cheaper houses would be nice, but I don't see how on earth you can get comparable properties in London for that money in anything but the scummiest of ghetto areas, and maybe not even then. By comparison, the properties at affordable prices up here are usually at least in nice, low crime areas, with lovely scenery and countryside never more than a few minutes away, and sometimes right on your doorstep, and with a shop/pub etc within a few minutes walk in most cases.

Am I missing something? How is it that the N.E. is not far less expensive than London for comparably nice properties?

Well, theres the obvious areas within Aberdeen proper, where there are heaps of either small 1 bed flats in quite decent areas for that price, or bigger 2-3 bed flats in less nice ex-council estates.

<post edited>

And if you're in a long term relationship/married, with an OH that works, or have built up some amount of equity in a starter property, then your budget increases greatly, which opens up loads of 3 bed semi's and even a few 4 bed detached.....

- see below.....

<end edit>

I get what you're saying about a low income, and that cheaper houses would be nice, but I don't see how on earth you can get comparable properties in London for that money in anything but the scummiest of ghetto areas, and maybe not even then. By comparison, the properties at affordable prices up here are usually at least in nice, low crime areas, with lovely scenery and countryside never more than a few minutes away, and sometimes right on your doorstep, and with a shop/pub etc within a few minutes walk in most cases.

Am I missing something? How is it that the N.E. is not far less expensive than London for comparably nice properties?

Thanks.

The N.E is much cheaper but I DO live in a ghetto scummy area (which my wife assures me wasn't too bad when she grew up). I am one of those fools who learnt the lesson regarding house prices too late, paid too much and am watching any equity I could have bought up north float out the window.... no sympathy sought or needed. Hopefully housing comes down to an affordable level so my kids can have something similar to the childhood I had.

I never really wanted to live in Aberdeen and the main tie for the Fraserburgh/Peterhead area is family so south of aberdeen not really a runner unless it got really expensive up in Buchan. BTW When are they going to do something about the northern road in. Surely in one of the most economically important areas of the UK, never mind Scotland, either a new road in or re-open rail north of Dyce to the coast. It is crazy that one of the most important wealth generating areas of the country has no rail and very poor roads.

BTW When are they going to do something about the northern road in. Surely in one of the most economically important areas of the UK, never mind Scotland, either a new road in or re-open rail north of Dyce to the coast. It is crazy that one of the most important wealth generating areas of the country has no rail and very poor roads.

It is indeed crazy. The traffic and congestion to the north is ridiculous. Commuting in from the North is a disaster, and I don't think that road could actually handle any more traffic which has to be some kind of limit on further growth up there. Unfortunately improvements are not on the agenda at the moment, althought the bypass will shake things up in the housing market.

As it stands just now, commuting from the South is easy, quick and cheap, so long as you don't need to go further than the city centre, but getting to the north of the city or airport from the south is a nightmare.

As I see it, the bypass will open up the Airport industrial estate areas to Southern residents, so I would expect prices in Stonehaven and the southern coastal villages to increase massively, and possibly prices to the North will drop a bit as a result.

Might be a good thing for you?

It is indeed crazy. The traffic and congestion to the north is ridiculous. Commuting in from the North is a disaster, and I don't think that road could actually handle any more traffic which has to be some kind of limit on further growth up there. Unfortunately improvements are not on the agenda at the moment, althought the bypass will shake things up in the housing market.

As it stands just now, commuting from the South is easy, quick and cheap, so long as you don't need to go further than the city centre, but getting to the north of the city or airport from the south is a nightmare.

As I see it, the bypass will open up the Airport industrial estate areas to Southern residents, so I would expect prices in Stonehaven and the southern coastal villages to increase massively, and possibly prices to the North will drop a bit as a result.

Might be a good thing for you?

Lets hope so.....although I still think that an area that has the number 1 white fish port in Europe(PHD), number 1 shellfish port in Europe(FR) and the oil capital of the UK is shockingly served for transport.