House Price Crash Forum

Chav Free Areas In Basingstoke

bjg002

More pertinently any Chav free areas in the UK?

Chineham is reasonably free from Chavs. But look out for the social housing element on the new developments. One of the factors that helps is responsive policing from the local beat bobbies.

Are there any plannned or developed Council Estates anywhere near Chineham?

You will experience 'chavs' and anti-social behaviour wherever you go in Basingstoke, though some areas are better than others.

Chineham/Lychpit/Hatch Warren/Kempshott are all mostly nice enough but there will be exceptions.

Avoid Brighton Hill/Oakridge/Popley/Winklebury/ any of the predominantly council housing areas. Popley and Brighton Hill worst areas from my experience growing up around there, and I've seen nothing to change my opinion of that the times I have been back!

Also beware the encroachment of Basingstoke into the surrounding villages. Bramley now has it's local gang of thugs/vandals wrecking the place regularly, and some estate agents now have the gall to market some Popley properties as Sherborne St. John.

• 1 month later...
You will experience 'chavs' and anti-social behaviour wherever you go in Basingstoke, though some areas are better than others.

Chineham/Lychpit/Hatch Warren/Kempshott are all mostly nice enough but there will be exceptions.

Avoid Brighton Hill/Oakridge/Popley/Winklebury/ any of the predominantly council housing areas. Popley and Brighton Hill worst areas from my experience growing up around there, and I've seen nothing to change my opinion of that the times I have been back!

Also beware the encroachment of Basingstoke into the surrounding villages. Bramley now has it's local gang of thugs/vandals wrecking the place regularly, and some estate agents now have the gall to market some Popley properties as Sherborne St. John.

How about South ham?

Is it a good place for a young family?

I moved in millennium court with my fiancee about three months ago and the area is not that bad. It's by Morrisson's. The other night we heard some chavs in the middle of the night having "fun" in the park (smashing trolleys form morrisson's or something) but otherwise it's ok. and the station is only 10-12 min away. I really like the converted houses where the Brookvale school used to be. Their price is about £250,000 but obviously if they were in Kempshott they'd cost over £300,000..

Edited by johnb

• 1 month later...
old hatch warren by the portsmouith arms?

if so its a nice quiet area

may also want to try mathias walk,ellington drive in brighton hill as it backs onto there

Hi Thanks for your response.

Well, this is a bit further north-east parallel to M3 (Stravinsky road be precise - RG22 4NA post code).

Cheers,

H2O

Edited by H2O

• 4 weeks later...

Just to widen the topic a bit - is there really anywhere in the UK that is really chav free...apart from small very wealthy pockets?

Seems to me that we are a nation of chavs. I can't work out if it was always like this, whether it's got worse, whether I've just got old and grumpy or if I'm just a complete snob (OK I know I'm a snob!).

• 2 months later...
Hi Thanks for your response.

Well, this is a bit further north-east parallel to M3 (Stravinsky road be precise - RG22 4NA post code).

Cheers,

H2O

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from growing up in Basingstoke I think Brighton Hill was built, then Hatch Warren, and then this bit next to the motorway. And I think the phrase "Old Hatch Warren" has been made up by estate agents because "New Brighton Hill" will not sound so good ??

• 1 month later...