House Price Crash Forum

Prices sliding fast in Dulwich...

The crap spewed from EAs etc that certain areas are protected from a crash because of good schools, transport etc is such total drivel. Prices will drop back in proportion to how much they increased, unless there have been specific changes in the local area to justify a higher price. Simply being "in a nice area" doesn't really cut it. There are lots of "nice areas". These areas will fall - maybe at a later date than the less salubrious areas, but fall they will.

Van I agree with your post. What no-one ever mentions when banging on about "nice areas" holding up is that all prices are relative - if prices fall nearby sooner or later people will notice that a gap has opened up - which does not reflect the difference in quality of houses - and this starts to drag on the price of the "nice houses".

zzg113 - not sure what your point is, of course I don't believe a word EAs say though I am capable of forming my own view regardless of what they say (I don't just automatically believe the opposite). I think the fact that I STR'd in March this year supports this. South London is a matter of taste, I have lived here for 15 yrs and wouldn't move north of the river even though I could afford to.

Van I agree with your post.  What no-one ever mentions when banging on about "nice areas" holding up is that all prices are relative - if prices fall nearby sooner or later people will notice that a gap has opened up - which does not reflect the difference in quality of houses - and this starts to drag on the price of the "nice houses".

zzg113 - not sure what your point is, of course I don't believe a word EAs say though I am capable of forming my own view regardless of what they say (I don't just automatically believe the opposite).  I think the fact that I STR'd in March this year supports this.  South London is a matter of taste, I have lived here for 15 yrs and wouldn't move north of the river even though I could afford to.

whats the best part of london to live in then? I mean dulwich is it crap, whats north er islington? excuse my ignorance bu I'd really like your opinions - I mean use richmond an twickers as a comparison cos I lived there once.

whats the best part of london to live in then? I mean dulwich is it crap, whats north er islington? excuse my ignorance bu I'd really like your opinions - I mean use richmond an twickers as a comparison cos I  lived there once.

Hampstead Heath, no question. Nice like Richmond but central too.

course 'where's a nice place to live' brings the Q - well what are you looking for? Going out with mates every night or bringing up rugrats?

Hampstead Heath, no question.  Nice like Richmond but central too.

course 'where's a nice place to live' brings the Q - well what are you looking for?  Going out with mates every night or bringing up rugrats?

London is a very big place. Some of the areas Generally the W and SW are nice, so Richmond, Barnes, Putney, Roehampton etc. Lots of parts of the N/NW are great - Hampstead, Highgate, Finchley, St John's Wood.

Try to avoid the SE with a few noticeable exceptions like Blackheath & Greenwich, and definitely avoid anything with an "E" postcode if at all possible.

Of course, the go out far enough, say, zone 4, and you get start getting into suburbia of the home counties, while still being able to call yourself a "Londoner".

:blink:

nice selective cut-and-pasting, weasel brain. ...eat cheese monkeyface.

Ugh, I was having a bit of fun? Me thinks you protest too much.

Nevermind zz, I'll bear no malice. In fact if I was buying property speculatively for capital growth, I would welcome your presence in the area:

Follow that rainbow, Telegraph, 24/01/2004

Market watch: the pink pound, Telegraph, 11/02/2004

(actually very useful articles)