House Price Crash Forum

Hello All

A pretty broad location enquiry I suppose!!

Bascially, there's a few areas I'm interested in living.. I currently live in N21 and 1) it's too expensive, and 2) am looking to move closer to SW for possible job/ bit of a life change, would prefer to be close to areas for mountain biking, etc but still reasonable distance to Central London.

The most popular is Twickenham / st margs area but the only bit that seems affordable is near TW green and not near the mainline station. except for the varisty drive bit but I have my reservations about that!

Have also been very interested in what you get for your money in kingston and also epsom area - slower train but a nice looking terrace or semi house, bit of character, near station, garden, sometimes parking etc for asking price 250k ish !Compared to London this sounds very cheap indeed, where in my current area a house is more like 300k+

My main worry is about prices going down, so would like to know how much they have already sunk in this area, there's definately looks like a glut of 2 bed houses.

lots of houses with an asking price 275k ish, am curious whether they will start considering much lower overs, eg. 40k - 50k off this asking price..

All info welcome! :D

Go on then, I'll reply.... :D

Some bits of Twickenham are ok (the posh bits near the river for example), but north Twickenham/Isleworth borders aren't great. I think the Varsity drive area you mention is round that way. There's also Mogden Lane sewerage plant round there that stinks the whole area out in the summer. :( (will come as an unpleasant surprise for those that bought houses round there last winter)...

Keep going north and you get Isleworth (Where I lived for a few years) - not great either. Some bits are ok, but it's slowly becoming like Hounslow... I wouldn't bother.

Twickenham is also right under the flight path and I think the high street is a bit of a dump.

St. Margarets is quite nice - better than Twickenham and handy for Richmond and the river without Richmond prices. (Still under the flight path though).

Of course you could always try Richmond ??? You could spend the summer sitting outside that big pub (White Cross?) on the river watching all the beautiful people (all three thousand of them). Not my scene....

South of Twickenham is Teddington (where I live). Quiet really - about 30 mins to Waterloo by train. Not directly under the flight path either. I like it but would like it more if I had the 350k it would cost to buy a small house here....

Kingston: Hate this place. Dominated by a modern, faceless shopping centre and is a chav magnet. No idea why anyone would live there (dons tin-hat. Someone here probably does :ph34r: )

I've not spent much time there, but Surbiton looks a much better bet if you want to be that side of the river - plus I think the rail links are good too.

No idea about Epsom.

There you go - just my humble opinion. :D

Kingston: Hate this place. Dominated by a modern, faceless shopping centre and is a chav magnet. No idea why anyone would live there

I agree, but most people who defend Kingston love shopping, and point out that the area has good schools, is close to Richmond Park and the river, which are both nice to walk through/beside, and good rail links to central London. It's the ultimate commuter destination for an active professional couple with one or two children. This is either a good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

Edited by zzg113
Go on then, I'll reply.... :D

Some bits of Twickenham are ok (the posh bits near the river for example), but north Twickenham/Isleworth borders aren't great. I think the Varsity drive area you mention is round that way. There's also Mogden Lane sewerage plant round there that stinks the whole area out in the summer.  :(  (will come as an unpleasant surprise for those that bought houses round there last winter)...

In defence of Isleworth, I used to own a house that backed onto Mogden and the smell was not too bad - it has improved a lot in the last 10 years.

The bit of Isleworth near the station is not very nice but other parts are just fine IMO.

Why not look slightly further out, say Esher/Hampton Court/Thames Ditton/Molesey

If you look around there are some good value houses, especially in the Molesey area. It depends how near you want to be to a station, but if you are happy to cycle/bus/drive to a station to commute to London then Molesey is good. Some parts of Esher are ok too, and can sometimes be good value for money.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Probably a bit late to give my opinion on the places mentioned, but here goes anyway in case it is still of any use:

Kingston - I agree about the chav/late night problem, but I have been out a lot in slightly smaller provincial towns (Guildford, Tunbridge Wells etc) that have this problem at least as bad as Kingston.

On the upside, it has got a great shopping centre, quite a few nice bars and restaurants (as well as all of the bad ones!), and easy access to the river/Richmond Park.

Commuting from Kingston is not the best, though - 30 minute trains 4 times an hour. Prices in Kingston are quite good at the moment.

Twickenham - Tricky one this as it has its own 'chav' problems, and as you have discovered, property in a good part of town is expensive.

Teddington - Very nice place, with good river frontage, nice housing stock and good access to Bushy Park. I would say that it is a little overpriced, though, as it is not really within walking distance of Kingston/Richmond and only has limited local shopping of its own. Also a very poor commute (35 mins into Waterloo 4 times an hour)

Epsom - I would avoid this place(I work there). This place has as many chavs as most large towns, all shoehorned into a small one. It feels a bit dangerous during the day, let alone at closing time! A 35-40 minute commute into Waterloo/Victoria is not really rewarded with much cheaper house prices, either.

As mentioned earlier in the thread I would give Surbiton some serious consideration. If you do, makes sure you stay on the Kingston/river side of the town, as things go very much downhill as you start looking at Ewell Road/Tolworth.

Surbiton is only a 10-15 minute walk from Kingston, meaning that you can get most of Kingston's advantages without its disadvantages. Surbiton itself is relatively burberry free, apart from a couple of pubs round the station. Housing stock is good, primarly Victorian 2 up 2 downs and conversions, although there are quite a lot of ugly 70's PB blocks. You should be able to pick up a decent 2 bed flat within 5 minutes walk of the station for around £225-£230k. Things get a bit more expensive in the 'river roads' as they are only 5 minutes from the station and the river. Budget £240-£270k for a nice 2 bed flat, and £300k+ for a small house on these roads.

Surbiton has quite a few bars and restaurants, and nice river walks, but the main selling point will always be the sub-20 minute commute into Waterloo, with 12 trains per hour. It would almost be like having the Tube (if SWT were not so cr*p!)

Edited by FTB1

Hey FTB1 thanks for the info, better late then never!! ;)

I've not even booked any viewing in the SW yet, plenty of time as not in a rush. Very interesting info thou. Particularly about Epsom. It's always risky moving to an area you don't know.. I'm keen at the moment on Twickenham, and the bit thats near the green and strawberry hill.

The worse thing is the fact that it's still insultingly expensive to buy a very humble house, with no entrance hall, parking or a proper garden. Sometimes I find it very depressing.. you work so hard but stil can;t afford a modest home :(

Although I will investigate surbiton as well, sounds interesing,

Cheers!

Where does surbiton end and tolworth begin thou? I've seen some interesting stuff around fishpools open space area, is this a part to avoid?

In reality Surbiton finishes about half a mile down Ewell Road from the town centre. EAs will have you believe that Surbiton goes all the way down to the Tolworth roundabout on the A3

Fishponds open space is on the border of Surbiton and Tolworth (all EAs would say Surbiton!) As long as you get off the main road (Ewell Road) it is ok, and there are some nice properties on The Avenue and Avenue South.

As mentioned above, I would stay the other side of the railway track which gives you much closer proximity to the station, the river and Kingston.

I live in Teddington/Hampton Wick area (broom road) and I agree with the rest - fantastic area although prices simply reflect this so no bargains but 3 good schools (i went to all :) and managed to go to a good uni).

Parkland access for mountain biking is excellent and you can do a loop round the river through ham, cycle to Hampton Court, go to bushy park or even Richmond park. Also near enough kingston to shop, use facilities i.e. riverside/cinema etc but far enough away to aviod lowlife chav's.

Could also try Molesey as suggested, also try Lower Sunbury - still some bargains there and access to London direct on train (but longer journey), M25, M3 so good transport links.

Anyway now for the shocker - good 2 bed flats/houses in teddington are around £200-£400K. - good luck!

I live in Teddington/Hampton Wick area (broom road) and I agree with the rest - fantastic area although prices simply reflect this so no bargains but 3 good schools (i went to all :) and managed to go to a good uni).

Parkland access for mountain biking is excellent and you can do a loop round the river through ham, cycle to Hampton Court, go to bushy park or even Richmond park. Also near enough kingston to shop, use facilities i.e. riverside/cinema etc but far enough away to aviod lowlife chav's.

Could also try Molesey as suggested, also try Lower Sunbury - still some bargains there and access to London direct on train (but longer journey), M25, M3 so good transport links.

Anyway now for the shocker - good 2 bed flats/houses in teddington are around £200-£400K. - good luck!