Official - House Prices Are Going Up In Some Counties

I was ridiculed for not backing up my words with data. Link is below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d.../counties.stm?d

Detached

Bracknell Forest +6.6%

Windor & Maidenhead +2.9%

Torbay +2.7%

Southampton +2.1%

Biggest drop City of Bristol -36.4% (not exactly safe area)

The information above is based on figures provided by the Land Registry of England and Wales.

Figures for England and Wales are for the period October to December 2008.

I am not sure where the predicted 45% drop is going to come from

From the monthly Land Registry reports for end of September and December 2008 .

Bracknell Forest sept 217,038 Dec 197,263 Loss -9.11%

Windor & Maidenhead sept 336,472 Dec 319,057 Loss -5.18%

Torbay sept 163,986 dec 154,566 loss -5.74%

Southampton sept 153,685 dec 146,751 loss -4.51%

There is the theory of the mobius, A twist in the fabric of space, where time becomes a loop, where time becomes a loop, where time becomes a loop, where time becomes a loop, where time becomes a loop, where time becomes a loop, where time becomes a loop...

I was ridiculed for not backing up my words with data. Link is below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d.../counties.stm?d

Detached

Bracknell Forest +6.6%

Torbay +2.7%

Southampton +2.1%

Biggest drop City of Bristol -36.4% (not exactly safe area)

The information above is based on figures provided by the Land Registry of England and Wales.

Figures for England and Wales are for the period October to December 2008.

I am not sure where the predicted 45% drop is going to come from

Stop wasting our time, install the property bee and check prices your self.

Bracknell Forest: on every page on Right Move at least 2 discounts last Dec or Jan ...

Troll alert!

Edited by damian frach
:D:Dconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Actually Mr Pebble, I got really freaked out by that, also by the news that one of our major clients is looking for 25% savings across its whole organisation, which might be a positive thing for us if we play it right, but is a massive wake up call about how bad things are getting. Yet the bankers till whine about their bonuses so they can keep Tim and Jocasta in Ballet class, and retain the Nanny

I don't really care what houses are going to go down in price to now, as long as I can still eat, and people I used to care about and bought at the wrong time manage to get through this. Hell I don't even know if I'll be solvent at the end of the year.

It seems a bit silly to get triumphalist that some statistical anomaly is pointing towards green shoots. Bit like the daisy that survived under the brick at Hiroshima.

Hi Valerius,

Nice figures but I was wondering could you tell me what percentage of total UK property sales the land registry used in those months to create its house price index?

Cheers,

Buy Toilet

I would not be able to substantiate on this as I have not seen the aggregated others numbers. (Total UK sales)

Bracknell Forest +6.6%

Torbay +2.7%

Southampton +2.1%

You missed the real Bull Run, matey

Accroding to BBC, flats in the Forest of Dean are up 88% QoQ and 93% YoY (postcode GL17)

Damn, 20 of them already sold during Q4'08 so I'm not sure there is much left to flip...

Get in quick, while you can !!! :P

On a more serious note, detached houses in Guildford (postcode GU1) dropped 28.4% QoQ so another such quarter and predicted 45% off will easily materialise :lol:

It seems a bit silly to get triumphalist that some statistical anomaly is pointing towards green shoots. Bit like the daisy that survived under the brick at Hiroshima.

Mmm Shippers -- I like that expression!!

BTW -- I too am VERY worried for my parents - who worked HARD all their lives and saved... and some of my family..... I am afraid I saw all this coming a LONG time ago - I just KNEW that it was all a staggeringly massive pyramid scam.... It's got to the point where I really don't want to watch/look at/listen to the news anymore --- it just makes me feel depressed...

It P1SSES me off that the Govt - and that @RSE Broon as F*CKING Chancellor didn't see this all coming - and PUT AND END to the GIANT PONZI SCHEME that HOUSE PRICES BECAME.....

IT WAS ALL SO F*CKING OBVIOUS....

I AM SERIOUSLY P1SSED OFF............

I would not be able to substantiate on this as I have not seen the aggregated others numbers. (Total UK sales)

I don't think anyone has. I've tried looking for the figures but they aren't easily available.

My guess is that the Land registry don't make them available as it would expose their house price index as blatant statistical fraud during times of such low sales.

Until I see the land registry including repossessions (as set out in this article Guardian article) I won't trust their indices.

The trend everywhere is down though isn't it? Come back in a year. Show us some places where nice detached properties are being sold for more than now.

Trend is down I agree.

The trend can however be extrapolated. Tell me where is the 45% drop is going to come from? Or 60% for that matter?

I was challenged on it. I gave you an answer.

Be wise.

Varius,

I look at the BBC figures and I see a sea of red - nearly every price is down, except for a handful, which you have kindly quoted.

You strangely pick on that rare breed, the detached house. The areas you note had surprisingly few transactions - 77, 96, 63 and 74 - hardly sufficient to be representative. In these circumstances, we could expect more variation.

Detached properties are particularly prone to fluctuations because while you have many of the typical 4-bed, modest detached, you also get multi-million pound mansions. This would make quarter-on-quarter fluctuations significant. I would expect significantly fewer fluctuations in the prices of semis and terraces.

Even with these there are still a few ups, but that hardly changes the fact that the trend, in the vast majority of places, is down 10% or more over the year.

Varius,

I look at the BBC figures and I see a sea of red - nearly every price is down, except for a handful, which you have kindly quoted.

You strangely pick on that rare breed, the detached house. The areas you note had surprisingly few transactions - 77, 96, 63 and 74 - hardly sufficient to be representative. In these circumstances, we could expect more variation.

Detached properties are particularly prone to fluctuations because while you have many of the typical 4-bed, modest detached, you also get multi-million pound mansions. This would make quarter-on-quarter fluctuations significant. I would expect significantly fewer fluctuations in the prices of semis and terraces.

Even with these there are still a few ups, but that hardly changes the fact that the trend, in the vast majority of places, is down 10% or more over the year.

Yeah but Varius's point was that nice detached places aren't going to fall 45 percent.

And maybe there will be some pockets where they don't drop anywhere near to 45 percent. But enough top end stuff has had to been reduced substantially to sell. And we're only a wee way into this. Therefore I see 4 bed detached places in quite a few nices areas dropping by half. I could be wrong though. CGNAO's inflationary holocaust could be coming.