House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Channel 4 Edit Something Out Of A Simpsons Episode?

In the episode where Homer bought a gun to protect the family (quite reasonably, I think) and Marge told him to get rid of it (quite unreasonably, I think) did C4 edit the ending?

Right at the end, where Marge is about to drop it in the bin I was under the impresion that she dropped it in her hand bag instead. However, I think C4 have edited out that part to give the impression that she did indeed put it in the bin. I'm sure that the first time it was shown it went in her bag. In fact, the playing of the Avenegers theme as she's walking away only makes sense if it did actually go in her bag.

Can anyone offer a definitive answer on this?

In the episode where Homer bought a gun to protect the family (quite reasonably, I think) and Marge told him to get rid of it (quite unreasonably, I think) did C4 edit the ending?

Right at the end, where Marge is about to drop it in the bin I was under the impresion that she dropped it in her hand bag instead. However, I think C4 have edited out that part to give the impression that she did indeed put it in the bin. I'm sure that the first time it was shown it went in her bag. In fact, the playing of the Avenegers theme as she's walking away only makes sense if it did actually go in her bag.

yes

in the original episode I'm sure she did

Channel 4 edit out a LOT of stuff, always have.

I remember when they first showed Futurama... they edited out words such as "sperm", and just flat-out didn't broadcast some of the more risque episodes.

Yes they defineitley did, it seems a shame to edit a program, people should be able to watch what they want and make there own views on it. If they must edit it at least they could do it properly ie. put a bit of time into blending it together and not leavin it as it was which made it blatently obvious that it was edited.

C4 are pretty bad for that. They edited Krusty's joke about Pakistan being nuked by India in another episode. Maybe understandable given that India actually were threatening to do that at the time, but then, why show that episode on that day? Weird.

yup the cartridge family was the episode, was quite a stir when it first came out if i remember right, sky didn't play it and the only way to see it was on DVD. Think there had been a school shooting.

That spot is kinda placed for school kid viewing, impressionable minds, parents complaining... damned if you do or don't situation.

yup the cartridge family was the episode, was quite a stir when it first came out if i remember right, sky didn't play it and the only way to see it was on DVD. Think there had been a school shooting.

That spot is kinda placed for school kid viewing, impressionable minds, parents complaining... damned if you do or don't situation.

This is what I can't understand. The episode was bad enough with the way it treated guns being used as toys; although it did present the fact that many people (and in the episode it was most people) were capable of treating firearms with a modicum of common sense when they took Homers NRA card away from him for being irresponsible.

However, by editing out the part where Marge drops the gun in her bag they give the viewers the impression that she's put it in the wase bin and walked away from it - surely that is pretty irresponsible behavior?

Morons!

She did keep it on the VHS copy that I bought ("Simpsons: Too Hot for TV").

Channel 4 edit out a LOT of stuff, always have.

Remember when they showed "Angel" at 6:00 PM? They just hacked it to pieces.

I remember when they first showed Futurama... they edited out words such as "sperm", and just flat-out didn't broadcast some of the more risque episodes.

When they showed it late at night, you pretty much got the unedited version.

The first time I saw "How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove back" it was heavily cut. I only realised it when I bought the series on DVD.

It's got a lot to do with how British TV execs still see cartoons ("kids stuff"), although "Family Guy" may finally be finally changing some minds. No chance of the BBC showing THAT at 6.00 PM in the evening!

"The Simpsons", "Futurama", "Daria", "Family Guy", are all aimed at least a teen/adult audience. OK, kids watch "The Simpsons" but one hopes that at least some of the stuff goes over their heads.