House Price Crash Forum

Am I The Only Sane Man On The Planet

HOLA441
can any of you on this board prove to me that you can run faster than the speed of light?

you cant can you.

morons.

I'm really weirded out by this thread. I'd have thought that most of the posters here realize the power that savings give you over that of loan repayments.

I would go as far as to say that I would happily suck up a o,5 to 1.0% deficit in my saving rate in order to maintain control over my cash.

repayments you have made against a loan will never be in your control ever again.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Morons. why exactly?

somebody fetch a calculator for this man. I reference you to post 41. It's a realy simple question.

i thought id just join in with threetimesdead by asking my own unanswerable hypothetical question. then call everyone a moron for not being able to answer me.

Edited by mfp123

HOLA444
I would go as far as to say that I would happily suck up a o,5 to 1.0% deficit in my saving rate in order to maintain control over my cash.

repayments you have made against a loan will never be in your control ever again.

Which is why I prefer to overpay significantly into an offset account - best of both worlds. You can't often easily get a savings vehicle as good. I only say often and easily as I didn't for example borrow from the Japanese at 0% and lend to the west at 5%. would've been nice...

HOLA445
i thought id just join in with threetimesdead by asking my own unanswerable hypothetical question, then call everyone a moron for not being able to answer me.

Sorry, sarcasm breakdown. reset in progress.

edited for pissedness

Edited by Japhy Rider

HOLA446
HOLA447
Which is why I prefer to overpay significantly into an offset account - best of both worlds. You can't often easily get a savings vehicle as good. I only say often and easily as I didn't for example borrow from the Japanese at 0% and lend to the west at 5%. would've been nice...

I would agree (and I do in a way), except that offset accounts are necessarily with the same institution as your mortgage lender. Try telling them that you can't afford your mortgage payment one month. See what they say.

JR

HOLA448
I think the OP was really just trying to raise an interesting recent phenomenon whereby the interest rate on some tracker mortgages is actually less than the rate paid on some relatively safe investments.

here's a purely academic question:

You have a loan which is completely flexible and on which you pay an annual interest rate of 5%

In the market there is a savings vehicle which pays an annual interest rate of 6%

Which is the better choice?

A. Repay capital on the loan

B. Repay only interest and put any capital repayments you would have made into the savings scheme

Depends on you're definition of "better". For 1% difference, "better" for me would be what's easiest as 1% isn't worth the hassle.

In reality, if someone can point out where a safe arbitrage opportunity on mortgages and savings accounts exists for your average joe, a few of us would be interested as that would be the banks giving us free money. I'd like to see it...

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Depends on you're definition of "better". For 1% difference, "better" for me would be what's easiest as 1% isn't worth the hassle.

In reality, if someone can point out where a safe arbitrage opportunity on mortgages and savings accounts exists for your average joe, a few of us would be interested as that would be the banks giving us free money. I'd like to see it...

but on the flip side you also need to appreciate the opportunity cost of capital.

in theory having easy access to your money should be at a cost you( and in reality this is generally the case) .

so having an option to get easy access to your money AND getting a better rate, is considered the better option.

bear in mind the only way you can access the money saved in your house at any point, is to sell the house.

Edited by mfp123

HOLA4412
I would agree (and I do in a way), except that offset accounts are necessarily with the same institution as your mortgage lender. Try telling them that you can't afford your mortgage payment one month. See what they say.

JR

They'd say yes, as it's one of the products features ( because I have also made a few months payments "in advance" as they call the results of my rounding up the repayments for a few years on the trot). When that's run out I could use the offset savings to pay the mortgage if tshtf.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'm not sure there is much arbitrage oportunity here. There are a few people whose mortgage rates are tracking the MPC rates. for them there is a theoretical benefit, but if your real rate is low then I would say keep the money if you can. do the sums for a 0.5% or 1.0% difference in your repayments (if you have the option). cash is king! but don't ever default!

HOLA4415
They'd say yes, as it's one of the products features ( because I have also made a few months payments "in advance" as they call the results of my rounding up the repayments for a few years on the trot). When that's run out I could use the offset savings to pay the mortgage if tshtf.

I agree (sort of) anything that keeps some control over your money is good.