• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
They don't hire our workers - we don't buy their petrol, simple!

In practise Shell and the supermarkets are cheaper anyway so there's no hardship in putting them out of business.

(Also, they sold me contaminated fuel once and didn't 'fess up like the other oil companies. Instead they gave me the run-aound and hired a lots of PR people to keep their name out of the news; when I was trying to get compo one of them confessed to me she was part of a new team just brought in to put a lid on the news. The other companies, Esso mainly, just put their hands up and said yes we did bad, we'll pay.)

Wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang,........wanna be in my gang wooohooo.

NO !

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
This is just garbage, I'm afriad. People from all nations have always done foreign contract work ever since the dawn of time. It's no big deal. The current situation is no different from a merchant sailor or trawlerman living on a boat, except for being a hell of a lot safer. It's no different to contractors in the UK having to live in a sh1tty B&B for months.

As for your assetions that the EU has weak employment law. You simply have no idea what you are talking about. There is a raft of anti-discrimination and safety legislation in place that we wouldn't have if it weren't for the EU treaties. Example, women can no longer be paid less than men for the same job. That's mainly because of EU legislation, not UK.

How can you possibly say that we have weak employment law when you can get on a plane today to anywhere in the EU, with no pre-planning and with no visa's or permissions needed and have the same legal right to apply for any job (small number of exceptions) as a local would? That pretty much rubbishes your argument as to working having very little power.

I don't disagree with anything you say there 6538 but we're coming at this from two totally different directions I think. You mention two benefits of a deregulated labour market: people can choose to work abroad within the EU and women can choose to work and for equal pay. This is all very admirable. The benefit to big business has been the creation of a continent-wide source of cheap labour which has had the effect of driving down wages. The actual result for many workers is that there's now very little choice in people going abroad to find jobs or women going to work. It has become a financial necessity for them to do so. A disproportionate amount of the benefits of deregulation have gone to companies.

Consider also that there is a significant social cost in the new status quo in the labour market: job insecurity means more unemployment, working mothers need childcare, family life is disrupted, additional strain is put on housing supply and infrastructure - the list is endless. Who pays for the social costs of the labour deregulation? The companies? Hardly.

Deregulated labour markets like the US or the UK all end up in the same place - over-reliant on flexible, low-cost labour. Why invest in machinery to boost production when you can get some cheap workers in and then fire them when they are no longer necessary. Britain has shockingly low productivity per worker in comparison to its Western European neighbours for precisely this reason. A look at our Northern European neighbours shows that there is a more sustainable alternative strives for proper balance in living standards and corporate profits whilst maintaining economies that put bankrupt Britain to shame.