House Price Crash Forum

Hpc V Facebook And Some Diabolical Thing....

Methinkshe

I have just spent a couple of weeks with my eldest daughter and my grandson and it appears she is totally hooked on Facebook. Like the good Grannie I am (ho-hum) I have deferred to her as a guest in my house and allowed her to virtually monopolise the computer so that she can keep up with her Facebook pals.

I have to admit I missed posting on HPC, but more than that, missed keeping up to date with current affairs above and beyond the TV news - which I rarely view - and my daily newspaper.

I do not a Facebook account (or whatever it is called when one joins up). How many HPCers do or don't subscribe to Facebook? My present understanding is that HPC and Facebook are antithetical in terms of personal interest, but I could just be displaying an old git type of resistance.

I'm interested to know how many HPCers also subscribe to Facebook and for what reason?

Or, worse still (um, sorry, better still) does anyone subscribe to Twitter - or whatever it is called?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just spent a couple of weeks with my eldest daughter and my grandson and it appears she is totally hooked on Facebook. Like the good Grannie I am (ho-hum) I have deferred to her as a guest in my house and allowed her to virtually monopolise the computer so that she can keep up with her Facebook pals.

I have to admit I missed posting on HPC, but more than that, missed keeping up to date with current affairs above and beyond the TV news - which I rarely view - and my daily newspaper.

I do not a Facebook account (or whatever it is called when one joins up). How many HPCers do or don't subscribe to Facebook? My present understanding is that HPC and Facebook are antithetical in terms of personal interest, but I could just be displaying an old git type of resistance.

I'm interested to know how many HPCers also subscribe to Facebook and for what reason?

Or, worse still (um, sorry, better still) does anyone subscribe to Twitter - or whatever it is called?

I have to admit to facebook

I use facebook quite a lot, its very good for managing a large number of contacts and it keeps you up to date with changes in those friends lives.

I don't use twitter, it just seems a bit pretentious to essentially shout your thoughts into the ether on the assumption that people will find them interesting. I know facebook has a status comment but it is not the main feature.

ST

There is a Facebook group called "House Price Crash" with 105 members, so they are hardly the antithesis of each other.

Facebook is a convenient way of staying in touch with friends, seeing what they are up to and getting back in contact. I am not sure why people would spend hours on it, but it is probably not unhealthy.

I cannot say too much about Twitter, but I have an invitation in my inbox from a friend to join something called Reunion.com. We are already Facebook friends so cannot see why I need to sign up for yet another social networking site.

I joined recently and have found it useful to keep in touch with distant friends/family all over the World. Other than that......its no big deal.

My husband is a keen fan due to the same reasons. I have resisted so far and been quite disparaging about it but know that I will succumb, eventually. :unsure::huh::o

Edited by Buffer Bear

the problem with face book is that you have to have friends, which i dont and also i get my account deleted for not good reason just because i ask questions.

facebook is evil. its the powers that bes attempt to centralise the internet so that they can control content easier. if everyone had their own web site with rss feeds they would have less control. as it stands, if they dont like you, they can delete you without question, ask Bruno.

im a myspacer, and they tend to delete me on my birthday and new years eve in order to destroy my hope. i remember when myspace worked, now they automate and isolate. might as well talk to my self, which i do antway.

might as wel be dead

Yes, facebook is good to keep an eye on everyone I know without having to be too involved. IMHO I keep my facebook details separated from my HPC details for obvious privacy reason. Twitter looks interesting, but too involved its like a constantly connected version of facebook where you publish day to day commentary on whats going on. Lots of people in media are now addicted to twitter (Johnathon ross, the robot of off red dwarf, and the guy of QI)

Edited by moosetea

I don't use twitter, it just seems a bit pretentious to essentially shout your thoughts into the ether on the assumption that people will find them interesting. I know facebook has a status comment but it is not the main feature.

ST

Twitter was useful when they would pay to send SMS messages to you from your friends.

Unfortunately they eventually worked out that providing a free international SMS messaging service wasn't a sustainable business model.

My son-in-law signed me up - said it would be a good way to keep in contact with my grandson etc.

I took one look at the personal info that was available to all and cancelled the subscription immediately - made him delete all traces....

I just don't like the idea of all my personal stuff being freely available.

Then, when I saw the kind of messages that were being exchanged - like:

I am looking forward to meeting my husband's brother's sister's aunt's nephew who is passing our house on his way to hospital for a brain transplant....

Or

Methinkshe is so pleased to welcome home her partner who has been absent for 1 hr and 45 mins while shopping at B & Q....

Yeuch!

Tell me, those in the know, that I'm really missing something and am just behaving like a typical old git....

No to facebook. Can't imagine anything worse than knowing what other people are up to, nor they me. Isn't it the same as what Orwell was banging on about?

No idea what twitter is. Sounds like something to do with twendy new meedya types.

Yes I'm an old git.

Guest sillybear2
My husband is a keen fan due to the same reasons. I have resisted so far and been quite disparaging about it but know that I will succumb, eventually. :unsure::huh::o

Probably when you catch a glimpse of the list of his ex-girlfriends.

No to facebook. Can't imagine anything worse than knowing what other people are up to, nor they me. Isn't it the same as what Orwell was banging on about?

No idea what twitter is. Sounds like something to do with twendy new meedya types.

Yes I'm an old git.

Well, yes, I am tempted to think along those lines - but one musn't offer offence, must one, for fear of the discrimination police?

Although what exactly one might have discriminated against is always somewhat dubious except in the mind of the local community officer or traffic warden offering the accusation. As far as they are concerned, any stated opinion that doesn't conform with the status quo of the day is potentially criminal.

Thus, if one is a nurse, one should absolutely and defintiely not offer to pray for one's patients for fear of being suspended without pay on the grounds of religious discrimination or some other such obscure law that the would-be prayer could never have hoped to know, never mind wilfully fall foul of.

Guest LongBlackKilt
My son-in-law signed me up - said it would be a good way to keep in contact with my grandson etc.

I took one look at the personal info that was available to all and cancelled the subscription immediately - made him delete all traces....

I just don't like the idea of all my personal stuff being freely available.

Then, when I saw the kind of messages that were being exchanged - like:

I am looking forward to meeting my husband's brother's sister's aunt's nephew who is passing our house on his way to hospital for a brain transplant....

Or

Methinkshe is so pleased to welcome home her partner who has been absent for 1 hr and 45 mins while shopping at B & Q....

Yeuch!

Tell me, those in the know, that I'm really missing something and am just behaving like a typical old git....

Do we need more trivia? Maybe someone should start a site called Declutter.

Just put me down as "LongBlackKilt [o.g.]"

Probably when you catch a glimpse of the list of his ex-girlfriends.

Well, isn't that what it is all about? Collecting so-called friends and especially ex boy/girl friends with which to pull some kind of superiority/power play, against one's husband/wife, or more likely "partner".

I find the whole thing subtly subversive and undermining of good familial and societal relationships.

Guest sillybear2
I joined Facebook about a year. At first I thought it was a load of tosh but a while ago I joined a Facebook group called 'Get Labour Out' and have since been made an 'Officer' (!), 3000 members to date. Basically its a slag off the Government group.

And you joined this group by registering with a site that requested all your personal contact details? :lol: