House Price Crash Forum

The £9,000 House

HOLA441
This together with the 9k price tag rang an alarm bell. Here's the Environment Agency flood map. I've marked the location of the house with a red arrow. By all means buy it, just keep your furniture upstairs, avoid carpets, and don't expect to find insurance!

middlesbrough.jpg

Is that what you call Rising Damp?

HOLA442
HOLA443
Well we're here already. Who'd have thought it?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...icle2195198.ece

It has been empty since November and there is no chain, so a new buyer can move in straight away.

Link from the same Sun page: :unsure:

Tips to survive the recession ... of 1929

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/featu...icle2194999.ece

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
No wonder! The 'badlands' just to the north of the river are bad, even by M'bro standards. When I worked in M'bro, that area was colloquially known as Mogadishu-on-Tees. Don't go out after dark without armed protection.

LOL. This is the village I grew up in.

I suppose it's a case of what you're used to. For me, it is home, but I do know that outsiders do tend to sh1t themselves when they have to stop there.

I live in leafy Hampshire now, but I do occasionally drive down to the Port when I'm in Teesside visiting family.

It's a great place to be a kid. Industrial archeology all round, wild open land on one side. Fields and streams, ponds and hills. Great sledging in the snow. Fantastic adventure playground. Admittedly, our games would have been considered cadet training for special forces in any ordinary neighborhood, but I had a fantastic time. Most kids get toy trains as gifts. We had to make do with the real thing.

Ah the memories.

Thanks for that.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Oddly enough I once had a similar encounter with a red-eared terrapin while cycling along a canal in London. It made it quite clear that if anyone was going to step aside - it would be me. Better class of feral creature in London I guess.

Went to a zoo in Hamburg years back, and my companion picked up a small stick and waved it at a 12" tall monkey in the cage before us.

The monkey disappeared, and reappeared with his own larger stick, which he waved very threateningly at us, as if to say 'come on, then'.

We retreated. That monkey may have been from Middlesborough....

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4412
Went to a zoo in Hamburg years back, and my companion picked up a small stick and waved it at a 12" tall monkey in the cage before us.

The monkey disappeared, and reappeared with his own larger stick, which he waved very threateningly at us, as if to say 'come on, then'.

We retreated. That monkey may have been from Middlesborough....

Prolly thought you were from Hartlepool.....

HOLA4413
Guest Steve Cook
Well we're here already. Who'd have thought it?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...icle2195198.ece

It has been empty since November and there is no chain, so a new buyer can move in straight away.

Some work is needed inside to update the kitchen and bathroom but it is still a bargain; other houses in the street normally sell for around £45,000.

Mr Pattinson added: “We were amazed at the level of interest, but it just goes to show there are still people who are looking to buy at the right price — and there are bargains if you look for them.”

Priced to sell. But if you had suggested a £9k semi at work even up to a year ago people would have just laughed. Who's laughing now?

Edit to tidy.

The North East

As ever....last in, first out

It was the same last time around

I remember houses selling for as little as 5k-6k in the early 90s

HOLA4414
Guest Steve Cook

From a purely investment point of view, this house is getting close to being worth buying (but not quite yet... ;))

There is very high unemployment in the area. That being the case, you can get about 300-350 per month from the local council in rent. When you calculate this up, it will take about 3.3 years to recoup your initial investment (taking into account the tax you must pay out of the rent). At which point, you carry on as all future rental income is profit. Or, you sell up and recoup your 9k. If the house has increased in price over the time period, you must deduct 18% capital gains

Obviously, if these kind of houses fall any further in price, the numbers get better.

Also, given that thisd crash is not even half way through, in my opinion, if some of these hosues are selling at 9k at this point. Now is definitely not the time to jump in yet.

You've got to be a certain kind of hard skinned bugger, though. These places are rough.

HOLA4415
You really do not want to live there believe me

OH but I do.

I yearn for shite and burning rubbish to be shoved through my letter box.

I ache for thugish young lads to scream insult as I drag my shopping through the street, and

Watching my car burn would be a joy (no truly it would :lol::lol::lol: )

HOLA4416
Does anyone fancy getting together and buying the street? We could gate it off from the locals, turn the gardens into food growing land and breed rotweillers to prtoect the community.

I see where your coming from "A green zone", like in Baghdad. How do we get food or go to work, at some point we will have to leave our protected community, thats when we are vulnerable to attack from the yocals.

Sorry, I have to pass on this one. ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Ahhh...that's Port Clarence n'it? Which technically makes it in Stockton rather than Middlesbrough.

A friend of mine used to work in the Surestart there and dreaded the inhumaneness of having to turn up. I've taught kids from there and have been assured that one particular family of notoriety are actually; "Proper Mint".

I also recall a story from a head of year who went to visit the parents of some miscreants, only to find the curtains closed and smokey pools of dubious substances coming from the letterbox. Ho ho ho.

Still, the RSPB's newest reserve (Salthome) is just about to open about a mile up the road - so things are 'happening'. In fact it is actually a great area for wildlife (and no, I'm not using a pun!). Also has an excellent sandwich/pie shop/butchers!

It's a down to earth and proud place - I just wouldn't want to be an 'outsider' (i.e. outwith a 200 metre radius).

Jazz...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

It sold at auction today for the £9,000 guide price.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7867796.stm

Michael Baines, manager of the Stockton branch, said that it was the cheapest house he had seen in his career and it was "snapped up in just two weeks".

He said: "The value of the property was definitely the selling point here, they should be able to renovate the house for just £27,000.

"Most of the houses in this area are sold for around £45,000 so this was a bargain."

HOLA4424
HOLA4425