House Price Crash Forum
Frank Hovis

The £9,000 House

Well we're here already. Who'd have thought it?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...icle2195198.ece

It has been empty since November and there is no chain, so a new buyer can move in straight away.

Some work is needed inside to update the kitchen and bathroom but it is still a bargain; other houses in the street normally sell for around £45,000.

Mr Pattinson added: “We were amazed at the level of interest, but it just goes to show there are still people who are looking to buy at the right price — and there are bargains if you look for them.”

Priced to sell. But if you had suggested a £9k semi at work even up to a year ago people would have just laughed. Who's laughing now?

Edit to tidy.

Edited by Frank Hovis

The low price is to draw interest, and create a sealed bidding frenzy.

It will probably sell for £12-20K as it appears not to have broken windows [yet].

No wonder! The 'badlands' just to the north of the river are bad, even by M'bro standards. When I worked in M'bro, that area was colloquially known as Mogadishu-on-Tees. Don't go out after dark without armed protection.

This sort of pricing tells me the land is worth zero,, even £20k would be the re-instatement cost.

Yep - what this actually is is a £9,000 bet on the area being regenerated at some point in the future.

You really do not want to live there believe me

Lived there for a short (thankfully) while a few years ago. Rat infested or what. Nearly cacked myself one night when I felt something land on the bed. Luckily it was only a tile but a friends would tell stories of how rats would park themselves in the lounge and stare as if to say "what you doing in our house"?

Oh happy days.....

Does anyone fancy getting together and buying the street? We could gate it off from the locals, turn the gardens into food growing land and breed rotweillers to prtoect the community.

Does anyone fancy getting together and buying the street? We could gate it off from the locals, turn the gardens into food growing land and breed rotweillers to prtoect the community.

Off you pop

I'd be more worried for the rotweillers.....

Err, no.

The sort of people living around there would have you out in 2 secs after you had done up there zone. If you were lucky, they might leave you with your underpants on. But they'd take everything else, including the bus fare. :rolleyes:

Lived there for a short (thankfully) while a few years ago. Rat infested or what. Nearly cacked myself one night when I felt something land on the bed. Luckily it was only a tile but a friends would tell stories of how rats would park themselves in the lounge and stare as if to say "what you doing in our house"?

Oh happy days.....

Quality post :lol:

I lived as a student in Linthorpe, a more upmarket suburb (apparently). I remember my first Saturday night quite vividly, watching someone get baseball batted right outside the front gate....

The Middlesbrough house was built in 1988 and is on the north bank of the River Tees just over a mile from the city centre, with local shops and pubs within walking distance.

This together with the 9k price tag rang an alarm bell. Here's the Environment Agency flood map. I've marked the location of the house with a red arrow. By all means buy it, just keep your furniture upstairs, avoid carpets, and don't expect to find insurance!

middlesbrough.jpg

post-5211-1233568921_thumb.jpg

Oh happy days.....

Oddly enough I once had a similar encounter with a red-eared terrapin while cycling along a canal in London. It made it quite clear that if anyone was going to step aside - it would be me. Better class of feral creature in London I guess.