House Price Crash Forum

Are You Pro Or Anti Cannabis?

leveller

HOLA441

I am no fan of the reclassification of cannabis to class B. I don't like that cannabis is illegal.

If you have a little time free, and want a bit more info, try to watch 'Emperor of hemp', or read 'The emperor wears no clothes'.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
I am no fan of the reclassification of cannabis to class B. I don't like that cannabis is illegal.

If you have a little time free, and want a bit more info, try to watch 'Emperor of hemp', or read 'The emperor wears no clothes'.

Should all be legal.

Addiction should be treated as a mental illness - including sectioning and forced residential rehab for those who cannot control their habits (this being extended to alcoholics).

HOLA443

extremely pro

has far more benefits than negatives

is it right that people with MS are forbidden pain relief ?

having tried nearly every drug under the sun my conclusions are

that alcohol is by far the most mind altering and personality changing of all

I have only ever had 1 conviction in my life: 25 yrs ago

that was for possession of cannabis

and I was sentenced to 2 months in prison

imo drugs arent half as damaging to your life as fascist UK courts

and NO it did not make me change my habit only my country of residence

Jaqui Smith = hypocritical fascist

her so called claims that the new super strength skunk type

is so much more potent than what was available in her days is utter utter rubbish

Nepalese Temple ball is and was then 3x stronger than any skunk

criminalisation is just a red rag to a teenager

the NL has a far lower %age of teens involved in its use

because there its no big deal

HOLA444

Pro-cannabis:

Mainstream opinion has not come up with a convincing case that cannabis use has the potential to cause any greater social and physiological problems than tobacco and alcohol, both of which are legal but regulated.

The cost of law enforcement if it remains illegal.

Legalisation has the potential to remove organised crime from the production and distribution chain.

Anti-cannabis:

The short-term effects are potentially dangerous, e.g. driving when under the influence.

Studies have been done that have identified a pretty strong link between long-term cannabis use and mental illness.

It's almost always consumed along with tobacco, with all the health drawbacks that brings.

The experience in The Netherlands has been that (effectively) legalised cannabis has not been successful in removing organised crime from the production and supply chain. In reality, the authorities have recently had to close a significant number of Amsterdam's 'coffee shops' because they've served as a base for the sale of harder drugs, prostitution, protection rackets and other illegal activity. There is also intense opposition and NIMBYism to these establishments, implying that as a general rule, they're not a positive influence on the communities they're situated in.

I'm not sure which side of the fence I come down on, but would need convincing that if cannabis were to be legalised, that the authorities could successfully cut the legal cannabis trade off from the other organised crime it's currently deeply entwined with.

HOLA445

My view is that if people want to use it and can use it without undue harm to anyone else then I cannot see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to. Broadly speaking that goes for anything which is currently illegal, not just drugs.

The thing about the drugs argument as put forward by the government is that it just dosen't hold water when you try to look at it sensibly. Okay, drugs are harmful, fair enough. However, everything we do in life is harmful to some degree and cannabis is way, way down the list of potentially harmful activites we could turn our attentions to. In fact, most illegal drugs are pretty harmless.

The thing that really pisses me off with this whole drugs policy is that the government seem to be utterly incapable of seeing the fact that keeping drugs illegal is doing more harm than legalising and controling them. You could eradicate the illegal heroin trade tomorrow by simply prescribing free heroin to every addict in the country. Every heroin dealer would go out of business over night, you would have virtually no new addicts taking up the drug, none would die through over-doses and adulterated product and crime would plummet. This was precisely the situation we had prior to when heroin prescribing by doctors was banned in the '60's.

However, I have to admit that I have a real problem with people - usually sensible, level headed people - who casually break the law by possessing, using and supplying illegal drugs. Not from the point of view of it causing harm to those particular individuals, or even because they're breaking the law, but because the illegal drug trade is run by some extremely unpleasant and violent people and is responsible for a great deal of exploitation, misery and death, especially in countries where people are dirt poor.

The people who would say that it's perfectly fine to use cannabis because its prohibition is unjust and their use of it causes no real harm to anyone are kidding themselves, quite honestly.

HOLA446
My view is that if people want to use it and can use it without undue harm to anyone else then I cannot see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to. Broadly speaking that goes for anything which is currently illegal, not just drugs.

The thing about the drugs argument as put forward by the government is that it just dosen't hold water when you try to look at it sensibly. Okay, drugs are harmful, fair enough. However, everything we do in life is harmful to some degree and cannabis is way, way down the list of potentially harmful activites we could turn our attentions to. In fact, most illegal drugs are pretty harmless.

The thing that really pisses me off with this whole drugs policy is that the government seem to be utterly incapable of seeing the fact that keeping drugs illegal is doing more harm than legalising and controling them. You could eradicate the illegal heroin trade tomorrow by simply prescribing free heroin to every addict in the country. Every heroin dealer would go out of business over night, you would have virtually no new addicts taking up the drug, none would die through over-doses and adulterated product and crime would plummet. This was precisely the situation we had prior to when heroin prescribing by doctors was banned in the '60's.

However, I have to admit that I have a real problem with people - usually sensible, level headed people - who casually break the law by possessing, using and supplying illegal drugs. Not from the point of view of it causing harm to those particular individuals, or even because they're breaking the law, but because the illegal drug trade is run by some extremely unpleasant and violent people and is responsible for a great deal of exploitation, misery and death, especially in countries where people are dirt poor.

The people who would say that it's perfectly fine to use cannabis because its prohibition is unjust and their use of it causes no real harm to anyone are kidding themselves, quite honestly.

+1

All drugs should be legal, they could eliminate much organised crime and also use taxes to raise money for treatment of addicts.

War on Drugs = Big Fail.

HOLA447

I'm generally anti, but it should be legalised, like all drugs, so the problem is in the open and can be controlled.

I knew a couple of guys who did it regularly and I don't care what anyone says, it changed them over a period of time. They slowed down (even when not using) and their personality changed for the worse.

HOLA448
I'm generally anti, but it should be legalised, like all drugs, so the problem is in the open and can be controlled.

I knew a couple of guys who did it regularly and I don't care what anyone says, it changed them over a period of time. They slowed down (even when not using) and their personality changed for the worse.

To be hoped you kept your distance when they had the munchies. ;)

HOLA449

I don't like it because I've had friends who were light users and became heavier users.

It didn't cause the psychological problems you hear about, but it did make them VERY BORING. The height of their ambition was to go home, sit on the settee and smoke dope. That was it.

So in my experience it doesn't cause crime or mental problems. It wrecks lives in a far more insiduous way by destroying people's desire to go out and do things.

And for that reason I am against.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
extremely pro

has far more benefits than negatives

is it right that people with MS are forbidden pain relief ?

having tried nearly every drug under the sun my conclusions are

that alcohol is by far the most mind altering and personality changing of all

I have only ever had 1 conviction in my life: 25 yrs ago

that was for possession of cannabis

and I was sentenced to 2 months in prison

imo drugs arent half as damaging to your life as fascist UK courts

and NO it did not make me change my habit only my country of residence

Jaqui Smith = hypocritical fascist

her so called claims that the new super strength skunk type

is so much more potent than what was available in her days is utter utter rubbish

Nepalese Temple ball is and was then 3x stronger than any skunk

criminalisation is just a red rag to a teenager

the NL has a far lower %age of teens involved in its use

because there its no big deal

By your reasoning then Heroin should be legal as well, as that too is a pain killer.

Cannabis is a drug that should be restricted, and it should certainly not be available to the public without prescription.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

As someone involved in law enforcement as his day job, I wouldnt say that I'm pro-cannabis but I'm certainly an anti-prohibitionista.

The simple reason is that the prohibitionist argument is utterly intellectually and morally bankrupt. I really cant see how punitive enforcement action is supposed to help anything, nor have I seen any evidence of a 'crackdown' having any positive effects, while I have seen evidence to the contrary.

HOLA4416
By your reasoning then Heroin should be legal as well, as that too is a pain killer.

Whats wrong with that?

Cannabis is a drug that should be restricted, and it should certainly not be available to the public without prescription.

Why?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Someone high on crack looking for trouble, would it be OK for me to knock their brains out with a stick ?

Why? Whats he done to you? Is he any different from a drunk? Would you expect to be able to summaraliy execute drunk people with no legal repercussions?

HOLA4419
As someone involved in law enforcement as his day job, I wouldnt say that I'm pro-cannabis but I'm certainly an anti-prohibitionista.

The simple reason is that the prohibitionist argument is utterly intellectually and morally bankrupt. I really cant see how punitive enforcement action is supposed to help anything, nor have I seen any evidence of a 'crackdown' having any positive effects, while I have seen evidence to the contrary.

I am not sure you would like to see it legalised, particularly if you have children.

I think many people would be shocked if they realised exactly how many people would fall prey to addiction if it were to be legalised.

In theory legalising it sounds good, get rid of the people who currently profit from others misery, however the social effects of legalisation would be enormous.

HOLA4420

pro

HOLA4421
I am not sure you would like to see it legalised, particularly if you have children.

I think many people would be shocked if they realised exactly how many people would fall prey to addiction if it were to be legalised.

In theory legalising it sounds good, get rid of the people who currently profit from others misery, however the social effects of legalisation would be enormous.

Cannabis is not addictive (unlike tobacco and alcohol which can be purchased from the shop on the corner of the street) and in any case, I would rather my kids smoked a spliff and ate 12 bags of monster much than drinking 12 pints of stella getting into fights with the old bill.

At the moment, anyone who really wants to obtain cannabis can do so without much bother. But not without recourse to organised criminals.

Theres also the fact that taking drugs is the only victimless crime on the books. Its ironic that you can be sent to jail for smoking weed while rapists can be set free simply because the victim doesnt want to substantiate the allegation.

HOLA4422
Why? Whats he done to you? Is he any different from a drunk? Would you expect to be able to summaraliy execute drunk people with no legal repercussions?

Are you suggesting that people driving around in cars under the influence of drugs is acceptable ?

Taking that further, how many drunks do we see on random streets, very few I would think, and that is because drinking is contained to certain areas, and that causes enough problems. Drugs are not contained, and they also cause a lot of aggression in many people.

Many many people involved in violence in pubs, are under the influence of drink, but also under the influence of drugs. I doubt there is a bar in the nation that doesnt have some local dealer popping in on a regular basis supplying the punters.

HOLA4423

All arguments put forward to support the recent B classification and continued prohibition of cannabis are , variously:

- Factually inaccurate

- Scientifically dubious

- As jonewer has already said, intellectually bankrupt.

It must be conceded however that it is a potentially damaging drug, to the user and society at large.

Much like cars and credit cards, poor quality chess sets and the popular garden game for all ages - Swingball - extreme use presents a minor risk to a very small number of people, and can only be avoided through education.

- edited for clarity - possibly in vain :P

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Drugs are not contained, and they also cause a lot of aggression in many people.

Ive NEVER seen a stoner or anyone on pills even contemplating starting an argument with anyone let alone being agressive - quite the opposite in fact.

However, have you ever visited an A&E ward on a Friday night and seen the horrors that are there because of drunken fights and wife / partner battering? Stella isnt called 'wife beater' for nothing.....

Archived