House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Hero Or Just Very Good Pilot?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle5583941.ece

I'm never sure about these sorts of stories. Clearly the guy is a fantastic pilot who kept his cool in a situation that would have freaked out most lesser men and women. On the other hand, he was, as he himself says, just doing the job he's trained for and he didn't voluntarily run into a burning building or jump on a land mine or whatever.

Is the word hero overused or has its meaning changed over the years?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle5583941.ece

he didn't voluntarily run into a burning building or jump on a land mine or whatever.

..but he did go into the plane twice as it was sinking and walk the length of the cabin to make sure nobody was still inside. He was the last out, apparently.

Landing a passenger plane in those circumstances (without engines) is very different to anything a pilot would encounter normally, or in a simulator. Lesser people would lose their nerve. Luck played a part in the safe landing but in my opinion the pilot is a true hero.

Sadly, he is clearly a modest man and is not enjoying the limelight. I hope the press leave him alone.

At a time when the words 'hero' and 'genius' are bandied about like confetti on those completely unworthy of the terms.

I am happy for this 'very good' pilot to be demoninated 'hero'.

Yes, it was his job and his training paid off. That said, he took control, acted calmly, put the passengers first... saved 100+ lives.

The answer to your question is `both`

When a national goalkeeper saves a penalty in the last minute of a cup final and is hailed a hero by the whole country then surely a pilot whose calmness and skill under immense stress and pressure saves a whole plane load of people must surely be a true hero.

True, true hero in every sense.

If it was in this country I would not be surprised if he was prosecuted for cruelty to animals :lol:

Beat me to it Bosh, my sentiments entirely.

He's definitely not looking for praise either by keeping out of the media spotlight, which is all the more praiseworthy.

My airline pilot sister (flies Fokker 50s mainly) believes that this man's military background (during which he survived a number of crash landings) and extensive 'extra-curricular' CV in safety-related matters weighed heavily in his favour, and that a low hours pilot in his/her 20s who was trained up during the European budget airline boom of the last ten years wouldn't have stood a chance. She freely admits to having 'killed' herself on every simulator attempt she's made at a water landing. The odds of a successful water landing (successful = the fuselage doesn't break up) are so low that although pilots do practice ditching it in the sim, they are not required to carry it out successfully.