House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurt Barlow

Mr. Barlows Energy Independence

I know a number of members of the forum enjoy my practical energy independance / tinfoil survivalist threads. I am about to install a woodstove, indeed have mentioned it before. The project will be spread over the next 2-3 weeks as I have some other commitments that get in the way.

However if you would like me to blog the process I will post some piccies with some text and answer questions from those interested.

Any interest, a show of hands would be useful other wise I shall 'blog' it elsewhere.

Mods - feel free to put off topic although a little air play on the main thread would be appreciated.

The Stove is a contemporary type stove - a Westfire 21

westfire_21__Small_.jpg

post-10375-1232874660_thumb.jpg

I know a number of members of the forum enjoy my practical energy independance / tinfoil survivalist threads. I am about to install a woodstove, indeed have mentioned it before. The project will be spread over the next 2-3 weeks as I have some other commitments that get in the way.

However if you would like me to blog the process I will post some piccies with some text and answer questions from those interested.

Any interest, a show of hands would be useful other wise I shall 'blog' it elsewhere.

Mods - feel free to put off topic although a little air play on the main thread would be appreciated.

The Stove is a contemporary type stove - a Westfire 21

Good luck, woodfires are very mainstream over here and give stacks of heat and are very pleasant too.

Guest sillybear2

Your stove seems largely to be made of cardboard, I think you've been had. I think your initial chances of ignition are good, however.

Guest sillybear2
I have one big one in the house and another is going in shortly.

Is it one of those multi-fuel one's? So it accepts bundles of sterling, dollar and euro notes?

count me in.

one of these days we could also do with a rundown of what all you've done, how it's working, and the processes involved, pictures where possible etc.

I know you've said it all before, but repetition is learning you know?

thanks

I for one am interested in all energy saving malarky especially when it involves selling some back to the leccy company that I seem to recall from the TV news long before I found this site.

Is it also you KB that has the solar panel to help lift your water temp by 9 degrees IIRC, any more details threads or sites you could reccomend for quality info.

Thanks in advance & good luck with your project, hopefully the mods will agree and leave it hanging the main thread.

Edit :spelin innit

+1 for the blog please

When that faraway day comes that I eventually do buy, this is one of the first things I'll be doing.

Seconded, count me in please

Is it one of those multi-fuel one's? So it accepts bundles of sterling, dollar and euro notes?

Absolutely, I'm all into Gold now and will withdraw into fuel soon. The trick is doing it before they put extra noughts on the notes, thereby reducing the energy output/£1000 pounds.

Please do let us know how it goes Mr B.

I'm interested and want to know more about solar energy too, good luck with this project

I hope you have already bought one.

My parents back boiler on the coal fire cracked a couple of weeks ago, they cannot find a replacement fire anywhere, the manufacturer has a 6 week backlog and cannot build them fast enough. They also burn all the otehr fuels so have become stupid popular at the moment.

I have to wonder how long it will be till wood prices shoot and it stops being a money saving.

Where are you going to get the wood from?

A number of sources.

The allotment association site I am a member of has a huge boundary ditch which is ever infested with poplar suckers. Although not the best firewood it is free as I am at liberty to cut as much of it as I want. I have also had hawthorn and blackthorn which is better.

Having a couple of chainsaws means that I get the occasional call from a friend / relative. I get the wood plus what I consider to be payment for chainsaw wear, fuel, oil, plus some beer money. The exercise is great too.

I have a stash at my aunts from her garden - mainly oak and ash.

I took down a large conifer and 4 birch trees at a family friends last week in exchange for 1 years storage of the wood plus the above arrangement.

Local industrial estate a virtually limiotless supply of waste pallet wood.

Yesterdays haul from the allotment:

woodpile..jpg

post-10375-1232879609_thumb.jpg

count me in.

one of these days we could also do with a rundown of what all you've done, how it's working, and the processes involved, pictures where possible etc.

I know you've said it all before, but repetition is learning you know?

thanks

The idea is to share the practical elements - how one might do it for yourself and lesson the control corporations have over your life.

A number of sources.

The allotment association site I am a member of has a huge boundary ditch which is ever infested with poplar suckers. Although not the best firewood it is free as I am at liberty to cut as much of it as I want. I have also had hawthorn and blackthorn which is better.

Having a couple of chainsaws means that I get the occasional call from a friend / relative. I get the wood plus what I consider to be payment for chainsaw wear, fuel, oil, plus some beer money. The exercise is great too.

I have a stash at my aunts from her garden - mainly oak and ash.

I took down a large conifer and 4 birch trees at a family friends last week in exchange for 1 years storage of the wood plus the above arrangement.

Local industrial estate a virtually limiotless supply of waste pallet wood.

Yesterdays haul from the allotment:

Aldi have an offer on atm for an axe and logsplitter. It came online last thursday, but u might still be lucky! £10.69 each, bargain.

Get that lot, sawn, and chopped up ready for next autumn.

I'm interested and want to know more about solar energy too, good luck with this project

Next month I am installing a twin coil cyclinder as an improvement to the solar water heating. I doubled the panel size last September however still have a small tank and retrofit coil - which is far too small for summer use. I will 'blog' that plus an overview of DIY solar systems if there is sufficent interest.

The cylinder:

twin_coil.jpg

post-10375-1232880081_thumb.jpg

I have to wonder how long it will be till wood prices shoot and it stops being a money saving.

It's already a luxury of the rich (with land to coppice) and the crooked (who help themselves). Around here, the number of trees lost to them in just the last two years is incredible.