House Price Crash Forum

Dubai Reverting To Heap Of Sand In The Desert

dr ray

But there is no reason for Dubai's existence. Its in the middle of a desert built with a one off energy money bonanza. You can see why Singapore is build where it is. A large part of the world shipping has to pass through the straights. You can see why London was built at the mouth of a river for the same reason. Other cities sit in the center of grain producing regions to facilitate that trade. Yet Dubai? its a white elephant, a folly built in the sand to satisfy the vanity of some over rich shieks. Mving millions of tons of sand into the ocean in the form of palm tree so that they can have waterfront when there is plenty of open dessert says they have more money than sense.

Clearly you see little then.

Dubai is in a superb geographic location - The local Airline (Emirates) can take people from almost anywhere in the world to anywhere else in the world with just one stop - in Dubai. This makes it a great hub and good place for Global companies to have headquarters.

There are several million very wealthy people living within a few hours flight who live in very boring or volatile or restrictive countries. Dubai is a great place for them to escape to.

You should also know, if you researched such things, that oil/ energy makes up a very small part of Dubai's GDP.

Comments from posters like hayder annoy me. It is utter crap! They have either been laid off or its all b*llocks. Notice period? Selling everything off in a week?

how can you say its utter crap?? gave my resignation in on the 19th, sold furniture on the 20th and notified estate agent (lost 3 weeks rent in the process), closed the du and DEWA, closed one account and left one account open, sent the cash to the UK and handed back the car. it took 4 days.

i wasn't laid off by the way... (I don't work in anything barely related to real estate or construction), but the family were fed up after 2 years here and basically we just made the decision to go.

now i want to get back into research (am a PhD engineer from cranfield) and looking into singapore....

back on topic though.

dubai's a total hellhole, and I came here by accident (moved from UK office to dubai office with promise of tax free income plus accomodation etc.... you know the ruse). had I spent 5 years here (rather than 2) I'm pretty sure i could have bought a nice house in south ken around 2011.... (so can't say the "relative wealth" excuse peddled by many has any merit to be honest imho).

...............the people leaving dubai now do they have any savings and do they have jobs to go to.

the ones who consciously leave as soon as they are laid off or resign, yes.... the ones who stick around looking for another job are suckers.

(i saved quite a few quid, enough for a house in a dodgy part of london), this for "working" for 2 years.

back on topic though.

dubai's a total hellhole

It ain't as good as it once was, but "a total hell hole"? Not nearly close.

Been here way too long, but still have great friends here and a social life with them that beats the pants off the UK experience.

My kids got a 1st class education that was way ahead of what they were getting from the local school they attended in the UK before we left.

Well I'm going to defend it!

Dubai is not that different to any other western city with regards to its bubble. The main difference you get laid off here you go home. In the Uk you are home.

Lets remember where Dubai has come from in 25 years, yes they have made mistakes but they have also got alot of things right. I have laid off 80% of the staff out here. (in construction) most of them middle east expates, Jordanian, lebansese etc. It was difficult but ultimately the work practices with reagrds to construction consultancy are twenty years behind GB. I came here in August 08, knowing this was coming but the speed surprised me, however, i feel somewhat embarrased as alot of people working out in Dubai (westerners ) were batting way above their average, and this is somewhat hastened the down fall.

As for Duabi itself, it is a fascinating vibrant, safe, clean city. We all know the rules and we should abide by them. I have seen many things that would not be tolerated in the UK and are 'accommodated here.

I didn't come to Dubai to make lots of money. I came because I felt I had a better chance of financial survival out here than in the Uk. I was offered 3 UK jobs before taking the Dubai offer. I know for sure that all three UK companies would have laid me off by now.

As regards the projects - money and funding are tight to none existant. However, I only know of two projects that have been stopped mid construction. In the UK are know of streets where more projects have stopped half way up.

As regards the immigrant workers - it is difficult getting your head around it - we couldn't do it just visiting your children 1 month every year for alot of these workers it is there only option but to put it into perspective these guys can work in Dubai for 5 years, send money home and afford to buy a home when they go back to sri lanka or india, something which the average westerner couldn't do.

Comments from posters like hayder annoy me. It is utter crap! They have either been laid off or its all b*llocks. Notice period? Selling everything off in a week?

Dubai has many faults. They can claim naviety and greed. In the UK we do not have the luxury of blaming naviety.

bb - posted from a view of the burj dubai in 22 degrees of warm weather.

There are so many levels why your post is dreadful and one of the worst I have read for a while. Are you proud of yourself. Odds on you won't be so smug when you are back on a plane.

There are so many levels why your post is dreadful and one of the worst I have read for a while. Are you proud of yourself. Odds on you won't be so smug when you are back on a plane.

Thankyou - not very constructive. Post was rattled off whilst working.

Nobody likes laying people off but unfortunately when work gets cancelled you can't carry people. Also labour laws are particular stringent and the notice periods and gratuity bonuses can cripple companies. One of the reasons that the migrant workers are staying is that the contractors are owed such vast sums of money they can't pay the air fares home. The company I work for has also not been paid since July 08 by clients

I work in construction - there is no work in the UK. I need to keep my family fed and looked after so I will go and do whatever it takes. At the moment we are in Dubai and my wife and kids love it. Please don't believe everything you read in the papers because at the moment everywhere's crap.

Guest sillybear2
I work in construction - there is no work in the UK. I need to keep my family fed and looked after so I will go and do whatever it takes. At the moment we are in Dubai and my wife and kids love it. Please don't believe everything you read in the papers because at the moment everywhere's crap.

It's like an extended stay at a theme park, but I doubt they could tolerate the place for 10, 20 years. You know I'm right deep down.

how can you say its utter crap?? gave my resignation in on the 19th, sold furniture on the 20th and notified estate agent (lost 3 weeks rent in the process), closed the du and DEWA, closed one account and left one account open, sent the cash to the UK and handed back the car. it took 4 days.

i wasn't laid off by the way... (I don't work in anything barely related to real estate or construction), but the family were fed up after 2 years here and basically we just made the decision to go.

now i want to get back into research (am a PhD engineer from cranfield) and looking into singapore....

back on topic though.

dubai's a total hellhole, and I came here by accident (moved from UK office to dubai office with promise of tax free income plus accomodation etc.... you know the ruse). had I spent 5 years here (rather than 2) I'm pretty sure i could have bought a nice house in south ken around 2011.... (so can't say the "relative wealth" excuse peddled by many has any merit to be honest imho).

We employ a 'fixer' that can't do what you did in four days. Where about's were you living for your time to be this bad?

It's like an extended stay at a theme park, but I doubt they could tolerate the place for 10, 20 years. You know I'm right deep down.

Spot on. We'd like to stay for 3 years if poss and then review it but at the moment we take it week by week. If the company finally goes under (due to money owed) we will still probably stay till the end of the school year. We have nothing really to go back to and its cheaper to live here with no income than in the UK. With the pound dropping down 30% against the dirham we can still send money home.

I said right from the time Nakheel announced their 1mile high tower that it would never be built. The market was already crashing then, liquidity had dried up.

They insisted at the time that it would be built, but now they just look even more stupid.

I don't think Dubai will revert to a heap of sand. I do think that prices will crash spectacularly in a way that will put Britain to shame, 80-90%. All the 'luxury' blocks in the Marina will end up being cheap accommodation for asian workers at Internet and Media city and the surrounding area rather than homes for western expats.

Many workers are already leaving as jobs are lost, the population they were boldy predicting would continue to rocket will start to shrink and suddenly the surplus of apartments will be laid bare and rents are already crashing. Commercial rents will crash too and eventually it will reach a point where it is cheap enough that some international companies start to think about coming back.

The most stupid thing was that Dubai actually believed it could be a long term sustainable business centre and have eye-popping rents and costs at the same time. They did not any any time seem to realise that the absurd real estate costs would just price every other business out and pretty soon they'd be left with a train wreck.

Excellent name! :lol:

Thankyou - not very constructive. Post was rattled off whilst working.

Nobody likes laying people off but unfortunately when work gets cancelled you can't carry people. Also labour laws are particular stringent and the notice periods and gratuity bonuses can cripple companies. One of the reasons that the migrant workers are staying is that the contractors are owed such vast sums of money they can't pay the air fares home. The company I work for has also not been paid since July 08 by clients

Another classic, you are supposed to be working while you are skiving on the internet.

Somthing tells me your days are numbered. :lol:

Edited by buyerbeware

We employ a 'fixer' that can't do what you did in four days. Where about's were you living for your time to be this bad?

get yourself a better fixer then! it ain't rocket science to cancel your bills sell the furniture and empty the flat! FFS!

i lived in barsha btw (worked in DMC) - nothing media related mind you. now my colleagues are actually jealous that i had the balls to resign... unfortunately for them they are all lumbered with some ghastly apartment in marina or jbr that they need to keep up payments on... oh how smug i felt (inside) knowing that for the past 2 years i've had these guys gloating about how much "they made" on their pwopety... to finally see them become bonded labour because of it...

But there is no reason for Dubai's existence. Its in the middle of a desert built with a one off energy money bonanza. You can see why Singapore is build where it is. A large part of the world shipping has to pass through the straights. You can see why London was built at the mouth of a river for the same reason. Other cities sit in the center of grain producing regions to facilitate that trade. Yet Dubai? its a white elephant, a folly built in the sand to satisfy the vanity of some over rich shieks. Mving millions of tons of sand into the ocean in the form of palm tree so that they can have waterfront when there is plenty of open dessert says they have more money than sense.

OZYMANDIAS

I met a traveller from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,

Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown

And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,

The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains: round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,

The lone and level sands stretch far away.