House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Massive Land Grab Underway - In The Developing World

http://blog.newint.org/majority/2009/01/21...-of-capitalism/

A US business man, Philippe Heilberg, recently 'gained rights' to 400,000 hectares of land in Sudan from the son of a Sudanese warlord, Paulino Matip. The report states the man is backed by the CIA and the US State Department. The language used by Heilberg is extremely offensive. He seems to be investing on the back of people's suffering, claiming he is particularly interested in countries which may soon 'break up'

Probably not a bad idea - in investment terms - would turn my stomach to get mixed up in this kind of evil stuff.

Edited by gruffydd

A US business man, Philippe Heilberg, recently 'gained rights' to 400,000 hectares of land in Sudan from the son of a Sudanese warlord, Paulino Matip. The report states the man is backed by the CIA and the US State Department. The language used by Heilberg is extremely offensive. He seems to be investing on the back of people's suffering, claiming he is particularly interested in countries which may soon 'break up'

Old-fashioned imperialism. We helped ourselves to whatever we wanted, and backed that up with military force where necessary.

Back home, we have a history of land grab making you rich aristocracy. Even a modern relic of it in BTL to get rich.

....as we learned in zimbabwe it does not last, the way property prices are going down i cant see how this is a viable economic option, i think he purchased this from the concept of property never goes down mentality the world has changed.

The way the US economy is collapsing i think they will be pulling their troops out of as many places as possible, house prices in detroit may soon be cheaper than house prices in the sudan.

That works brilliantly if you have a private army to back up your ownership. Then you can exploit mineral rights or grow cash crops. I doubt the land per se is likely to have value any time soon.

For your average punter it's throwing money away.