House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
guitarman001

Britons 'bored But Happy'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7848244.stm

I like this bit, and couldn't agree more:

"The UK's long hours culture and record levels of personal debt, have squeezed out opportunities for individuals, families and communities to make choices and pursue activities that would best promote personal and social well-being."

Also:

"Governments have lost sight of fact that their fundamental purpose is to improve the lives of their citizens"

Given all the crap of the last year... er no, decade... and the possibility of money being printed and Britain going into meltdown... who wouldn't think of getting out of here right now. Working hours are too long (one reason I'm not going to America to work..), you don't get to know people like you would in a more European country (my trips to Germany, Spain and Switzerland last year were great for seeing how active the people can be, how they still go out and talk to each other!). Britain just seems so poor, and not just in monetary terms. Yes, I know, there are good things going for it, but it's still real depressing...

I like this bit, and couldn't agree more:

"The UK's long hours culture and record levels of personal debt, have squeezed out opportunities for individuals, families and communities to make choices and pursue activities that would best promote personal and social well-being."

Also:

"Governments have lost sight of fact that their fundamental purpose is to improve the lives of their citizens"

Given all the crap of the last year... er no, decade... and the possibility of money being printed and Britain going into meltdown... who wouldn't think of getting out of here right now. Working hours are too long (one reason I'm not going to America to work..), you don't get to know people like you would in a more European country (my trips to Germany, Spain and Switzerland last year were great for seeing how active the people can be, how they still go out and talk to each other!). Britain just seems so poor, and not just in monetary terms. Yes, I know, there are good things going for it, but it's still real depressing...

The reason you work long hours is because you spend all day posting on the internet.

the fundamental purposes of gov'ts are centralisation of wealth and centralisation of power; acheived by taking their citizens' money and civil liberties away.

Certainly true of a Labour government. The current crisis should shake things up a bit.

Yes it seems that the BBC want to encourage an 'It's only money, there are much more important things in life like health and happiness' attitude. They'll still be plugging this tiresome line even when we're upto our armpits in rats and £500000000 notes.

Working hours are too long (one reason I'm not going to America to work..), you don't get to know people like you would in a more European country (my trips to Germany, Spain and Switzerland last year were great for seeing how active the people can be, how they still go out and talk to each other!). Britain just seems so poor, and not just in monetary terms. Yes, I know, there are good things going for it, but it's still real depressing...

Whilst I agree with you that other countries generally have friendlier people, I can't agree you will work less hours in America. When i was travelling I met a fair few people from America and most got 2 weeks holiday a year. They thought i must have been some kind of comapny director to get 23 days a year.

I think the idea about being a bored nation is interesting. I think we've been overloaded with the possibility of so many interesting things to do and see, or to witness secondhand on TV, that we have a kind of collective ADHD and our boredom threshold has been lowered.

But a lot of the interesting things to do and see lost their appeal because they became the norm rather than a special treat. If I had to drive up and down the motorway every day for my job, if I had a new BMW instead of my ordinary boring car I'd be happier for a while but it wouldn't last. Now that we're in a recession, aspirations for doing 'interesting' things to relieve boredom have reduced for a lot of people because 'interesting' has become too connected with spending money.

In truth, the best investment might be a pair of good walking boots, a rucksack and an Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 map.

If you really want to splash out, maybe a mountain bike too.

The UK's long hours culture and record levels of personal debt,

The masses of the UK must work long hours to pay their tax's and service their debts , by the time many realise this fact they are to old or to deep into debts of their own making that they can't do anything about it ..........

Whilst I agree with you that other countries generally have friendlier people, I can't agree you will work less hours in America. When i was travelling I met a fair few people from America and most got 2 weeks holiday a year. They thought i must have been some kind of comapny director to get 23 days a year.

My point was that they're workaholics in America, so same viewopint as yours :) I know one guy from Intel who's not taken a single day's holiday in 10 years......

Yes it seems that the BBC want to encourage an 'It's only money, there are much more important things in life like health and happiness' attitude. They'll still be plugging this tiresome line even when we're upto our armpits in rats and £500000000 notes.

They're right, you know.

They're right, you know.

Yeah you're right, now if you wouldn't mind liquidating your assets and transferring the cash into my account you can go ahead and live the BBC dream of a poorer -but ultimately more fulfilling- future.

Now would be a great time to plan a new business venture. There must be enough expertise and financial backing among HPC members to plan setting up new property development companies to swing into action ready for the eventual upturn, stealing a lead over any of the old debt-ridden dinosaurs that might still be around!

Edited by blankster

But a lot of the interesting things to do and see lost their appeal because they became the norm rather than a special treat. If I had to drive up and down the motorway every day for my job, if I had a new BMW instead of my ordinary boring car I'd be happier for a while but it wouldn't last. Now that we're in a recession, aspirations for doing 'interesting' things to relieve boredom have reduced for a lot of people because 'interesting' has become too connected with spending money.

Psychologists have witnessed a massive and sustained leap in well being, when people perceive themselves as no longer poor.

Moving from a 3 bed semi to a mansion, has little lasting benefit to perceived well being.

Ultimately you live in your head and once the basics of life are secure misery is misery. Lady Di was as miserable as any depressed suburban housewife despite living in Kensington Palace.

I feel the fact we are social animals has been forgotten. We do not value or encourage communal and civic activity. Our local baths were pulled down and replaced with a joyless PFI "leisure" centre. It's aim is to screw as much money out of members as possible ;targeting paranoia about responsibility for ones own health.

No one goes there to play and have fun as a route to fitness , as with the old baths with their now unthinkable diving boards ; people go alone to train in I- pod isolation.

Laughing together and being cooperative as a group, is probably better for your health than hours on a bloody treadmill staring at MTV. IMHO

I think the idea about being a bored nation is interesting. I think we've been overloaded with the possibility of so many interesting things to do and see, or to witness secondhand on TV, that we have a kind of collective ADHD and our boredom threshold has been lowered.

In truth, the best investment might be a pair of good walking boots, a rucksack and an Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 map.

If you really want to splash out, maybe a mountain bike too.

Can't go wrong there, keeps you fit and focused. And once you've bought your kit it's free :)

Now would be a great time to plan a new business venture. There must be enough expertise and financial backing among HPC members to plan setting up new property development companies to swing into action ready for the eventual upturn, stealing a lead over any of the old debt-ridden dinosaurs that might still be around!

I'm not convinced there will be an upturn. Credit tried to hide the downward spiral.

Psychologists have witnessed a massive and sustained leap in well being, when people perceive themselves as no longer poor.

Moving from a 3 bed semi to a mansion, has little lasting benefit to perceived well being.

Ultimately you live in your head and once the basics of life are secure misery is misery. Lady Di was as miserable as any depressed suburban housewife despite living in Kensington Palace.

I feel the fact we are social animals has been forgotten. We do not value or encourage communal and civic activity. Our local baths were pulled down and replaced with a joyless PFI "leisure" centre. It's aim is to screw as much money out of members as possible ;targeting paranoia about responsibility for ones own health.

No one goes there to play and have fun as a route to fitness , as with the old baths with their now unthinkable diving boards ; people go alone to train in I- pod isolation.

Laughing together and being cooperative as a group, is probably better for your health than hours on a bloody treadmill staring at MTV. IMHO

Good post hankdd.

I feel the fact we are social animals has been forgotten. We do not value or encourage communal and civic activity. Our local baths were pulled down and replaced with a joyless PFI "leisure" centre. It's aim is to screw as much money out of members as possible; targeting paranoia about responsibility for ones own health.

Absolutely! It's because a market-driven economy only values what can be packaged up and sold to people. My other pet hate is shopping centres that are built on "private" land. So they shut gates, patrol with security guards etc out of shopping hours - when they can't get money out of people. So what was public space is privatised so kids can't play there.

The conclusion should be that we need to break the obsession with the production and exchange of money, which is not the same as the production and exchange of goods. Communal and civic activity are public goods but they are systematically destroyed in an advanced capitalist society because they have no market value so they can't be suborned by the rich as a way of taxing the rest of us.

Yes.

Unfortunately ideas like 'community' disappeared when they were rebranded.